It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Vacations are bitter sweet!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

Vacations are bitter sweet! Empty
PostSubject: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:16 am

So we're going away for 3 days this weekend and I'm very excited, but sad at the same time. I hate leaving Mya behind =( She stays at home and my mom and mother in law take turns coming to see her through out the day, but i still worry about her and miss her so much. They say that she goes to the door to look for us. My poor baby =(

Am I the only one that goes through this?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:21 am

Nope... ours do the same thing. John's cousin comes to let them out and spend some time with them/feed them and I know they wait for us at the door. At least they are in their own home though and not in a strange place. Sometimes that's necessary, but being home is definitely less stressful for them Smile

Vacations are bitter sweet! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 11:29 am

Totally less stressful then putting them in boarding. I've had to do it once or twice when Mya was younger, but not recently. We tell her that we're going "bye-bye" and she lays down all depressed looking at the door =(

Yours have each other so I'm sure that they entertain themselves!

Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 12:59 pm

its super hard for us to leave them when we go for vacation, and the fact that something has always happened when we are gone it really works on my nerves. nothing beats the kisses when we get home though!

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:14 pm

Oh no, what has happened while you've been gone?

yes, those kisses are the best!!!!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 1:17 pm

lets see, they have gotten lose on 2 separate vacations with our sitter, and have killed a squirrel and a bird. and on the last one Jacks pad got messed up with a huge blister somehow! something has always happened, at this point im leaving them with Eddy next time Wink

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:38 pm

WOW!!! Poor Jack =( and the squirrel and the bird..lol. They're such hunters! Mya caught a pigeon, but didn't kill it. I caught her in the act!

The worst that has happened to us was that my mom was walking Mya and she saw a cat and almost got loose trying to catch it. No more walks with anybody except us LOL!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:50 pm

aw Sad i haven't had to leave Embry yet
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 2:52 pm

I literally cried the 1st time i left her
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 6:49 pm

I have always left Icon with the lady we have gone to for classes since he was a baby. He absolutely adores her and she has a ton of dogs that he gets along with great and I trust her as much as I could possibly trust anyone with him... It's nice bc I don't have to worry bc it's like a little vacation for him too:) I guess I'm just lucky;)
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

Male Join date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyThu Oct 21, 2010 8:33 pm

Funnily enough i was going to make a similar thread today!

Some of you might remember I had plans on returning to England from Australia in Nov. Well I'm going back but not permanently. I'm gonna be away for just under 2 months Sad

I'm leaving Nero at home (my home) with a friend, (who has owned dogs but doesnt like Nero because Nero doesn't listen to him) and have a dog sitter coming once a week to walk him. I've slowly been leaving him for longer periods over the last couple of weeks.

It's going to be excruciating for both of us. What, if anything, can I do to reduce his stress?
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:04 am

Make sure you leave some blankets and clothes that smell like you-- maybe leave a little bottle of cologne or something that your friend can spray on a blanket once a week or every two weeks.

Your friend should start practicing NILIF just like you have if he hasn't already. He's going to have one hell of a time if Nero doesn't respect him.

Sorry you have to leave him Sad

Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 2:26 am

He's not going to be around that often, just morning and evening. Meals etc but that's about it. I've found a father daughter duo that does pet sitting @ only $20 a day! I'm gonna get them to come round once or twice a week to give Nero some much needed loving and playtime Smile

Introductions are tmrw so will keep everyone informed!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 4:14 am

maybe it's just me but, only having someone coming twice a day, and one walk a week for 2 months doesn't seem like enough, especially since he's so young Shocked
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 6:51 am

Last edited by Here4thePics on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:21 pm

Jennet&Embry wrote:
maybe it's just me but, only having someone coming twice a day, and one walk a week for 2 months doesn't seem like enough, especially since he's so young Shocked

If that is correct then I agree, that is not enough interaction and you're very likely to end up with a lost husky since they are easily bored and masters at escape. I hope that the info was incorrect.

