It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy is being snappy after neutering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
habsfan
Newborn
Newborn
habsfan

Female Join date : 2013-05-20

Puppy is being snappy after neutering Empty
PostSubject: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 am

Yesterday my 'little' guy, Ryder, went to get fixed. He's 9mo and has always been a lover, never snappy or growly. Everyone at the vet complimented me on how well I've trained him and said how well behaved and friendly he was particularly for a puppy and a husky puppy at that! Proud momma moment for me!! When we brought him home yesterday (he went in at 8am and we picked him up just after noon) the vet assistant told us he would probably need to pee because of the fluids they gave him. He was still pretty out of it, but we live in a raised ranch and would need to carry him up/down the stairs to go out, so we tried. He had no interest. So we brought him in and I cuddled on the couch with him for most of the afternoon. Around 5 he started trying to get up, so we figured we should take him out. Like I said, we were going to carry him down/up the stairs until he was a little better on his feet, so my BF went to pick him up and Ryder snapped at him! It wasn't vicious, there was no growling or anything, so we just took that as he was probably in pain and wanted to be left alone.

He still did no 'business' last night and made no messes during the night (we were expecting to wake up to messes since he hadn't done anything since before he went into the vet). This morning, he went down the stairs fine by himself and did his business outside. We thought it was a great sign that he still knew to hold it and waited all night instead of making a mess! Another proud momma moment! Wink Then my neighbor came out with his dog, both ours and his were leashed. Usually our dogs love each other, but apparently (I say apparently because my BF was out with him and I didn't witness it) my pup snapped at the other dog!

Is this just because he's still in pain and doesn't want people all over him? Was that just his way of telling the neighbor's dog that he didn't want to play? Or is this going to be a new habit?... He's such a sweet boy who loves everyone, people and other dogs, so I would be heartbroken if his personality changed...
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:29 pm

I would keep him away from other dogs, even your own. My vet told me to keep Diz separated from other animals for 48 hours (diz was neutered yesterday too). The snapping could be pain or an effect of coming off the anesthesia, pain meds, or being in pain. Is he on a sedative also?
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm sure he's just uncomfortable right now.  If he's still a little woozy, then he's probably a little grumpy and tired.

With mine, I did notice that he seemed a little insecure after his neuter with this young male golden retriever (around the same age at 9mths) who was not fixed yet.  This was a couple days after his neuter. They usually played nicely, but that time, Gus didn't want to play (not like I was going to allow him anyways since he was still healing!), and he kept kicking his hind legs out, which I read is a sign of dominance.  Couple weeks later though, he was fine again and they were back to being friends! Just give him time, he's just adjusting Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:07 pm

Oh yeah! One other question, did you ask your vet about the snapping? Smile it might be a normal thing, I've heard different dogs react differently to anesthesia.
Back to top Go down
habsfan
Newborn
Newborn
habsfan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 2:27 pm

He is on pain meds, one pill total per day (she said to break a pill in half and give him half twice a day).

He's definitely perked up. I went out for a bit to run errands earlier (my BF stayed home with him) and when I got back he was acting like normal, super excited to see me. We haven't had a reason to pick him up today, so he hasn't had a reason/chance to be snappy. Which he wasn't snappy at me, just my BF. Which I thought was ironic since all the employees at my vet, including the vet, are female! However, he is definitely MY dog, our other dog definitely my BF's dog, so it could just be he trusts me more so he didn't snap at me. (Just to clarify, it's not that our dogs don't like the other person, we're just their favorites. We've been together most of his dog's life and all of my dogs life.)

As far as contacting the vet about it, it's only been two times he's snapped, so we haven't been too concerned, yet... If it continues, I might call though.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 2:40 pm

I totally get what you mean about 'your dog' Smile if he's doing better I bet it was just the effects of the anesthesia lingering. Smile I bet he'll be great!
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 8:09 pm

Orion had this same behavior after he was neutered too, I just put it down to the fact after anesthesia you can feel not quite "right" for a few days and since no one could explain it to him like they can a person he was probably feeling a bit insecure. Orion came right in a few days and it definitely hasn't been a lasting thing Smile
Back to top Go down
habsfan
Newborn
Newborn
habsfan

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Today he's doing SO much better! He doesn't seem to be in pain, but we're going to continue with the meds the vet gave us until we run out; he's really good about taking them, so it's not a big trouble.

Today my sister and her BF came to visit (they live out of state) and he was completely normal with their dog! Our dogs love each other and he definitely wanted to play with her, we obviously kept an eye on them and made sure they weren't being rough, though. I'm pretty convinced he was grumpy and in a bit of pain the last couple days.

Another random question, how long did everyone wait before resuming walks? I don't plan to go this week, and the forecast is in single digits for the next week anyway... But he's already itching to go, and I feel bad since we just got new snow... all he wants to do is play in it! Smile
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 5:07 am

I waited 5 days as per my vets instructions and it was the longest 5 days ever lol Orion was up at walkies time the very next morning waiting by the door it was awful

Glad to hear your boy is doing better Smile
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 2:02 pm

We did short potty breaks for the first 2-3 days, but resumed just regular walks (15-20mins) after that. We did loose leash training during our regular walks just to exercise his brain a bit to tire him out. I think that as long as he's not running and jumping, he should be ok to just go on a regular relaxed walk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy is being snappy after neutering   Puppy is being snappy after neutering Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy is being snappy after neutering

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1