It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need help with Nanook

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

Male Join date : 2013-02-26

Need help with Nanook Empty
PostSubject: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:03 pm

This could fit under so many categories on here..medical, nutrition, training...ugh.
I will just list everything might be easier then going into a big story.

1. Does not listen at all, I can not get him to come, stay, leave it, he will not let me put a leash on him for walks ...and when I do he started pulling like crazy and OMG he just jumps all over everyone that walks through the door. He grabs dishes out of the sink, trash is normally put away but I pull it out when I am making dinner to toss stuff and he WILL NOT stay out of it for that 5 minutes, even with me standing right there..he get crazy and keeps going back and back and back.

2. He is completely crazy over eating socks...yes I try to keep them picked up but giving even the slightest opening and I do mean the slightest opening ( he will try to take them off your feet) he grabs and gulps. I use to be able o trade him for something better when he would get ahold of something he isn't suppose to have but not anymore..no trading

3. Has started marking everything in the house. I do not know if it is because he just learned he can lift his leg to pee and he thinks it is cool or if maybe he has a uti...but he doesn't leak or dribble...it is a full on leg lift marking. Can not being fixed yet be the issue here? We were going to do it in Aug. when I got my hours back at work but my hours are still only one day a week ( a whole different grip there LOL)

I am sure there is more but I can not think of them now. I was so proud before to say I had such a well behavied husky. He was pretty darn good...never chewed on anything, didn't jump much, and he listened so good. Is this just a phase?? I try to stay firm with him but OMG..he just doesn't see or hear me when I do. It is like I am not even here. It started about 3 weeks ago and at first I thought it is because his favorite person ( my 12 year old daughter) was sick with pneumonia and was a little uninterested with playing with him. He didn't get ignored or anything with 4 other people in the house that play with him just as much as she does but you could tell that he missed her attention and maybe that was why he was acting out. She has been her normal self for the past few weeks now and he has been getting worse.

I know he needs more exercise...his lack of cooperation in the leash and hardness is making it hard to get our normal walks in and playing outback seems to uninterest him these day.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:28 pm

Oh Serena, your post made me laugh, but only because Nanook's birthday buddy is pretty much the same, minus the socks and marking (Link is neutered, though).  

To be perfectly honest, Nanook sounds perfectly normal for his age.  As for specific how-to-deal suggestions, I'm sure they will fly here in a second.  But rest assured, you're not alone and Nanook isn't unique Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm

It sounds to me lie Nanook has hit the teenage phase Wink
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Well, it does make me feel a little better knowing it is not something I am doing wrong LOL
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 pm

I always heard of the husky teen phase...but...I had NO IDEA it could happen with a snap of a finger and their whole personality would change. He is seriously my teen daughter in dog form. I think he just rolled his eyes at me. This is why I had my kids 4 years apart from each other...I didn't want to go through this with multiple children at once. I guess that well laid out plan of mine back fired jocolor

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyWed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Haha, based on this alone you are doing nothing wrong, you're just raising a brat for whom you can do nothing right Smile

Sometimes everything seems like a jousting match or a contest of wills, right?  The unsolicited provocation whenever he wants, yeah?  The play bows and talking back, yes?  The stubborn selective hearing and getting ignored by him, perhaps?

Yup.  Nanook/Link...same birthday, same brat.  

One thing we see though is that while all of this is happening, Link is more and more physically affectionate and he has become quite the lover while being a brat.  And we can just see his little cognitive wheels turning now on a more advanced level.  This is a great time to be consistent and stern and teach right from wrong because now it can be fully comprehended.  Also, this is a great time to insist that good things...whatsoever...must come from obedience.  So don't give in to unsolicited provocation, ever.  Don't let his insistence, stubbornness, or bratty cleverness result in anything worth having: treats, food, pets, play, social time...nothing.  Now that he can comprehend right and wrong (even though it takes longer with more effort) you can continue to reinforce that good things come from obedience to  you.  

If he nudges or nips to provoke play: ignore him, say Sit or Down, and then play.

If he talks or yelps or barks for food: ignore him, Say Sit or Down, and then feed him.

If he pulls while walking: stop dead in  your tracks and wait for him to Sit before proceeding. Repeat, repeat, repeat.  

If while playing his teeth-on-skin gets too much: stop, ignore him, and walk away.

Etc.  

This is the worst time to allow misbehavior and brattyness to become self-rewarding.

We do these things, hopefully, when they are puppies but now the difference is that they have the cognitive ability to understand it so much better.  And remember, the rewards for your effort may not be apparent now. In fact, it seems like a complete waist of time more often than not.  But, it is their very normal nature to be this defiant right now.  Your persistent leadership and role modelling will take hold on them ongoing.  Your goal now is not to have the perfect teenage Husky, because that's impossible by design, but to lay the groundwork for having the perfect adult Husky, because that's very possible.  

