It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Worried about new pup

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

Worried about new pup Empty
PostSubject: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 9:53 am

Hello. Been a while since I visited the site! Mishka is one year old next week. I will have to post her birthday pictures! In the meantime, I am needing advice and am worried about something. My husband just put down a deposit on a GSD pup. She will be coming home just before Christmas. I am worried as to how Mish will react and do with her. I recently had golden retriever pups (I bred, and do so ethically, so please do not even start a conversation about that. yes, my dogs are health tested by the OFA, etc, etc,...) and on a lead, I did allow Mish to peek in on the pups when they were about 5 weeks old. Even though I had her very much restrained and behind their gate, she managed to bite one. Scared me and the pup, but she was fine.
She has been very jealous while the pups were here and acting out (peeing everywhere, etc)
How do I handle this new pup and the husky? The goldens will accept her, I am sure so that is not a problem....Any advice?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 10:42 am

I assume the pups were in your house or on your property? I would probably opt moreso to introduce them on neutral territory and take them for a walk together first. I know this is how I introduced Loki to my dogs and it was fine. In the past, Lexi was off put at times by other dogs, so I was pretty surprised how easy it was for them. I think in our case it also helped that Loki was very submissive when he met my dogs, eagerly licking their noses and even laying down in submissive position.

I know when I tried initially introducing Loki to my friends intact american bulldog with little dog socialization, the bulldog starting growling and lunging when the met face to face. This made Loki growl and then wimper. After we took them for a long walk together, once we reintroduced them everything was fine and now they play together.

So my advice is possibly discuss with the breeder that you want one of the pups that is slightly more submissive if possible and introduce on neutral territory. It makes it a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 3:36 pm

That's not a bad idea. yes, the pups were in the house. So, when she came back from her road trip with her handler, life as just different for her, and that's part of it, too.

Thanks for the reply!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Is Mishka spayed?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyThu Nov 21, 2013 6:18 pm

No. She is a show bitch.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:01 pm

I just went through this with Cato!! Do you have X-Pens? When we brought Teddy in, we put him in the X-Pen with my husband and let Cato sniff around (he ended up attempting to pee on him) and then we let Teddy out after Cato calmed down. The first night was interesting because Cato was very jealous - just keep giving her love and crate the pup so you can lay with her alone from time to time. Give her EXTRA love because she will feel very betrayed.

After a few days, my two were playing and now they are best of friends.

Also, try to pick the puppy up at 10 weeks. A 10 week GSD is pretty big - not like a 5 week old Golden.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm

That is a good idea. I can see Mish jumping into the expen. Wink
I think the breeder would like us to get her at 8 weeks. She will be pretty large. These are
working shepherds, so bred a little larger.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 3:07 pm

Which kennel are you purchasing from?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mishka'sMom
Teenager
Teenager
Mishka'sMom

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Beaver Creek in Indiana. My hubby's business partner's in-laws
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worried about new pup   Worried about new pup Empty

Back to top Go down

Worried about new pup

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1