It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bikejoring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

Bikejoring - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Yes I got that and this and where does the D ring go?

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secure/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=236
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:37 pm

Loki's first attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yag1ZHklf5g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 pm

glad you got it all set up, not bad for a first try!

Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Thank you didn't want to work him to hard the first time out.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Aww he did good, I'm sure it'll get better as he gets accustomed to it.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Neat! I can't wait til April (when Juneau turns 1) so I can try! Great job. Btw, love your cammed GTO in the other videos lol.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Yeah I cannot wait till Anna turns 1 either. I am soooooo excited!
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:36 pm

VintageJeans wrote:
Neat! I can't wait til April (when Juneau turns 1) so I can try! Great job. Btw, love your cammed GTO in the other videos lol.

Thanks my wife calls it my mistress Very Happy
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:05 pm

So I just got back from my broken wrist. Today was the first day back. Maggie and I are a little rusty. Hey no falls or almost falls! Thank god.

I made a new bike attachment so hopefully this one will do its job. lol

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:20 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
So I just got back from my broken wrist. Today was the first day back. Maggie and I are a little rusty. Hey no falls or almost falls! Thank god.

Don;t you ever get terrified? I don't mind doing it with Delilah - but I think Cato would knock me on my butt
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:54 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
norbreedslove wrote:

Don;t you ever get terrified? I don't mind doing it with Delilah - but I think Cato would knock me on my butt

yes but I taught her the commands and she is pretty good at them most days. If I say whoa she will stop and lay down. lol!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 3:55 pm

Must be cato is a psycho - i can't get him to listen in harness. Only on a nylon choke Sad

How logn did it take fro you to teach that command?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Well whoa didn't take that long , I dunno she got it in 2 weeks. She is such a lazy bum and any command to rest she will take it. lol

I taught her commands in the harness before I started on the bike.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm

Quote :
Well whoa didn't take that long , I dunno she got it in 2 weeks. She is such a lazy bum and any command to rest she will take it. lol

I taught her commands in the harness before I started on the bike.

Yeah we did the same.

I can't say how long it took with Tika because it kind of just happened but I use STOP when we get to a corner with traffic.... I would make her full stop and sit down. Maybe somewhere around the 4 month mark or so just started to really get it so a month of training in all?

Ripley does it now too, and the full stop seems to always be respected by both, I however sometimes still have to request a sit. Ripley walks like a dream though and has ever since we got her off her choker. It really didn't take long for her to get it.

We have just kind of always said it during our walks because I like them to be calm around traffic, and in an ideal world I like to think if they got loose and to a street they normal are asked to stop at they would.... I know that's not going to happen but I like to THINK it will.

I didn't foresee I would be joring with the pups ever, but having them pull me down a road at full speed has quickly become one of the most enjoyable things for all 3 of us. Most of them time calling STOP at top speeds makes them slow down to the point they do a dead stop (they learned fast I can't full stop on blades, as there is no edge to dig like on ice, and seem to ease me into it).

The only time it fails is if Ripley sees a critter, or Tika sees another dog. Then I don't even try because it won't work (and those are the times I get to go REALLY REALLY REALLY fast)... I let them get me up to top speed and skate out strong and wide and use their momentum to get them by their fixation and back to running with me and not in "sled head" mode.

It's a work in progress and they get better at it every day. Ripley isn't nearly as prey driven as she once was, and Tika has calmed down considerably around other dogs while leashed.

If you can find a way you can safely get them to pull you it is a remarkable experience I recommend to everyone. Ripley seems bred to do it. I don't think I can say I've seen her more excited or happy to be doing anything else and getting to run and top speed. I wouldn't say it's Tika's favorite thing in the world to do, but she definitely doesn't protest when I get her all harnessed up and out the door.

Watching them both tear off at full speed, with their ears back, and head low is truly something special to see and I'm happy I get to be a part of it.

~Chris~

Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 2:16 am

Took Loki out today I turned on my allsport gps on my phone before we headed out. We did a little over 3.5 miles in about 30 minutes with a total time of 50 minutes. Ran into a lady running with her red and white husky on Ann Arbor Trail and I-275.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2006953
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:34 am

Took Loki out on our normal route today. We completed 3.33 miles in 27 minutes with a top speed of 14.7 mph. He is doing better but to me it seems like he starts out fast then doesn't want to "line out" at all.

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/2028874
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bikejoring   Bikejoring - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bikejoring

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2