It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy Empty
PostSubject: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:44 am

I am getting my new puppy next month. I am trying to decide if a harness or collar would be better to get for a young puppy. Or both. It has been a long time scene I had a young puppy. Any suggestions would be great!

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 9:19 am

For sure a collar where you can keep it on all the time with its tags and stuff. Then the harness is up 2 u. I eventually got a easy walk harness to help with his pulling. He wasnt terrible but i figured its something he can get a little work on. I also recently just got a harness for him to pull in but you wont need to worry about that for a while.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 pm

For around the house, they're both fine, but your puppy might manage to chew off a harness a lot more often than a collar.

It also depends on what you want to do. If you want to train him/her to not pull you on walks, then I would use a collar or a walk your dog with love harness. I could easily walk my husky in a regular harness until she was about 5 1/2 months, then she could really pull me around. My hands were literally beet red when I was done with a walk. It was bad. I switched to a prong collar because I knew I wanted to train her to pull me with a harness later in life. That way your husky doesn't get confused about when he should pull or not while wearing a harness. We now exercise by bikejoring with an x-back harness.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 2:24 pm

I would probably just stick with a collar, especially if you're going to leave it on them. Like Jackie said, they can chew a harness off pretty easily (although Pippa's mastered chewing off her collar too).

Harness would be good for walks though, especially if the puppy pulls a lot while you're working on leash training. All of that pulling on their neck can really do damage to their trachea.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 5:11 pm

Good advice here. I usually use a collar for everyday things like around the house, going outside to potty, etc., and a harness for walks or hikes. We have a step-in harness that Layla has become afraid of for some reason (hates the way it feels, maybe? We have only associated it with positive things so she has no reason to be afraid of it ...) and has almost chewed off the center piece completely, so we bought her a Walk Your Dog with Love harness that is AWESOME. I just tried it for the first time today on a walk around in the park and Layla did great on it -- HUGE difference between the WYDWL and the pulling she did on the step-in harness and with her regular collar! Harnesses for puppies, as Katie mentioned, are also easier on their necks and give you more control. I highly recommend a Walk Your Dog with Love harness for walking. They will be able to tell the difference between that and a harness for pulling (like an X-back) later on.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 2:20 am

Thank you for all your advice. I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 2:40 am

I use both depending on what I want them to do. Dogs are not dump, they are great at differentiating between what they wear and what is expected of them. During all initial walks and still new to obedience training, all walks for my pups are in harness and they can pull to their hearts content. In between walks, I'll practice obedience and loose leash walking while the leash is hooked to the collar. They quickly learn that harness = pull while collar = no pull. With my older dogs, I can walk them either way without issue, though I have a lot more fun with them pulling in harness.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy   collar - Collar Vs. Harneness  for a puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Collar Vs. Harneness for a puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1