|Husky of the Month|
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Thanks to all for this month's entries!
|1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.|
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Our current rescue spotlight is:|
Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!
Join date : 2013-01-24
Location : Middleburg Heights Ohio
|Subject: Nanook is sick... still Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:16 pm|| |
Ok so about 3 weeks ago Nanook had diarrhea and vomiting. Took him to the vet and they gave us some meds and did a fecal test. He was positive for 2 different types of bacteria. They gave us meds for those. We just took another sample to them and now he has a different bacteria and roundworm. *sigh*
We have him on his heartguard and we also have him on the Prey Model (Raw feeding).
Now for my questions:
1) We got our heartguard from 1800 pet meds. The Vet told us that they can't guarantee that they are correct as they've seen fraudulent meds from their suppliers and they recommend we get his heartguard from them or their online pharmacy (of course). Has anyone else bought from 1800 pet meds before?
2) He's been on his raw diet since we got him, and I continue to get badgered by the vet about not feeding him a raw diet. They say that if I absolutely must that I should cook it and then give him vitamins and fruits/veggies.
I'm a little upset that he's still sick and I want him to be better. I've done a lot of research already on the raw diet (did before we even put him on it) and I know the benefits, but I'm almost to the point of putting him on kibble just for the peace of mind that it's not his food. On the other hand I don't really want to lose the benefits of having him on the raw diet. The other thing is we just bought the full year of his heartguard and has been on it for only 3 months (before we were getting it from the vet). I've also thought about getting a new supply from the vet, but don't really want to waste the money that we spent on the supply we have now. I just don't really know what to do atm and thought I'd reach out for some ideas/support/etc...
Join date : 2009-05-29
Location : Denver, CO
|Subject: Re: Nanook is sick... still Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:32 pm|| |
i get the same story from the vet on the HG from 1800 but i do buy it from the vets online pharmacy as it is a bit cheaper. i would see if 1800 will take the meds back. are you doing just HG or HR plus? we do the plus as it covers more things. but sierra still picks up bacterias from drinking water on our hikes, or eating things like poop. i have started giving them both Greek yogurt to help their tummys and so far so good.
Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan
|Subject: Re: Nanook is sick... still Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:46 am|| |
I use ivermectin and inject it into a treat and then feed it. It works very well.
Can you give me a run down of what you feed?
Puppies are VERY sensitive and you may need to switch back to just one protein, probably chicken, for a month or so. Teddy can't handle all the variety like my adults can. If I give him something too rich he gets cannon butt.
Don't be afraid to feed raw. You are making the decision you find best for your animal. Many veterinarians simply lack the knowledge about raw to actually form an unbiased opinion.
Join date : 2013-01-24
Location : Middleburg Heights Ohio
|Subject: Re: Nanook is sick... still Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:41 am|| |
Sorry for the delay in replying... been a busy weekend. We use HG+. We've also gone ahead and bought new HG from the vet (better safe than sorry). After talking with Amy I think we may know where he picked it up. A few weeks ago he saw another dog eating dirt at the dog park and since then we've been trying to break this habit he's picked up of occasionally eating the dirt at the dog park. I think this is where he may have picked them up, but again you never know. Megan, we feed a variety of things, but lately we have in our freezer the following: Beef heart, chicken quarters, turkey wings, pork shoulder/butt, Pork kidney, pork (or beef can't remember) liver, salmon, white bass and we just ran out of some other fish that I can't remember atm. We will also give him some marrow bones occasionally as a treat as well as some peanut butter. Along with this we try to give him some coconut oil every once in a while as well as some pumpkin puree (this is usually in the form a a frozen treat with some plain yogurt that my wife makes for him during the summer). I've reaffirmed my dedication to raw now that I think I have a better idea where he might have picked up the parasite was just tired of being lectured every time I went to the vet, but guess that's just what I have to deal with. We've looked into a holistic vet, but they're on the East side so I'm not sure if Amy wants to drive all the way over there, but we'll see. Jennifer and Megan thank you both for replying.
Join date : 2013-04-17
Location : South East Wisconsin!
|Subject: Re: Nanook is sick... still Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:58 am|| |
A note: You mentioned eating dirt, on the farm most of the animals will eat dirt if they are short on minerals in there diet. I do not know if this is true with dogs, never really noticed one eating dirt. However it might be something to look into and I think could be managed holistically, not something I know about but others on the forum do.
|Subject: Re: Nanook is sick... still || |
|» Nanook...my best friend.|
by Ant&Lisa Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:11 pm
» A new fluffy pup .
by Ant&Lisa Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:06 pm
» Dry Eye in Huskies
by jbealer Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:51 pm
» What is the best kibble for my new puppy?
by TwisterII Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:53 pm
» any thoughts?
by TwisterII Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:45 pm
» Recall Information
by aljones Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:29 pm
» Resource guarding and aggression in 5 month old husky puppy
by Tika Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:31 am
» My red husky just arrived to its new home
by aljones Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:29 pm
» Blazze Becomes Z'ev: Follow His Journey from Death Row to Member of the Family
by TwisterII Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:54 am
» Mini Huskies and Pompskies
by Lostmaniac Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:41 pm
» Essence dog food
by Idun Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:04 pm
» Is my sweet girl unusual???
by Lostmaniac Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:27 am
» Hello and Welcome to It's A Husky Thing
by aljones Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:32 pm
» The Desert Pack
by aljones Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:38 pm
» new member
by amymeme Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:30 am
» The Husky Bunch - A Video Diary
by martin Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:47 am
» Ingredient Splitting
by TwisterII Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:19 am
» Husky ears
by jalepeno Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:55 pm
» Sarloos wolf phantom pregnancy?
by TwisterII Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:37 pm
» Fur loss... and it's not only seasonal
by filippos Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:26 am