It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share
 

 So sick of people. *rant*

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

Male Join date : 2013-10-08
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:18 am

I've been trying to find a buddy for Kilo. I refuse to buy from a breeder, no offense, it's just not my thing. I prefer to rescue. Tonight I found, what was thought to be, a good candidate for him. A chow/husky mix pup on craigslist. I figure I can train it alongside with Kilo, and Kilo would have an awesome little playmate so he wouldn't get lonely while I'm working. (I work at home, but I can't deviate from my clients.)

Any ways. I text the number and the lady says that the pup's mom is an AKC registered Husky and the dad is an AKC registered Chow. "She didn't intend on them mating but it just happened."

I told her that I have a Husky and just want to get a buddy for him. She tells me that she sold the puppy's sister for $500 but she'll take $200.

Remember, this is on craigslist, and the puppies were an "accident."

I said you're asking purebred craigslist prices for an accident.

She rants about how she paid $1200 for her husky and $1200 for her chow. And the puppy was a "Miracle." - Yeah, right.

I told her that craigslist isn't a place where you sell puppies at a premium, whether mixed or purebred. (I saw a purebred pure white husky in Charlotte for the same amount.) Craigslist is a place where you put an animal up for rescue with a small rehoming fee at most, to make sure the person is serious about taking the responsibility of the animal.

In the end I told her, "I feel bad for you if you paid $1200 for your husky, because it has a lot of faults, including the tail curving to the left."

Yes, I got immature about it. But this is what really ticks me off about people. They think they have something special and can make a lot of money off of these poor animals instead of worrying about if it's going to be placed in a good home.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 5:43 am

Wow I admire you... I agree with everything you said 100%... as for being immature... Stating fact's isn't so immature especially when you are arguing about price, and she is trying to say a mug-blood is worth more because it's parents are fantastic specimens that she paid heaps for, when, as you pointed out - this is not so.
She is just trying to profit from a so called mistake... I'm sorry, but only an un-concerned person has a intact male and female - and doesn't separate them when the bitch is on heat. No accident as far as I am concerned. Simple biology my 8 year old can understand.

(Sorry if my opinion offends anyone)
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22
Location : Atlantic City New Jersey

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 6:21 am

I see things like this all the time when it comes to CL and newspaper classifieds. "xx pure bred puppies for small rehomeing fee" turns out that fee is not quite as small as they would lead you to believe. i often check the pets section of cl hoping to stumble across deals on used doggie stuff (mainly travel crates at the time, now im holding out for the chance of a scooter), also like to keep an eye out for events the local shelters are having... they're always fun to participate in when time permits. it's sad that more times than not it is used as a message board for byb's.

Awhile back i had a run in very simular to yours, i was looking at adopting up another pup for blu as a play mate (and the pitter patter of puppy paws throughout the house brings a smile to my face), found a guy looking to "rehome" a couple of shep/husky mix puppies. texted the guy got information went to his house checked things out... everything seemed alright, he gave me the whole sob story of he bought the puppies from a naighbor but didnt have the time for them so had to give them up, and blu seemed to like the little buggers so i was ready to hop and grab one until he hits me with his price. he wanted 850 per pup (no leashes/collars crate food toys, vet records etc) my eyes widened up and i couldn't help but laugh.

I understand falling on tough times and shit happens so sometimes you need to do the hardest thing and give up your beloved pets, but expecting to recoop what you paid for them is just crazy. needless to say blu is still without a playmate... however im glad i didnt go through with that deal, lord only knows what sort of medical issues i would of had to deal with (the no vet records thing really ticks at the back of my mind).

i personally find that when something doesnt work out it's useually for a good reason, im sure you'll stumble across the right pup for both you and kilo.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 7:14 am

For example, Keyto was virtually free. I had to re-coop the old owner for her registration she had just paid out (yearly council fee for dog control services, I just handed her rego over to my council and got new one for free as I got her from a different council region) and the kennel club ownership transfer, and a condition was I had to have her spayed. So all up she cost me $330.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13
Location : South Fl

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Please don't take offense.. But you don't like "breeders" but are willing to contact someone on craigslist who "accidentally" had a litter of puppies which you yourself doubt as much as I do...

