It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Empty
PostSubject: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 pm

I have a week off for vacation and would love to take a road trip with Caper. There are some beautiful beaches and trails along the california coast that I'm sure we'd both love! Very excited just planning the route Very Happy

I'm planning to put him on a 25 foot lead attached to my waist (what we've been doing locally) and camp in the car for a few days. What basic things should I know, have, and be ready for?

Also, he is still very distractible and although he knows "leave it", "drop it", recall and "let's go" if he's lagging, but I have to constantly police him and remind him every few minutes to focus on moving along. Do you think it's safe/practical to try a trip or should we wait until he's older and a bit calmer? I don't know if after a while of being saturated with nature he'll stop being so intensely fascinated with everything and be happier with just moving along.

I hear of so many people bringing their imperfectly trained dogs on trips and am wondering how they make it through. Any advice would be appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 am

We took Dizzy hiking for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was a blast. He was fascinated with a lot of stuff, but didn't have a problem moving along. I had his harness on him and he was happy to follow the trail, I think they have an instinct to do that. He definitely wanted to check stuff out and I had to have him move along, but he did fine. You should go for it! You'll have a ball. Smile
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 10:08 am

Rhia and I took Karli and Korra for their first real hike two months ago I think it was. And it was a blast! As long as you keep moving, he'll keep moving. We didn't have that long of a lead for the girls, they stuck pretty close to us. It was a lot of fun and they really enjoyed it!

Some of the things to remember, poop bags!!! A bowl for water (I have a collapsable one.) Musher's secret or something similar (I got the petsmart brand on short notice.) Treats will make it easier to get him to keep moving. It'll be fun!!
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for the responses! Are your doggies well-trained to stick close to you and ignore deer/dogs/animals to begin with? Caper will stick by me off leash in a ~25ft radius but if he sees a dog or running person he will definitely try to go say hi (no more lunging/freaking out thank god). Deer, rabbits, skunks = game over as far as focusing. Also if he finds something interesting to smell, I'm sure he would sniff it for so long that he wouldn't notice that I'm out of sight if I don't say anything.

I keep picturing those mellow 6-year old yellow labs lumbering in a permanent heel position by their owners on hikes, oblivious to all the wonderful dog-enticing things of the world around them, and wonder if that's the level I have to reach before being able to take him into public.

What about the car camping? Any experiences sleeping in a car with your dog?? Smile
Back to top Go down
NewComer
Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyMon Aug 19, 2013 10:23 pm

We decided to make the hiking trip local (about 1hr drive from home) and break it into a 3 day trip so that no camping was involved. Today was the first part, and we hiked up Mt Tamalpais in Marin County to start off with. It was amazing, and SO MUCH FUN. Wish I had an actual camera for photos!

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Img_0610

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Img_0611

The views were absolutely breathtaking (much like Casper David Friedrich's "wanderer above the sea of fog" in the early morning). Caper was wearing his pulling harness attached to a six ft lead attached to a belt around my waist. We had zero problems with him behaviorally. There were a couple of times towards the end of the hike where he saw lizards dashing out from the brush and tried to pounce on them, but didn't bolt down the side of the mountain like I thought he would. No pulling or lunging at all!

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Img_0612
Starting out at the paved entrance

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Img_0613
Enjoying the view or thinking about all the animals he could be chasing!

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Img_0614
Early to catch the sunrise Smile

We were going doggie pace, with Caper leading at a quick trot! We jogged for over 4 hours straight up then down the mountain with a 15 minute break (that Caper wanted to skip!) once we got to the peak. He is tireless, and we all got a great workout :O

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Img_0615
Starting up again from a water break

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Img_0618
In the shade at the top.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Our first official hike was a great success!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 1:34 am

Love the low clouds in the pics, looks like u both got in a great workout!

Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 pm

The clouds were like a living creature slithering over the hills and mountain ridges towards the ocean. Never seen anything quite like it, a movie-esque scene for sure! I think I sense the start of a hiking addiction here :)Jennifer, you go hiking with your two quite often right? What do you bring for them as far as food goes to keep their blood sugar up?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 pm

i pack their dog food, i think they get about 1.5cups each, some at the summit and the rest at the car after unless they are really hungry then they get it all at the summit. i also pack any high protein treat i can find. Costco will get in these salmon nuggets that are light weight and tasty, and some times they have freeze dried liver treats that are light and good to, or dog jerky. i give them treats at every other water break on the way up. then less on the way down as they dont need it as much and had just had a big meal at the summit. they also think marmot poo is the best tasting thing ever so they pick that up on the trail Rolling Eyes 

Puppy
Puppy
NewComer

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyWed Aug 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks, I'll pack more treats on our next trip. I'd been wondering what to bring for him. He was even less interested in dog food and even people food when we are out with all the interesting sights and smells. The only thing he would eat was the cheese, jerky, boiled pork treats I brought to reward good behavior but it was nowhere near enough to keep him energized. Lol, Caper also found a certain type of poo delicious, but I'll have to step up my scatological skills to find out what animal it's from Smile
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 1:23 am

It took my blu on his first camping trip this summer, the things I found to be handy was, a steak tie out (so he could hang out but be safe) a kiddy pool (it got hot... Plus he like to lounge in it like its a sofa <_<). And all the usual dog stuff.

a word of advice for beaches... This is something I learned quick as me and blu are on the beaches here year round. Watch out for sea life carcasses (crabs fish turtles that sort of thing) if I remember from my youth California beaches are fairly clean but here I. Jersey the beaches are filled with dead crabs turtles and other various stuff... But doesn't hurt to keep an eye out for those sorts of things ahead of him/her.

and of course pack a ball... I love playing fetch on the beach. Smile
Back to top Go down
riggaberto
Puppy
Puppy
riggaberto

Male Join date : 2013-04-28

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 2:45 am

Always like to see advice posts followed up with positive results!

I've hiked with Chuck about 5 miles on just a lead, but the it didn't go that well, lots of pulling. It was light pulling, not pulling my arm out of my socket, but it gets old. I think I'll wait until he's full-ish size to buy him a harness for more hiking :/ I'd okay with some light pulling he he were to be attached at the waist.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?   When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you? Empty

Back to top Go down

When were your doggies ready to go on a hiking trip with you?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1