It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pulling on Walks

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Okay, so

Nala is almost 2 years old and we take her for walks at least once a week and every. single. time. she pulls on her leash VERY hard

She pulls to where i almost lose the leash it makes me scared to walk her on my own! I'm a small girl walking a very strong husky, so I need some advice on how to keep her from pulling.

We have done the whole walk close click treat and repeat but it just doesn't seem to register with her.
She will walk very well on the way home after she is worn out and tired but I just don't get it!

She acts as if we never take her for walks and I am not sure how to fix this problem! Anything helps!

Thank you ahead of time!!!
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:28 pm

So don't take this the wrong way, maybe she acts like she never gets walked because thats kind of true. Once a week? Thats crazy for a husky, I don't know how you can deal with the energy that she has from not being walked. My dogs are walked or go to daycare every single day with the exception of summer depending on weather. The reason you probably can't effectively train her is because she isn't getting enough practice, but I also do get where you are coming from with it being so difficult that you can't walk her, so I won't judge.

My suggestion first would be to get one of the easy walk harnesses, a lot of people use those on here for their huskies (if you do a search you should be able to find a topic on those harnesses). If that doesn't work,then I would suggest looking into a prong collar and training her that way. But it will all get easier if you walk her more, because she won't have that energy and she can be a little more focused.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Well, when she is home she doesn't have that energy honestly she sleeps all day until i get home and she is constantly outside running around so its not like she is cooped up inside all day to store the energy i have a full time job as well as go to school part time so i do not get home until 9-10 at night there fore i can only walk her on Sundays when i have nothing going on, i used to work at petsmart so i know all about the easy walk harness which she had gotten out of i was thinking of trying the prong collar but she pulls so hard i don't want it to hurt her. but i may have to invest.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:46 pm

With the prong collars you just have to train her how to do it. When she pulls, she gets a leash correction, and then you continue walking. You do that over an over again and then she will eventually get the hang of it. Youtube has a lot of great videos on how to train with a prong collar if you have never seen one in action used correctly. I think that would be you best bet, if the easy walk harnesses don't work. Plus they won't hurt her as long as its used right, and you can practice in the beginning when you have free time in your house if you want to get her use to it. A lot of members use them on here, and I have also been considering it lately (we started choke collar training, and I just wasn't a fan), just to deal with them they see other dogs and small animals on the walk. You think 1 is bad try it with 2! That pulling power is awful!  Smile
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:55 pm

oh i cant even imagine! i will look it up and see how it works thank you for the advice in the summer i will start walking her more right now here it is polar temps so pretty hard to walk her in the - degree weather!
Back to top Go down
Taki Mama
Newborn
Newborn
Taki Mama

Female Join date : 2014-01-20

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 5:38 pm

You can also try just stopping when she pulls.  I got a 9 month old husky a month ago, and she loves her walks.  After 2 days she stopped pulling, unless of course she sees a squirrel or another dog (we're working on that).  I remember our first walk... I walked her around the block (1/2 mile to 3/4 a mile), and it took almost 40 minutes!  But I out-stubborned her.  I work from home though, so I am able to take her on multiple walks a day.  The consistency helps, it's worth a try if you have the time this spring/summer!  

When the dog pulls, just stop walking.  Then use whatever cue you use to get him/her to look at you, and then start walking again when she looks at you.  I don't start walking again until Taki looks at me.  I think she understands now that I lead the walks, not her.  She's learning really fast, she almost treats her walks like work!  It's very enjoyable to see her take pride in her walks lol
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 6:37 pm

Aw lol okay i will try that thank you so much! The summers are alot easier to walk her Im sure you know too of the horrible cold we are having right now! she loves it i dont! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pulling on Walks Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pulling on Walks   Pulling on Walks Empty

Back to top Go down

Pulling on Walks

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1