Stay with it.  And hopefully have some fun.  Link wants to play so much now, and he can now catch balls in many different fashions and spin and play hide and seek and talk like crazy like those wonderful Youtube Husky videos.   This is a great time to teach Nanook new games and play.  Take full advantage of his cognitive stage.  

It definitely takes some reading between the lines and PATIENCE but your efforts matter and are making an impact.    Imagine the Nanook you want in 6 months.  Aim high and shoot.  

And upload more pics Wink

Last edited by seattlesibe on Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:03 am

One day last week, Jen (Dizzy's mom) and I were in the daily highjack thread complaining and venting about our teenage Huskies. Kinda felt like we were in online group therapy. I feel like there was a huge influx of members around the time our pups were born, so there are a lot of 6-12 month olds on here.

You are amongst folks who sympathize.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:41 am

I feel so much better, thank you.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 6:26 am

Oh wow, I'm sorry but this cracked me up!!

I too have a brat on my hands and yes he adores socks! Luckily I work for a sock manufacturer though so replacements are easy to come by Razz 

I'm with Jeff on this one, consistency is absolutely key in this stage although the little brats definitely don't make it easy! Orion has moments where he is incredibly sweet then the next instance he is following me room from room right on my heels wooing at me for not apparent reason Need help with Nanook 1625187496 

Hang in there and if you ever need a giggle to get you through Nanooks antics I'm sure every one of us on here could share some horrendous stories to share!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 am

seattlesibe wrote:
One day last week, Jen (Dizzy's mom) and I were in the daily highjack thread complaining and venting about our teenage Huskies.  Kinda felt like we were in online group therapy.  I feel like there was a huge influx of members around the time our pups were born, so there are a lot of 6-12 month olds on here.

You are amongst folks who sympathize.  
Yes! That was the first thing I thought of lol. Jeff called it the teenage husky blues, and I'm totally with ya. I dropped Dizzy off at daycare this am, and he started wooing the minute we walked in and then freaked out when I left him there. That was a first, normally when we go there its like, 'who are you again, oh right, i don't give a crap because I'm here to PLAY!' He's getting way more attached and bonded to me and now follows me into the bathroom and lays right next to the toilet. I mean right next to it, there is only about 6" between the toilet and the counter, and he squeezes in there. BUT, he's also a total brat now too. He's not allowed on the couch unless invited and yesterday we came home from the dog park and he was all wet and stinky. He just walked in the door and took a running leap onto the couch as soon as I let him off leash, and then zoomied on the couch, yeah, hello time out. He's only tried to mark in the apartment once, and he got in HUGE trouble, I think I put the fear of God in him on that one, but he occasionally tries to mark in the stairway. I mean the railing posts do look a bit like fire hydrants, but I know the 'sniff' look, so I can catch that before it happens.

Anyway, I could go on and on about this, as I'm sure many of us can. I have started teaching him tricks. I have to get to a difficulty level that makes him think though before I know it will take the edge off the teen behavior. I know I'm at that point when he needs a water break mid session. The latest one I'm working on is stalking, its pretty fun to work on stuff like that and see him starting to figure it out.

But yeah, sometimes he makes me seriously question my 'dog skills' Need help with Nanook 1625187496 
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 am

GeorginaMay wrote:
Oh wow, I'm sorry but this cracked me up!!

I too have a brat on my hands and yes he adores socks! Luckily I work for a sock manufacturer though so replacements are easy to come by Razz 

I'm with Jeff on this one, consistency is absolutely key in this stage although the little brats definitely don't make it easy! Orion has moments where he is incredibly sweet then the next instance he is following me room from room right on my heels wooing at me for not apparent reason Need help with Nanook 1625187496 

Hang in there and if you ever need a giggle to get you through Nanooks antics I'm sure every one of us on here could share some horrendous stories to share!
Lol, this made me think of one of Dizzy's latest wooing episodes. We were at the dog park and there was this tiny chihuahua mix just laying down and chillin. Dizzy went up to him and was actually being polite for once and the dog went ape shit and chased him off. Dizzy ran about 5' away and I was right there watching him and he turned and looked me right in the eyes and started wooing. I, and several people around me just cracked up laughing. Even though he's driving me crazy right now, I love that his personality is coming out. He is just a WEE bit of a goofball.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 9:33 am

Haha everyone has hit the nail on the head. It's very very normal. My Aussie is in this age bracket right now and while not nearly as bad as my tennage Huskies have been- it makes those memories quite clear Smile

Stay consistent. Ignore, ignore, ignore. It's what they hate more than anything. Don't always be pissed though- over the dogs I've raised through this age I find it much easier to deal with when you find humor in them. Because let's be honest- some of the shit they pull is pretty clever lol!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 9:38 am

arooroomom wrote:
Haha everyone has hit the nail on the head. It's very very normal. My Aussie is in this age bracket right now and while not nearly as bad as my tennage Huskies have been- it makes those memories quite clear Smile

