It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Acana vs TOTW?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Javier77
Newborn
Newborn
Javier77

Male Join date : 2013-11-02

Acana vs TOTW? Empty
PostSubject: Acana vs TOTW?   Acana vs TOTW? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 11:50 am

Hi. I have been feeding my puppy Picart Professional, which I don't think you know since it is made in Spain. It was the one he had with the breeder but I don't really like it (It has corn and wheat, which is not very good, right?), and since it is time to buy new food I was wondering which of these two foods is better (These and Orijen are the only advised foods I have been able to find here. And I have checked dozens of stores  Mad ) For what I have read in different topics they are pretty similar, but if anyone has any reason to choose one or another it would help me decide.
Thanks a lot!
(I realise there is a very similar thread posted yesterday but I thought I would post a new one since I am comparing two specific brands)
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Acana vs TOTW? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acana vs TOTW?   Acana vs TOTW? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 12:41 pm

You're right, corn and wheat are typically not recommended in kibble (most dogs can't tolerate it and it's better to act on the safe side). It's just a filler.

Have you heard of www.dogfoodadvisor.com ? It compares any brand of kibble you can think of.

Acana and TOTW. They're both grain free, but they're made from two different countries. Canada (Champion Foods) produces Acana and the US (Diamond) produces TOTW. Two different regulations qualify for each. If this matters to you, TOTW has had quite a few recalls in the past. I don't think they've had any recalls in the last year or so, but that website can tell you if they did.

I'm comparing Acana Pacifica with TOTW Pacific Stream (they're both fish based kibble).

Acana has a higher protein content, which is essential for our breed. Some huskies can't handle the richness of the food though, so you might have to cut back on the serving size if it doesn't agree with your husky. People can mistake intolerance/allergies with the food when they're simply feeding too much.

Acana also has fewer ingredients. Less ingredients = less filler + more of the good stuff. The kibble comes in a vacuum sealed bag, so it smells really fresh when you open it!

TOTW is a really good quality food as well. If you feed the Pacific Stream formula, it will give your husky a softer coat due to the fish oils (same with Acana). The Pacific Stream formula has a pretty high protein content also. A lot of members also rotate between flavors of TOTW (this can also create a picky dog, just beware lol). I was actually feeding TOTW before I switched to Acana. I switched because Juneau's stools weren't firm enough to help her naturally express her anal glands. Juneau is 52 lbs and moderately active. I was feeding 2 1/2 cups per day with TOTW and am now feeding anywhere between 2 cups to 2 1/2 cups with Acana.

Also keep in mind, when you feed a higher quality food, you don't have to feed as much compared to the lesser quality.

Hope I helped a little bit. A lot of our members here feed TOTW and it agrees with a lot of our sibes. I actually wish I was still feeding it because it doesn't hurt the pocket book as much. Oh well. They're both great foods and you can't go wrong with either of them.
Back to top Go down
Javier77
Newborn
Newborn
Javier77

Acana vs TOTW? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acana vs TOTW?   Acana vs TOTW? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 1:22 pm

Thank you so much, this was really helpful! Believe it or not the only 5 star foods from that web I found here are Orijen and Acana  Rolling Eyes 
Anyway, I am going to try Acana then. Just one more question: Should I get Puppy Junior http://www.acana.com/products/classics/puppy-junior/ or  Puppy Large Breed http://www.acana.com/products/classics/puppy-large-breed/? I know huskies are not considered large size but since they have put the limit at 25kg between those two I am a little confused.

Last edited by Javier77 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Acana vs TOTW? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acana vs TOTW?   Acana vs TOTW? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 1:32 pm

Javier77 wrote:
Thank you so much, this was really helpful! Believe it or not the only 5 star foods from that web I found here are Orijen and Acana  Rolling Eyes 
Anyway, I am going to try Acana then. Just one more question: Should I get Puppy Junior http://www.acana.com/products/classics/puppy-junior/ or  Puppy Large Breed? I know huskies are not considered large size but since they have put the limit at 25kg between those two I am a little confused.

The only difference I see between the two is the protein and veggie content.  For the large breed, they have 55% chicken, 25% veggie, and 20% of oats.  The puppy junior has 60% chicken, 20% veggie, and 20% oats.

If I remember correctly, your puppy is around 4 months?  How much does he weigh?  They need a lot of protein to grow.  For me personally, I would probably feed the junior one first since your puppy is still young and growing a lot.  Once you're around the 8 month mark, maybe you could switch over to the large breed (and yes, you're right - sibes are considered medium breeds).  Don't forget to gradually switch over a week or even two weeks. Then once you hit a year or so, you can feed any of the formulas they offer.

Last edited by VintageJeans on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Back to top Go down
Javier77
Newborn
Newborn
Javier77

Acana vs TOTW? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acana vs TOTW?   Acana vs TOTW? EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 1:47 pm

You are right, he is 4 months now  Very Happy . And he weighs around 14 kg (31 lbs) Ok, then I think I will go with the Junior Puppy for now. Anyway I have sent a mail to Acana asking the exact differences to know if there is anything else besides the protein content.
Tomorrow I will go get it and start mixing it in his meals. Lets see if he likes the new food  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Acana vs TOTW? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Acana vs TOTW?   Acana vs TOTW? Empty

Back to top Go down

Acana vs TOTW?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1