My vacations are never bittersweet because I always take my pets with me. When we plan our vacations we always make whatever accommodations that are necessary to bring the pets with us. Even if our trip involves air travel the dogs fly with us then too. I can't take a vacation without my dogs, they wouldn't be happy and neither would I so they come with us, always.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 12:36 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Jennet&Embry wrote:

If that is correct then I agree, that is not enough interaction and you're very likely to end up with a lost husky since they are easily bored and masters at escape. I hope that the info was incorrect.
Yup. I'm confused now too... scratch

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Wow, yeah 2 months is definitely a long time and to only be walked once a week isn't enough. Mya would be extremely depressed without us and only one walk. She takes her walks very personal...lol. The longest I've left her is 4 days and she got visited 3 times a day and walked once. I'm lucky that my mom, dad, and mother in law all love her very much!

We're going to Orlando to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights and that's a about a 4 hour drive. Too long with hyper husky in the car..lol. If she would relax in the car then she would definitely be coming with us! There are many pet friendly hotels.
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 7:46 pm

Once or twice a week thing just a figure of speech.

Nero will be getting 2x2 hour walks separate to 2 full day play dates per week. Which is about the same amount of full time I spend with him anyway. Plus the interaction he'l get at home from my friend. Granted he might not like Nero much but he still plays with him.

It might not sound like much but that's as much as is possible I'm afraid just his walks are gonna be $200 per week. Unforseen circumstances have lengthened my time away otherwise I would only be gone for 2 weeks.

Nero looooves the car! He would rather be there than anywhere else! He snuggled up in the footwell with the ac on and sleeps until we get to wherever we are going. Otherwise he's just now big enough to sit up and look out at the world Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 8:26 pm

MelissaI wrote:
We're going to Orlando to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights and that's a about a 4 hour drive. Too long with hyper husky in the car..lol. If she would relax in the car then she would definitely be coming with us! There are many pet friendly hotels.

I always exercise my sibe before going on a long car trip. Has she ever been on a "long" car trip before? If they always go for short trips they tend to get really excited and never really settle down since it's all they're familiar with but usually if you exercise them before you leave and she gets used to longer amounts of time in the car they get used to it. Our boy never knows whether we're driving to the dog park 10 minutes away or if we're heading for a vacation spot 10 hours away. He's gotten used to long trips and usually settles down and goes to sleep after about 5 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptyFri Oct 22, 2010 10:10 pm

Just had the duo round. Such a nice pair. The daughter is only 8 and its her business lol. They are gonna come 3 times a week pick up Nero in the morning and take him to their house to play with their dog for the day. They live 25 mins walk so they'll be walking Nero there and back which is great. Very happy Smile
Back to top Go down
myhusky
Newborn
Newborn
myhusky

Male Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 4:38 am

We put Logan into a kennel for the first time when we went away last week. People told us to just leave him about the back, said they would come around and feed him, but I didn't think that was enough for him. He usually goes on two walks a day, on top of playing with us when we get home. He would have been so extremely bored that we would not have had a backyard when we got back.

We took him to an RSPCA kennel. We made up food for him, sent some toys and his bed so that he wouldn't be in completely new surroundings. We called while we were away and they said he was doing ok. We picked him up this morning and he's been falling asleep all day. So I think he had fun with the other dogs, but probably didn't sleep very much at night.
Back to top Go down
http://myhusky.com.au
Nero
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 8:18 am

How long were you away for?
Back to top Go down
myhusky
Newborn
Newborn
myhusky

Male Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! EmptySun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 pm

We were away for 7 days. We had a friend that offered to keep him for a week, but seeing as it was the first time he'd stayed away from home I knew he wouldn't be settling in for quiet nights. Now that he's a little more use to it, next time Logan can stay with him.
Back to top Go down
http://myhusky.com.au
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vacations are bitter sweet!   Vacations are bitter sweet! Empty

Back to top Go down

Vacations are bitter sweet!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1