It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Birthday gift - Springer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

Female Join date : 2014-01-04

Birthday gift - Springer Empty
PostSubject: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 pm

So first, i wanna say hello to all the people in this fine page, where all husky lovers gather up tongue . My name is Gabija, and i live in Lithuania. For now, i wanna ask something about biking. My husky's birthday will be on May 8th, She will turn 1 year old, and i will bake her a dog cake, but about a present, i will gather up money to buy a bike springer. At first i heard about it, and later Walky dog, which sounded better than springer. But then i realized it doesn't ship to Europe, so i was sad at that moment, becouse it was stylisher, better, cheaper. Then i goen into some topics about "what is better? Walky Dog or Springer?" , and some people liked springer, and said it was very good, not to mention GoneToTheSnowDogs used it too. I came to my decision, that i will buy it, becouse i had a crazy idea to go run with my dog without a tool, only leash. Now that i will buy this tool, i will be 99% sure to don't get my head boomed, or my dog crushed :/ It's becouse my husky is very energetic, an runs in many ways. What do you think?
* Will it be a good tool for me and my dog on summer evenings?
* I think this is the same one? It's in lithuanian, i know  Very Happy 
http://www.pet24.lt/karlie/karlie-itaisas-prie-dviracio-suniui-priristi/
*What to bring when i go biking, and what tips and begginer rules there are?
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 8:47 am

Somebody out there? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 10:06 am

Yes, what I can tell from the pictures that is a Springer attachment. It's wonderful and you should love it! What gives it a little edge over a walkie dog is the spring, your dog will not be able to pull you off balance as easily as with the walkie dog. Yes it costs more, it's worth the extra cost.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 10:56 am

The Springer is awesome. I have one and prefer it over the Walky dog not just for the extra flexibility of the tool itself but also for the extra flexibility in customizing your experience by being able to interchange attachments to the Springer as you desire. As Hughie said, the Springer costs more but I agree it is worth what it costs.

I am not sure what temps your summers are for summer evening biking but I wouldn't bike with your sibe in warm temps. As a rule I will only bike with my sibe in temps below 60 degrees Fahrenheit for his sake, otherwise it's too hot and dangerous for him. That limits us to only biking in the fall, winter and spring where I live. I know some won't bike with theirs unless it's below 55 degrees Fahrenheit and even others who won't unless it's in the 40's. I will bike in the 50's but I keep it short at generally about 2 miles and even then I stop and give my boy a 5-10 minute break after a mile so he doesn't get overheated.

As for tips for starting out, take it slow and gradually condition and build up your sibe to running with the bike. I'd start out at shorter distances and build the dog up gradually. I know it's hard to limit your sibe when they love it and want to do more but it is for their own good and health.

Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 am

I also have the springer and have really enjoyed it. the one thing I found that was useful was to have a leash connected to the dog's collar to be able to guide them away from distractions and around turns. I would have never been brave enough to bike with my dog without it. My other suggestion would be to keep an eye on your dogs feet they can ware down the pads on there feet faster than they get tired. I use mushers secret to help my dog's feet.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Yeah, i know i need the cream for dog's feet, but here they don't sell Mushers secret, but we have some other ones, that costs 15$. About overheating - yeah, we count ours in Celsius, and it's not too hot in here - from 23 to 32 celsius. Looking what day it is Smile Well acording to america, our temperature and seasons are the same as in michigan. Biking - i would love that so much, i mean i know a lot of places we can go and go WITH someone Smile New bike - new springer - new summer Razz
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 pm

actually 16 celsius is 60.8F
So your summer might be too hot for her
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm still not saying it's too hot, in the mornings or evenings it can get pretty chilly, like about 20 celsius. I don't know, but i think 16 celsius is pretty cold Very Happy on that moment i couldn't get outside with a t-shirt. Because right now, on spring, it's from 6 to 20 celsius (looking what day it is). I have an idea, that changing celsius to fahrenheit (or something Very Happy) isn't really perfect. On my opinion, i think it's not that hot Smile I'm just saying, that our weather is like in michigan, and i saw loads of dogs there biking Smile And i know, i shouldn't overheat my dog, and always bring water, take breaks and potty brakes Razz Btw, i'm back on forums Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyThu Mar 27, 2014 3:40 pm

16 degrees celsius would be the absolute hottest you want to bike her IMO. My dogs are experienced at biking now and go 6-8 miles at a time, but I won't bike them if it gets over 16 degrees celsius/60 degrees fahrenheit, not even for a mile. 20 degrees celsius is way too hot for my pups, I wait until it gets below 16.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 9:53 am

Gabija:
I wonder what are the breeds of other dogs that you saw running around at that temperature?
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am

I would never be able to bike my dog if I waited until it was below 60. We don't actually go fast or far but I bike under 70 degrees in the late evenings.

Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 9:07 am

Grizzly&Charcoal wrote:
Gabija:
I wonder what are the breeds of other dogs that you saw running around at that temperature?

In lithuania there are only max 50 people that bike with their dogs, and in my town, i never saw people biking with dogs. I feel like i will have a name ''the strange one'', who is riding a bike with some kind of a machine stuck to her bike (and a dog) Very Happy
i take notes and tips from people who live in the same climate, but in america, like GTTSD - youtuber(s) , who has 3 huskies, and goes biking in summer. We have the same weather actually, and lets think it in an other way:
So if our summers are too hot, so how come you go biking in summer, yet our summers are the same? Isn't it a tricky question?  Razz when i see videos with dogs and huskies biking , i see people wearing shorts, t-shirts - that shows it can't be 15 celsius, because that would be too cold for that, even if it's 20 celsius, well maybe a t-shirt, but NOT shorts.
Here is a note i found from http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/dog-biking-tips.html :

During the summertime when temperatures spike, it is VERY important to only bike your dog during cooler parts of the day and for shorter distances.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 1:16 pm

Why would you cares how others name you? Don't bother =) People keep talking they can say what they like. It is because the sport is not popular in your area, doesn't make you are the wried one

We are in London, and often after a long winter, when the sun shine raise up and the day get little bit warmer like 16 degree, it is not hard to see some people wear short n Tee and drinking beer at pubs. However, in my option, I still find little bit cool for me. I am still wearing long sleeves.

Sharing an experience of riding at 16 degree once along river Thames where is pretty windy for 2 miles. Actually, my 4 yr boys came home with puffed out quite hard.
So, that would be the one and the only.

At the end of the day, this is your option to take your puppy out at whatever temperature =) We are here to share experience, and knowledge.

Have a lovely weekend

Last edited by Grizzly&Charcoal on Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Ragdog wrote:
i take notes and tips from people who live in the same climate, but in america, like GTTSD - youtuber(s) , who has 3 huskies, and goes biking in summer. We have the same weather actually, and lets think it in an other way:
So if our summers are too hot, so how come you go biking in summer, yet our summers are the same? Isn't it a tricky question?  Razz when i see videos with dogs and huskies biking , i see people wearing shorts, t-shirts - that shows it can't be 15 celsius, because that would be too cold for that, even if it's 20 celsius, well maybe a t-shirt, but NOT shorts.

Simple answer, I don't bike in the summer. I've been biking right now, which is early spring, and the temperatures hit 10 degree celsius max while we're biking right now. When the temperature goes up above 16 degrees celsius, we won't be biking. We will be staying indoors, doing mental games instead. Just because one person does it, doesnt mean its 'okay', and just because someone has a youtube channel doesn't make them an expert. I'm no expert either, of course, but I go with what experienced mushers have been saying, which the general consensus is to never run a dog in temperatures over 10 degrees celsius. I actually even go over that though, and don't run mine over 16 degrees celsius. And I don't know about other people, but I actually wear a t-shirt until it gets below -3 degrees celsius Razz I like the cold, and when you're working with the dog, biking and pedaling, your body heats up a lot more than you'd expect.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 3:50 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
And I don't know about other people, but I actually wear a t-shirt until it gets below -3 degrees celsius :PI like the cold, and when you're working with the dog, biking and pedaling, your body heats up a lot more than you'd expect.
Ok, i don't know what to say, but -3 is crazy cold for me O.o
And i'm not saying that that youtube channels are experts, but they all i have got to take notes from, btw they pretty look responsible to me. And people say biking is a summer thing, so you know. oh, and 1 thing, summer is when i don't need to go to school, and i have free time for my dog, and me :)but i know i wouldn't go in the middle of the day, only if it's cool outside. So i think you understand.
and other thing, in the evening me, my dog and my classmate could go swirlling around town slowly, not like a sport, more like a fast walk, so i don't think Meta will get overheated Smile
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 7:47 pm

Gabija,

Have you think why there is a summer holiday and for 2 months longs? Why not spring, fall or winter?
Schools off for holiday to kids for reasons.

If you really want to do the bikejoking in summer, the only time I would recommend is very early in the morning, when there is very little traffic around. The reason not to do in the night time, unless late night, like a mid-night, is because the heat will release off the road surface, and literally could be burning for the dog's pads.
Back to top Go down
Ragdog
Puppy
Puppy
Ragdog

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 8:49 am

I'l try on the mornings. on evenings biking is safe too, because traffic around me isn't big, and there are places with nice grassfields. But morning work too Smile . oh and we have 3 month summer holiday - WHOLE summer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birthday gift - Springer   Birthday gift - Springer Empty

Back to top Go down

Birthday gift - Springer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1