It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Empty
PostSubject: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Just curious. He doesn't look anything like the Sibes I'm familiar with today, and I've never seen a predominantly black Siberian. Other than his paws and chest, he looks completely black in the old pics and available footage. I can't find anything saying that he's NOT a purebred Sibe, so I'm confused. Haha!

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Realbalto266

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Balto-Kaasens

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Gunnar_Kaasen_with_Balto
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm

The color doesn't throw me off so much, they come in any color and any pattern, but his face as a puppy looks nothing like a husky to me. Weird!
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Yes, Balto is a pure bred Sibe. He is what is called a "Seppela" line Siberian. Hopefully Lani or Ceara will see this, as they know MUCH more about this then I do.

The Siberians of that time are a lot different then the Sibes we see now. There is a distinct line in Siberian breeders/owners who think Siberians with Seppela line in them should be an entire different breed apart from Siberian Huskies. IMO, Seppela is just a LINE, not a breed. Yes, the line looks a lot different then the modern lines do, but a Sibe is a Sibe is a Sibe.

The black is a registered color of the Siberian. You can have all black (Jet Black is the "looser term", I think), and all sorts of different blacks. You should join "Colors of the Siberian Husky" on FB. Debbie is a color FREAK and I have learned a lot from her site. There is this thing called KB blacks, monochrome blacks...all sorts of crazy stuff. You'd love it there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 pm

Yup, they come in almost all colors!

If you look at Metchta's scrapbook, look on page 12 and you can see her sire which was mostly black.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t8215p220-time-to-share-a-secret-with-you-allmechta-s-photodump?highlight=photodump
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 12:42 am

Yes Balto would be considered a purebred he was not the 'ideal' design of the Siberian which is why Seppala had him neutered at a young age. (keep in mind though this was a time before the breed was officially recognized by the AKC.) You can see he still has a very 'typie' head IMO though he is a lot heavier in bone, more of a freight type dog, than what the Siberian should be.

Here are some examples of the mostly black Siberian still seen today-

Kiana Siberians-
Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Mannie
Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Mannie2

Karen Yeargain-
Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. 188827_1835282634242_5920353_n

Jill Wilson-
Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. 1014009_10200367725215083_320791203_n
Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. 598590_10200690220117254_844332279_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 8:25 am

My Loki is considered a "Jet Black"  jet blacks have no white undercoat (Loki's is black) they can have some white as he does on his belly, tip or tail, etc.  Also to be a true Jet Black the roof of the mouth must be bi colored, (Loki has black spotting in his mouth and on his gums. ).  This is the info I got from my vet who is a Husky nut lol.

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Loki_p10

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. 55904510
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 pm

I don't mean to threadjack, but June, that puppy picture is SO CUTE! Looks like he's saying, 'How YOU doin'? Wink' haha

Hmmm. Juneau looks a lot like Loki, but I'm not sure if she's jet black. Her roof of the mouth is bi-colored. Her paws are bi-colored as well. Her dad was completely black, but I'm not sure if he was a pure sibe. Her mom was a typical gray-white husky. I found her on cragslist from an older lady.

Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 4:45 pm

LOL I know Jackie--Loki has always had "attitude" it sows in his pics lol. If Juneau has a white undercoat she wouldn't be considered jet black. It looks like she does in the pics but it's hard to tell. Still can't get over how much they look alike. Beautiful dogs!!!!
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 6:34 pm

HuskyMom09 wrote:

Karen Yeargain-

Jill Wilson-
You know Karen and Jill? Small world!

And thanks to everyone who replied. Seeing a mostly solid black Sibe is odd. I'm sure there aren't too many out there. Funny that the most popular Sibe in history is a black one though. Ha! And yes, he doesn't look at all like the Sibes we see today. Looks like a mixed breed to me. I love the history of the Seppala lines and the origins of the Sibe. I remember reading somewhere that most of the Sibes we own and love today can be traced back to those very dogs who ran the Iditarod in 1925 to save the children of Nome. Pretty amazing!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Many -many- siberians from that time were actually heavily masked, dark colors, agoutis, piebalds, white etc. (read: many things that we do not see much of today)   Seppala himself at one point actually was trying to breed for all white/blue eyed dogs. Fun fact.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Histoire-des-courses-mythiques-et-des-grands-mushers/553886141302105

The man who runs this page shares amazing historical photos of the breed and you can very well see all of the variations in size and color that the breed comes in.

Also, like Kelsey said, we have a group called "Colors of the Siberian Husky" that is all about education and run by the woman who bred my red girl.  It's a pretty fantastic group and a chance to see many different variations of coat colors that are still around in the breed today.

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 8:19 pm

counter wrote:

HuskyMom09 wrote:

Karen Yeargain-

Jill Wilson-
You  know Karen and Jill? Small world!

And thanks to everyone who replied. Seeing a mostly solid black Sibe is odd. I'm sure there aren't too many out there. Funny that the most popular Sibe in history is a black one though. Ha! And yes, he doesn't look at all like the Sibes we see today. Looks like a mixed breed to me. I love the history of the Seppala lines and the origins of the Sibe. I remember reading somewhere that most of the Sibes we own and love today can be traced back to those very dogs who ran the Iditarod in 1925 to save the children of Nome. Pretty amazing!
My main leader Mason is from Karen and out of Roper and Cooper that run on Jill's team! We run with Jill frequently since we live only an hour apart Smile I'm actually meeting up with Karen this weekend, getting ready for the 2013/14 season!
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
dahowlers
Adult
Adult
dahowlers

Female Join date : 2012-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 10:05 pm

I didn't know Balto was a purebred. I should probably question Disney more than I do lol! 
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 10:32 pm

O.k. my turn, just 'cuz I wanna type something. I do believe that Balto's "problem" from Seppala's point of view was that he was to stocky, I think what he was looking for was lean fast racing dog. Can't remember why I think that, but I do. Lastly, Balto is on display in a Museum in Cleveland Ohio, the whole team was brought to the lower 48 for a "good will" tour. After all the hoopla cooled down they were app sold to a dime museum and put on display in deplorable conditions. The city of Cleveland took pity on the dogs and purchased them and they lived out there lives in the Cleveland zoo. History channel or PBS, one of the two for the credit.
Back to top Go down
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 11:05 pm

Something that also has to be taken into consideration is that back in those days, the breed was yet to be developed and basically consisted of various landraces imported from Russia.  Depending on how you look at it, the Sibes back then weren't purebred as many of the imports came from different tribes and trading posts, and not just the one that is commonly advertised (Chukchi/Chukotka).  So with that in mind, there was a greater variety in appearance between Sibes before standards became popular.  Even now though, there is still a great variety in appearance depending on the purpose (show, race, other) and lines.

Funny enough, the first picture of Balto make me think of a cousin breed, the Russo European Laika:
Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Russo%20European%20Laika%20(1)_0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.   Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before. Empty

Back to top Go down

Was Balto a purebred Sibe? Never seen a 95% black Sibe before.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1