It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Skijoring help? How to?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

Skijoring help? How to? Empty
PostSubject: Skijoring help? How to?   Skijoring help? How to? EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 5:28 pm

I love dog sledding the energy and the bond that mushers have with there dogs is great.

I have wanted to get into it but I only have one dog (soon to be two) so I have helped handle with a sled team and go to our local races. And it rocks.

I decided that skijoring would be a way I could start getting into sledding and not spend a ton of money and be fine with only having a few dogs.

I have read "Skijor With Your Dog" a few times but I was wondering if any one would have any suggestions for someone just starting out. My goal is to have Sadie and me up and running this winter or at least starting so when the puppy is grown up and over a year next winter we will be ready for him.

Questions I have.
-Where do you buy your equipment?
-Would it be okay to use an H back harness or would a X be better?
-How did you teach your dogs Haw and Gee?
-Any suggestions you have for someone just starting out?

What we have done so far is I am working on my skiing skills and we are positively conditioning Sadie to like skis and not be scared of them.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring help? How to?   Skijoring help? How to? EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 5:59 pm

My answer is much to long to post from my phone, I will get back to you mon unless someone else jumps in here. It is fun!

Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring help? How to?   Skijoring help? How to? EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Well Elise lets see if I can get you started. Out of order first lets start with harness. Any harness that does not pull against the dogs neck can be used, with the exception of weight pulling harness, the difference in height could make for a weird draft and it has unneeded spreaders and junk . I like x-back, others prefer H-back, or a skijoring harness, (Skijor now sells this type of harness) it is mostly a personal preference. Now for the where. You can search local and then there are tons on the internet; Alpine outfitters, adanac, Black ice dog sled equipment, Nordkyn outfitters, and Windigo outfitters, just to name a few. Nordkyn has been used by many people on the forum, my next harness may come from them also. All of these places sell harness, skijor belts, tug lines, and booties. a package deal may also be available (skijor Now sells a starter package as does ruff wear and ultra paws). There are many belts, get decent padding and make sure it will stay low on your back without riding up. This usually means leg straps to hold it in place. This too is all a matter of preference, what feels right to you will work the best.

Teaching gee and haw, repetition. When you go for a walk every turn you make tell her "Sadie gee, Sadie haw", and then go in that direction. I walk with a leash but I also like to walk with harness, tug and belt so we can practice commands at a slower pace with the dog out front. Much easier than at ski speed! When you start to work Sadie try and find really obvious trails to follow, it just makes things easier, even if it's just sidewalk it's an obvious trail.
The rest you've read in Skijor with your dog, so stay off the big hills get started and have fun.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring help? How to?   Skijoring help? How to? EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 2:51 am

Thank you! Nordkyn outfitters looks great and I have a harness from Alpine outfitters that I use when we bike with the springer. Do you know what shipping time is normally like for Nordkyn outfitters? I know Alpine is a pretty long wait but great stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring help? How to?   Skijoring help? How to? EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 3:37 am

My experience with Nordkyn is that they are super fast with their delivery times.

The good news for you too is that they are based in the Seattle-Tacoma area, so they are very close to Idaho. I bet that if you didn't buy a custom piece you'd have your order in 3 or 4 days tops.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring help? How to?   Skijoring help? How to? EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Heartily recommend Nordkyn.
And you don't need an X-back to skijor.
A recreational harness is fine.

I would say start in someplace flat, a wide trail with no trees.
Don't use metal edged skis.
They can cut the dig's tendons.
Old, slow XC skis are best at the start.

The first half mile is the worst.
Just hang on for your life.
Then the dog will settle down.

You have to monitor your dog's condition.
He or she will go and go and go, well beyond tiredness, especially at first.
Deep, untracked snow will tire him or her fast.
I like to ski midweek at places snowmobiles have flattened out on the weekend.
Just as long as snowmobiles are gone.
Bodhi is scared of them!
Snowmobiles make the surface good for gliding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skijoring help? How to?   Skijoring help? How to? Empty

Back to top Go down

Skijoring help? How to?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1