It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do you recommend obedience training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Moe4babylon
Newborn
Newborn
Moe4babylon

Male Join date : 2013-06-28

Do you recommend obedience training Empty
PostSubject: Do you recommend obedience training   Do you recommend obedience training EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 am

I have a 6 month gorgeous husky who has his times. At times i go out with him his calm, quiet, playful at others he bites alot jumps as well. And his realy bad at walking he wont stop pulling. So im thinking of taking him to obedience school and i wanted to know if its worth it. If it is should i take him to an obedience club or at a local pet store that has obedience training.
Thank you
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Do you recommend obedience training   Do you recommend obedience training EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Short answer; yes.

Long winded answer; yes, however do a bit of research and make sure you know who your hiring. ask the trainer for their credentials (any worth while trainer will have gotten certified by some sort of training school and will happily give this information out) also see if you can find customer reviews or testimonials from previous clients, most will have this avaliable on their website... there's also a number of company review sites that will have reviews of past expirences with these people.

Also make sure that the class sizes arn't too big (i wouldn't join any class that has a total of 6 dogs at maximum in it.) the bigger the class the less time the instructor will have to give indavidual attention if need be. also the more dogs/people the more distractions you'll have.

Make sure you like this person, if she/he give you a bad vibe or you dont like they're personality or approach to thing's... dont sign up. remember you'll be learning along side your pup and you need to feel comfortable in trusting this person.

Taking group/indavidual classes from a trainer works just as well as the group classes offered at your local pet store, in some ways the pet store classes may be better quality in the long run than going to a trainer. it all depends on the person and what they're willing to do.

As an example, the group classes at our local petsmart teaches sit, stay, shake, lay down, drop it, and leave it cues. while a trainers classes i join only spent 5 weeks teaching us how to walk on a leash(yep, definately a waste of time and money if i've ever seen one lol)... so it all boils down to the indavidual trainer and how far they are willing to go.

TlDR; yes, but do your research on the trainer... ask questions. dont jump the gun on the first one that comes around.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you recommend obedience training   Do you recommend obedience training EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 2:57 pm

I say yes as well. Extra training and socialization is always a good thing for your dog.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Do you recommend obedience training   Do you recommend obedience training EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I am halfway through an 8 week obedience course with Orion and it is doing him (and I) the world of good - even though he is an absolute tyke in class!

If your dog tends to jump at others (Orion does this too) I would recommend getting a leash with a traffic handle in in before you start classes it helps to be able to hold them. I didn't have one at the start of the classes and I ended up with a lot of rope burn on my hands because of it. I also have Orion on a martingale collar for training just in case.

I agree with everything said about researching trainers it is very important especially since not ever trainer out there is particularly knowledgeable on the breed or very forgiving of their tendencies. Also when you are deciding on trainer be honest with them, tell them what exactly you are wanting to get out of the class and ask how they cover it in their program and what there teaching style is - do they show you, just tell you or explain it then personally work with each person? I ended up in the class we are in because of the teaching style of the trainers rather than the content - they focus on training the owners just as much as the dogs and realistically it is us as owners that need the training because once a week for 8 weeks is never going to magically going to train a dog its the work at home that really gets results Smile

Our class is quite large there are 12 dogs and owners however there are 3 trainers at every session so the class gets divided in two then the third trainer goes around the class assisting anyone having particular trouble which is great. I also think it is beneficial to note to the trainer and the class if your dog does not do particularly well with a certain breed or sized dog so you can avoid them in class. I know that sounds a bit backwards for socializing but I think it is better not to push the boundaries of your dog too quickly especially in new situations.

Long story short yes I think it is worth it Smile
Back to top Go down
Moe4babylon
Newborn
Newborn
Moe4babylon

Male Join date : 2013-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you recommend obedience training   Do you recommend obedience training EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 2:27 am

Thanks for the advice, I enrolled him today at wiltja dog obedience class, i have seen some of the results with huskies and other breeds and they were extremely well. The trainers all had ceritficates, but the one thing im not sure about is putting a choke chain on him. Yes he walks alot better in one lesson with it but will it hurt him, or our bond im trying to build? And he was impossible to train to walk properly before with a flat collar.
Thanks you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you recommend obedience training   Do you recommend obedience training Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you recommend obedience training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1