It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Me & Ghost
Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

Female Join date : 2012-11-30

people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? Empty
PostSubject: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 1:39 pm

I went with Ghost to a meeting of dogs that had alot of activities (marathon, taking pictures, printing a shirt with your dog's print...). There were alot of dogs there, like a thousand. We met many dogs and a few huskies, but Ghost didn't mind any of them, maybe because they didn't pay him any attention. Then we met this white husky that was exactly like Ghost, I mean they were like copies of each other, but she was a female so she was smaller and had less fur. They got crazy with each other to the point that Ghost broke his leash (the hook went flying... lucky for us we had brought an extra leash) The owner of the dog told my brother that her daughter was looking for a male husky to mate with Narnia (the female dog). They both exchanged numbers. I told my bother that I was against that but he went behind my back and called the lady. When my brother came home a few days later (he moved out, so he doesn't live with me anymore), he told me that he had called the lady and to our surprise Ghost and Narnia are Brother and sister! o.O It was a huge coincidence 'cause we don't even live in the same city.
So, do you think dogs recognize their relatives by their scent? I find it difficult but I would like to hear your opinions.

P.S. Of course the mating is off.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Is she in heat currently? I would guess the excitement was more about that sent than being related...
Back to top Go down
Me & Ghost
Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 1:55 pm

No, I don't think she was, and there were many female dogs there and he only paid attention to her :S
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I got a mother-daughter pair at different times, I got the mother and then acquired her daughter a year later.  I had really hoped they'd recognize each other by scent when we added the daughter to our pack.  They acted like they'd never met before in their lives for some time while they adjusted to having each other around.  They never got excited to see each other or even remotely interested in each other.  To this day I don't think they recognized each other even though they lived with each other for over 2 years before we took the mother into our home first.

As for recognizing people, I know they can recognize by both sight and scent.

Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Not a dog, but I had a cat that I had as a teen (13 or 14) and she was an outside cat as much as I resented it. Seriously 2 months before her spay appt, she popped out kittens. We adopted them out, and one went to our neighbor. Well, the neighbor was neglecting the poor boy (he was white and fluffy with huge blue eyes, so of course everyone wanted him), and I stole him one night (it's okay, they never even noticed). Feisty literally went at the poor boy to kill him. He had been across the street for LESS then 2 weeks. So no, I don't think so lol. She finally stopped trying to rip him apart after a week, but she literally wanted to kill him.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 am

I don't know about their family members, my old pup nova used to get to see her mother every week for a while after I brought her home then we went down to once a month til Nova was about 7 to 9 months old and the last time I brought her over her mother decided she hated her took one look at her and started snarling. That was the last visit we had the their house.

As for human family my dogs always seem to remember who is who by how their cars ran, my two I am told start whining when I get like two doors down. They don't do that when I am home and someone else comes home but my mother swears she can tell I am home when both of them start whining in their crates. Nova used to go by times and I swear to god that dog could count very well. She knew when I should be home from school and if I was more then 2-3 minutes late she would yell at my grandmother til I pulled in the drive, college was rough on her because I constantly changed schedules, did night classes and would stay working on my papers, paintings or sculptures past midnight if I was allowed. And if I went to visit my mother and siblings Nova seemingly caught onto how many days I would be gone, if I said on friday that I would be home if two days she would be mope until Sunday then get excited if I decided to stay another day she would be a grouch in a major way lay in the room refuse to eat and go out until I got home. It got to were we told Nova when I would be home and I had to make sure I got home that day or I got a bunch of yelling from the dog and a nasty cold shoulder for up to a week afterwards. My gram used to say Nova was to smart for her own good and did not like to be lied to.
Back to top Go down
Me & Ghost
Puppy
Puppy
Me & Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 10:55 am

Ahahaah, I loved Nova's story. These dogs are incredibly smart :O
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?   people - Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do dogs recognize family members or people by their scent?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1