I just don't understand..? I would rather buy from a good breeder than purchase someones backyard concoction. I don't understand how you don't see them as a breeder?

_________________
Force Free Training Thread
Cheyenne, Mishka, Mickey, Rodeo, & Odin
So sick of people. *rant* 6877191385_f831cf231c
Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29
Location : SW Missouri

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 2:32 pm

I would have to agree with Kristina. I would rather my money be spent supporting a breeder who truely loves the Siberian Husky breed and is in it to make sure the breed stays preserved as it is than let my money support someone who was either irresponsible enough to have two intact dogs of the opposite sex together or dumb enough to think people will fall for the "accidental litter" story while selling their dogs to make a profit. Dumb. By paying a person for such a dog you only encourage that behavior to continue in the future when they feel they need to make some money.


Since this is a "sick of people" rant thread here are some things that have P***SED me of lately. People annoy me...

1- I moved to the South about 1.5 years ago. It seems down here there are a large percentage of people who think it is ok to shave or clip the fur of a double coated breed. Seriously. I've even heard it from some "groomers". Just yesterday I was at the dog park and heard an owner complaining about how he shaved his husky mix last summer and it STILL hasn't grown back the same. No S**T sherlock! Ugh! I was drugged up on meds, I just had my wisdom teeth taken out yesterday morning, so I didn't feel like I had the energy to walk over to where him and his friend were chatting about the poor husky's fur and correcting them. It is a DOUBLE COATED BREED. By clipping the poor dog you got rid of the fur that protects from the sun while leaving the short fur that retains heat on the dogs body. (I should note it was also clear he had no idea how to brush out a husky's fur. Undercoat rake? I think he had probably never heard of one...)

2- "Your huskies are small" or "Well, I had a husky, and he was over 100 lbs." . Well good for you @$$hole but that isn't anything to BRAG about. I would still love my dog no matter what size it is but to BRAG about an obscenely large husky is ridiculous. Siberians should NOT be that large, their body frames aren't meant to support it and it can cause a lot of health problems. Seriously. Don't brag about a poorly bred husky. No one should be purposely breeding siberians that are over 70 lbs. The breed standard is between 35-60 lbs. Do your research. A good breeder would NEVER arrange a breeding with a husky or a pair of huskies that were that far out of standard.

3- "Oh, your dog is AKC registered? Do you want to breed it?" NO. Breeding isn't something you do because your dog is beautiful or full blooded. You only do it if you KNOW what you are doing, KNOW your dogs genetic history and ancestry AND that of the intended mate. Also you better be doing all of the necessary testing. You don't just put two dogs together, make them mate, and then make tons of $$$ off the pups. If you were doing the breeding right you would be selling pups for $800 or more and STILL not make a profit. Health should come first and that means sticking to the breed standard and studying the genetics.



I'm still a bit drugged up. I had four teeth pulled. But to be honest, I'd rather be called a B*@#H than bite my tongue. The possibility that I educated even one person in the process is worth it. Maybe, just maybe, someone will bother doing the RESEARCH before making sure ridiculous decisions. I'd rather be rude and educate someone than let them continue to destroy the breed I love so much.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17
Location : Maine

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 pm

If you don't want to buy from a breeder thats your choice, I obviously have no preference with what you do. But why don't you look for an older husky that gets along with Kilo and really needs rescuing and not a puppy off craiglist (I don't think that counts as a rescue). I feel like that defeats your purpose of not buying from a breeder, if your just looking for a puppy that doesn't actually need assistance. I would look for a family who just can't keep their husky anymore, or someone who is in over their head with the breed, or a local husky rescue in your area, sometimes they have younger huskies!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23
Location : Connecticut

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 5:40 pm

Why not go through a rescue if you really don't want to buy from a breeder? This person is a BYB as well so you were contradicting your second sentence by considering them in the first place. I'm sorry but Craigslist isn't a rescue facility either, it's a classified advertisements website also known as an online store. It's definitely not the best place to put up animals for rescue. Also $200 isn't a premium price for a puppy at all even for Craigslist; I've seen them get up to $400 for a re-homing fee before and you wouldn't be making much if any profit off of $200 anyways, so I don't think that they're really looking to make a quick buck. Otherwise the breeding might have been intentional and they would push for something more like $800 USD.

