It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Concerned about my girl's weight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
skazen21
Newborn
Newborn

weight - Concerned about my girl's weight Empty
PostSubject: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi I am new to this site and I am posting about my girl Reyna. She is 19 months old and has been progressively lost her appetite. She has the same activity level as usual. I am a college student so I don't have a lot of money for high quality food. She seems skinny. I can feel her hips but can't see her ribs because she is so fluffy. I have experimented with wet food, dog syrup on her food, and even grease on her food. What could be causing this? Should I be concerned even if her energy level has not changed?
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 8:43 pm

a little more info would help, what are you feeding her now, and how much? pictures of your girl from looking down and side view. also she is at that age where huskies do tend to look starving but are not, its just a faze they go through.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 8:48 pm

I don't have any current pictures available. I will take some tonight. She is currently just eating purine dog chow. Not the best I know but I'm a college student working part time. She used to eat 3 cups divided into 2 servings at morning and night. Now she eats about half of that. She just picks at her food and makes a mess. She will pick it up in her mouth and will drop it on the and not eat what she drops.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 9:00 pm

One thing to consider is if you were to get a better quality dog food, you would not need to feed her as much as you are feeding Purina Dog Chow. So if you feed 3 cups of food now on Purina, you might feed only 2 cups on a better quality dog food. So even if a better food cost more, it would last longer because you need to feed less.

If she needs to put on weight, you might consider spending a little more money. I don't know what the price point is for Blue Buffalo, but it is a better food than Purina Dog Chow, and you wouldn't be feeding 3 cups.

Another thing you could do is add boiled eggs to her Purina and mix it in. Egg are good and relatively cheap, even if you added just one egg. That might make her eat a little more.

As Jenn said, it's hard to say if your pup is skinny or not without pictures to help.

As a guide, you should easily be able to feel their ribs, spine and hips, but you should not see them through their coat.

Send us pictures when you can, top view and side view. It'll help.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 pm

If I can make a suggestion - as a fellow college student working part time...it is worth it to spend the extra $10 on a better food. Perhaps you could try 4Health, Nature's Domain (Costco) or Taste of the Wild.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it is doable, it just means one less drink or one less meal out. I have had to do the same thing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Agree a picture will help. Any issues with gas, stool, or vomitting?
Back to top Go down
skazen21
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestions about the food. I'll crunch some numbers tomorrow and see how prices work considering the fact that I will likely feed her less. I will also post a couple pictures tomorrow. Any suggestion on better quality brands that are moderately priced?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Megan's food suggestions are good for low cost but decent food. If you're a member of Costco, the Nature's Domain can't be beat for what you get for the price.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 10:37 pm

She's not having any issues with stool. Other than she can't stay still when she poops buy she has done that since she was little and I've had x rays done of her hips to make sure there is no problems in that area. I was just worried I might be missing signs that there could be something seriously wrong. She is basically my one and only friend so I tend to get a little paranoid about her.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 2:10 pm

well speaking as an x college student i seemed to have more money as a college student then i do now as a working adult owning a home with 2 huskies! can you tell us where you live as well as that may help people give you store names to check out foods and prices.
i also agree with the nature domain from costco, its what we feed and they have 3 flavors so its good to rotate it around for them.
you can also look at the more local mom and pop pet stores or smaller chains that may offer discounts or offers on pet food. chuck and doms had a rebate program and some foods like earth born holistic i think offers a free bag after 8 bags or something like that.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t174-what-are-you-feeding-your-husky
just go to the last page and read backwards if you want the most resent food options.

again for her hips it could be the age, huskies "fill out" after 2yrs old

Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 pm

As a college student but has a full time job. I recommend taste of the wild or actaully cadidate is a a great food too!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 8:11 pm

I also agree. I only work part-time and don't make much at all between the loans I have, I feed TOTW for my pups and as Claudia said a better food will require less cups. Link was eating 6 cups of Pedigree with his old owners, he only eats 2 cups of TOTW with me.
Back to top Go down
Cyberpup
Puppy
Puppy
Cyberpup

Male Join date : 2013-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 am

You wrote "She just picks at her food and makes a mess. She will pick it up in her mouth and will drop it on the and not eat what she drops."

I think this behavior is classic in sibes. They get bored with their food. It is as if they were saying: "This is what you give me to eat? You have lavish meals in my presence while I must exist on dry cereal"? One of our girls had this down to an art, and always made sure we were looking when she spit out the food.

With our girl Myka we need to "dress up" her food (we feed her Blue) to get her to eat when she gets in one of these moods. Sometimes a splash of yogurt, or some gravy mix and water added to her food will do it. Sometimes if there are some left over table scraps that we can add to her food we will do that. Also, presentation is everything: sometimes my wife will sit down with Myka and hand feed her.

I think the bottom line however is that they will not starve themselves, and will eat what they need to stay healthy. All the tricks to make them eat eagerly make us feel better about it though.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I also agree. I only work part-time and don't make much at all between the loans I have, I feed TOTW for my pups and as Claudia said a better food will require less cups. Link was eating 6 cups of Pedigree with his old owners, he only eats 2 cups of TOTW with me.

6 cups?!  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 2:07 pm

wpskier222 wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

6 cups?!  Shocked 

Just goes to show how low-quality the food was, because he was skinny even eating 6 cups.

He was a growing boy though Razz
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 4:29 pm

I'm also a college student, but I work two jobs so I have a bit more money, but I'm sure with 2 extra Huskies it evens out lol. I spend about $45 on a 30lb bag of Taste of the Wild. With 3 dogs, they each get 2 cups a day, if they're in the mood for eating and that usually lasts me 3 weeks.

One thing to note, Huskies control their own metabolism, she'll eat if she's hungry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Concerned about my girl's weight   weight - Concerned about my girl's weight Empty

Back to top Go down

Concerned about my girl's weight

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1