It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

New husky owner and have questions!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
justykole430
Newborn
Newborn

New husky owner and have questions!! Empty
PostSubject: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Me and my boyfriend, and his mom and her fiancé just adopted a husky from our local shelter and I don't know much about them but I've always loved them and have wanted one. Well he was on the run but they don't know how long. we've had him for almost a week and he is constantly whining but we don't know why....could someone help me understand why? another thing, do huskies have to have thick collars? or harnesses? etc? he's very friendly with people and my black lab/boxer mix. he's pretty well house trained but he has um I guess you could say 'marked his territory' but I think I've got him done with that. him and my other dog also when they play they go after each others necks is that normal?? I've learned a lot from just reading this forum. thank you guys so much! Smile 
Back to top Go down
li_izumi
Puppy
Puppy
li_izumi

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 am

Well, it's only been a week. It's going to take a little time for him to get settled in the new home with new people. Lots of exercise should also help.
Back to top Go down
justykole430
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:40 am

do they have to have the thick collars and so on? I've been told they pace a lot to does anyone know why?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:52 am

The pacing will stop when he gets use to his new surroundings. One of mine does that at every place that isn't home because he just isn't comfortable in that environment. Exercise will help the pacing, because he will be tired and it will go away in time. Be very patient with him, because you are all new to him. Everyone who will be involved in his life needs to take part in the training, walking and feeding so he doesn't just bond to one person.

About the thick collars, you need to think sturdy equipment. Huskies are very smart, and very strong so you don't want anything that can break because once he gets away, he will keep running and ignore you completely.
Back to top Go down
justykole430
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 4:52 pm

ok thank you!! and I've also heard to have harnesses for them because they are so strong? what is your opinion? and I would like to replace the collar he has on from the shelter, that's why I asked. Now he does need another bath because he still stinks any ideas on that? I was told that we could use dawn dish soap?? will that help the smell and to get the dirt off of him, make his coat whiter (the spots that are white)? and how can we know for sure that when we give him a bath that it will go down to his skin? through his thick fur?
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 5:41 pm

I have harnesses for my two. What I wish I had done, was teach them lose leash walking with their collars and use their harnesses strictly for pulling, but I didn't. They walk pretty well with their harnesses on anyway, but if yours is a strong puller, I would suggest that.

As far as the dawn dish soap, I've heard good and bad things on that. I've heard some people have very good luck with it, but others have dried out their skin, so I think its up to you if you want to do that or not. If I were you, I would go to your nearest pet store and get some natural shampoo and wash him with that. Once the dog gets wet, trust me they look very weird and you can get to their skin pretty easy.
Back to top Go down
justykole430
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 6:28 pm

ok thank you so much!! well when I took him today he didn't pull and its like whne he did he stopped
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New husky owner and have questions!!   New husky owner and have questions!! Empty

Back to top Go down

New husky owner and have questions!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1