I'm not defending the other person by any means or trying to direct a personal attack at all, I just don't get your frustration. They're a BYB on CL, what did you really expect to see?
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 01, 2014 6:57 pm

@arooroomom wrote:
Please don't take offense.. But you don't like "breeders" but are willing to contact someone on craigslist who "accidentally" had a litter of puppies which you yourself doubt as much as I do...

I just don't understand..? I would rather buy from a good breeder than purchase someones backyard concoction. I don't understand how you don't see them as a breeder?

I think they may have been just saying that they would rather rescue a dog / puppy from a rescue or a certain situation or that getting one of those puppies, you could be self-assured one of them was going to a good home... I wouldn't read too much into it.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26
Location : Wisconsin

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 12:47 am

I guess I do not understand getting a dog from craigslist. The rehoming fees seem outrageous. I love petfinder.com. I have used it for the last 4 pets I got and rescues charge 300-500 for puppies but they come fixed and chipped. The three animals we got for our own family all seem to be purebred animals likely byb. Yet I never had to support the breeders.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29
Location : Ohio

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 10:44 am

If you're not willing to support an ethical, responsible, breeder, then finding a rescue who is equally as ethical in dealing would be your best option. To be honest, $200 is on the low end for any dog wherever you find it as most rescues will charge between $200-$300, and the chances of you supporting a backyard breeder on craigslist, whether the puppy is $50 or $800, is pretty high. People don't have accidental litters all that often, most that say they do end up having another 'accidental' litter 6 months later. If you want to find Kilo a playmate, and don't want to buy from a breeder, finding a rescue in your area that will work with you is your best bet.
Back to top Go down
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

Male Join date : 2013-10-08
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm

This has nothing to do with BYB. The pup I was wanting to get was an "accident." Not BYB. He was also mixed. I rescued Kilo from craigslist when he was, at least the vet says, 10 months old, from a woman that couldn't care for him anymore. And I have no problem getting him a companion from a rescue. I just like to weigh all of my options. And getting one from a rescue doesn't guarantee that it wasn't a BYB. The main reason of the rant was the fact that some people try to make money on what they think is special and are blithely unaware of what's actually best for the animal.
Back to top Go down
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

Male Join date : 2013-10-08
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 8:46 pm

@arooroomom wrote:
Please don't take offense.. But you don't like "breeders" but are willing to contact someone on craigslist who "accidentally" had a litter of puppies which you yourself doubt as much as I do...

I just don't understand..? I would rather buy from a good breeder than purchase someones backyard concoction. I don't understand how you don't see them as a breeder?
You're convoluting the point of the post. The point is that people try to pass off something special when it's not, in order to make a profit at the expense of an animal.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 8:54 pm

@cyphr wrote:
This has nothing to do with BYB. The pup I was wanting to get was an "accident." Not BYB. He was also mixed. I rescued Kilo from craigslist when he was, at least the vet says, 10 months old, from a woman that couldn't care for him anymore. And I have no problem getting him a companion from a rescue. I just like to weigh all of my options. And getting one from a rescue doesn't guarantee that it wasn't a BYB. The main reason of the rant was the fact that some people try to make money on what they think is special and are blithely unaware of what's actually best for the animal.

I at least understand where you are coming from Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 9:40 pm

How do you know this person isn't a BYB? That could have easily been a planned breeding. It's craigslist and people lie all the time.

I paid 800 - 1200 for my dogs from a good breeder. I'd do it again....but I will say that ALL dogs have faults and 1200 or not, a dog will have a fault.

