It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Chasing Chickens, needs advice!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kelly_m019
Newborn
Newborn
kelly_m019

Female Join date : 2014-01-16

Chasing Chickens, needs advice! Empty
PostSubject: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi All,

My husky who is about 2 and a half has been recently chasing chickens around my parents place. He is a really great dog and has relative good recall (except - when he chases small animals). Has anyone encountered this problem and have any advice? I've been working on his recall, using treats he loves such as roll-over dog treats, cooked chicken or beef etc, however I think I need another tactic. He spooked a chicken to death but hasn't actually caught one and killed it, but I am afraid that he may and am hoping to stop his chasing before it gets to that point. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Can you put the chickens away while he is outside or anything? Huskies have a very high pray drive and I don't think you can do anything about him chasing the chickens. It is probably only a matter of time till he actually kills one. I don't think there is anything you can do accept keep them separated.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 1:54 pm

I was just going to say the same thing. You will never over come the prey drive, it's like telling a bird not to fly. To keep a bird from flying, you have to clip its wings. Like Erica said, put the chickens away, or keep your husky on a long line.
Back to top Go down
kelly_m019
Newborn
Newborn
kelly_m019

Female Join date : 2014-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:01 pm

Unfortunately, it is my neighbours chickens. There is a small wooded area and field separating their house and my parents. We've been tying him up on a lead that runs across the yard, taking him for off-leash walks in the opposite direction and always keep him inside when he is unsupervised to avoid another chicken-husky confrontation. But yes, I think you are right - the prey drive cannot be overcome but hoping to suppress it/distract him quickly enough.

Thanks for the reply!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Yeah unfortunately with them and small animals there just isn't anything that will make them over power their instincts. I would keep him on the leash for now, or buy a very long leash line (50 or 100 ft) and that should make it so you can grab him if he is running the other way when you take him on walks.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 5:36 pm

I would also keep working with him to leave the birds alone. Some success can be achieved. Work him on a lead where he can see the chickens from a distance until he pays them no attention and then move closer. It's just a desensitizing kind of exercise. Take your time and get him to understand as best as possible that chickens are not for him. My dog Maya, who has killed chickens, has gotten better at leaving them alone. In fact she will allow them to come and scratch within her chain area as long as they don't run and make noise. It's not easy and he will never be perfect but he should be better. Think of it from your dogs point of view, chickens make noise, flap wings, run around like idiots, what better toy to play with?
Back to top Go down
Wy Renegade
Puppy
Puppy
Wy Renegade

PostSubject: Re: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Indeed the key is much more in the chicken running than anything else. If you could get the chickens to not run, then the dog would most likely leave them alone. Unfortunately, once they start running you pretty much aren't going to stop the husky from chasing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chasing Chickens, needs advice!   Chasing Chickens, needs advice! Empty

Back to top Go down

Chasing Chickens, needs advice!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1