Stay consistent. Ignore, ignore, ignore. It's what they hate more than anything. Don't always be pissed though- over the dogs I've raised through this age I find it much easier to deal with when you find humor in them. Because let's be honest- some of the shit they pull is pretty clever lol!
You are totally right about that. Honestly, sometimes I'm laughing my butt off when I'm putting him in timeout. His antics crack me up on a daily basis.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:31 am

You guys are right, his personality has me cracking up more lately. I think that god gave them this personality spike at this time to keep them alive ..LOL
This morning it was really cute, I walked into my sons room and as soon as I opened the door I saw 3 shocks on the floor, Nanook was standing at the door next to me (because ..yep he is glued to my hip)he saw me see them and I saw him see them and he saw me see him. I could actually see him thinking ....can I beat her, can I beat her. I pointed at him and said firmly NO and man did I get an ear full from him...he is not a talker but that NO set him off, but he listened and didn't enter the room. I wish I had a camera.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 11:45 am

Need help with Nanook Image12

This is Dizzy's new bathroom hangout. My bathroom isn't that dirty, but my iphone camera is cracked so my pix all look awful.
Back to top Go down
Trailtoad1
Teenager
Teenager
Trailtoad1

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:00 pm

OMG....boy that is right there with you isn't it ..LOL
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah, I think he finally figured out that I pee there, and now he's trying to figure out where the heck it ends up...
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 2:47 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
Yeah, I think he finally figured out that I pee there, and now he's trying to figure out where the heck it ends up...
that is hilarious.

Right on cue this morning, out and about with Link and he throws a loud, wooing fit outside of a cafe and goes crazy. I come out and grab his stick and sit down, he politely shuts up and curls up on my rain boots and chews his stick.

Then, some random guy comes up to me while I'm reading and says, "hey buddy, can I give you some advice?"

"No, thanks though."

"You gotta train him, use food."

Need help with Nanook 1625187496 
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 3:27 pm

OTL! Some people.

Jen, that is so hilarious. He really does squeeze through there! Mishka always comes in the bathroom with me and sticks his head by the toilet tank and just stares at it. It cracks me up but sometimes I kick his butt out because all I want to do is pee in peace!

TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Teenage husky here too!! Gus is almost 9mths now! We went through 3 weeks of 3am whinings in his crate at night! And stopping whenever he pulled on his leash... You'd think he was being tortured by the sound of his screaming and whining. We live in the city so there's always an abundance of stares and omg-what-is-she-doing-to-that-poor-dog looks. I also had someone come up to me and offer advice that his collar was too tight and was strangling him! I showed him that I could put my entire hand all the way to my wrist through his collar! I just had a brat who didn't want to behave!

I tried to leave him outside once to go in and grab a coffee.... Nope! Gus wouldn't have it. His screaming fit and jumping sounded like he was in distress!!! And a small crowd of people was starting to form to see what all the commotion was about. Needless to say, I did not get my coffee, and we went straight home!

But as Jeff also mentioned, we are also noticing a more affectionate and playful Gus. He likes to bury his head into your lap and roll over for belly rubs. Despite his gluey-ness to us, his separation anxiety is getting better too! Guess he is growing up Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyThu Oct 03, 2013 4:13 pm

TheBadGuppy wrote:
 He likes to bury his head into your lap and roll over for belly rubs.  Despite his gluey-ness to us, his separation anxiety is getting better too! Guess he is growing up Smile
Ha, Link too! We call them tumbleflips bounce 

When we get home and let him out of his crate we get down on the floor and he dives head first between our legs, and throws his butt up and over and then makes wookie noises while we rub his belly and chest.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 12:01 pm

haha tumbleflip. Another word to add to my husky dictionary Razz
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Mishka's new favorite thing is to bark and grumble and be a nut ball when I let him out of his crate in the morning. He also started jumping on the couch, hiding his head under the pillows, and then rolling around on his back while making a racket with crazy dog face. It cracks me up so much. I'm going to try to get a video of it one day.

wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 2:48 pm

That's hysterical! You have to post the video if you get it! So, last night I gave Diz a raw pork spare rib, hoping to keep him busy for a while so I could get the dishes done, and he swallowed it whole! I gave it to him and walked away, then looked back at him to see if he was enjoying it and he was licking the floor and it was gone, 3 seconds max. Shocked 
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook EmptyFri Oct 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Gus does that too!!! he likes to toss his ball on the couch, and then do an all-4-paws POUNCE onto the couch, and then proceed to punch it into the couch cushions. And of course, THEN dig his face into the cushion to retrieve his ball... and repeat.

Jen, EEK! i hope it was a small rib!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help with Nanook   Need help with Nanook Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help with Nanook

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next