I wouldn't consider getting a dog off craigslist a rescue - you are still purchasing the puppy.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

Male Join date : 2013-10-08
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:02 pm

@mbarnard0429 wrote:
How do you know this person isn't a BYB? That could have easily been a planned breeding. It's craigslist and people lie all the time.

I paid 800 - 1200 for my dogs from a good breeder. I'd do it again....but I will say that ALL dogs have faults and 1200 or not, a dog will have a fault.

I wouldn't consider getting a dog off craigslist a rescue - you are still purchasing the puppy.


So then my 10 month old Kilo I got from Craigslist wasn't a rescue when the owner couldn't provide for him anymore? Also, you pay for rescue dogs. Regardless of what the money is used [for]. You give the rescue money; you get a dog.

Who in their right mind would breed a mix on purpose? It's not a "designer" breed like labradoodles, etc. There would be no point. The ad had been up for a month and no other postings of the same phone number or pics of the pup. I'm starting to realise that people are picking and choosing what to read in this post. Regardless of me pointing out numerous times that it's not about BYB.

The amount of sententiousness in this thread is higher than I care to put up with.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:47 pm

@cyphr wrote:





The amount of sententiousness in this thread is higher than I care to put up with.



I'm learning to avoid those threads... they seem to be a frequent occurance around here.

EDIT: Problem is people can't just stick to the actual topic... they have to delve deeper and question everyones intentions. Doesn't really make for a happy forum.


Last edited by histi on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26
Location : Wisconsin

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:48 pm

A rescue has to charge to continue to make money so they can rescue more animals. A person on craigslist asking for money just sits funny with me. If I had to give up Loki now and found the perfect family I would not charge them. I would give them everything of his and ask to get updates. Just my feelings on it. Personally I would feel awkward about selling any of my pets even if I had paid out a lot of money and only had them a short time.
Back to top Go down
CaliaKisses
Puppy
Puppy
CaliaKisses

Female Join date : 2011-12-26
Location : Suffolk County, NY

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:55 pm

The difference between Kilo and this mixed pup is that Kilo wasn't produced by the person who gave him to you. I would consider Kilo a rescue while this pup you were looking at I would not consider a rescue. And yes, people do purposely breed mixes all of the time, often labeling it as a new designer breed or claiming hybrid vigor.

And to be honest, if the person took proper care for the litter, $200 would just make up for the costs. Vet care and shots aren't cheap for a litter of puppies, neither is the extra food intake by the puppies and mom. Even without health tests, it's quite pricey to properly raise up a litter.
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

Male Join date : 2013-12-11
Location : Southern California

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 11:10 pm

@cyphr wrote:

@mbarnard0429 wrote:
How do you know this person isn't a BYB? That could have easily been a planned breeding. It's craigslist and people lie all the time.

I paid 800 - 1200 for my dogs from a good breeder. I'd do it again....but I will say that ALL dogs have faults and 1200 or not, a dog will have a fault.

I wouldn't consider getting a dog off craigslist a rescue - you are still purchasing the puppy.



So then my 10 month old Kilo I got from Craigslist wasn't a rescue when the owner couldn't provide for him anymore? Also, you pay for rescue dogs. Regardless of what the money is used [for]. You give the rescue money; you get a dog.

Who in their right mind would breed a mix on purpose? It's not a "designer" breed like labradoodles, etc. There would be no point. The ad had been up for a month and no other postings of the same phone number or pics of the pup. I'm starting to realise that people are picking and choosing what to read in this post. Regardless of me pointing out numerous times that it's not about BYB.

The amount of sententiousness in this thread is higher than I care to put up with.

Kilo is a rescue because you took him from an owner than couldn't provide for him anymore. This dog you're talking about was bred (purposefully or not) and is being sold for a premium. That's not rescuing, that's supporting unethical breeding. You don't know if they were an accident or not, for all you know she could be squeezing as many pups as she can out of these two dogs, and getting as much money as possible from them. That's why you don't buy from unaccredited breeders; there's no telling for sure of what you're getting. The reason why people are pointing this out is because you say you don't buy from breeders, "it's not your thing"; yet you were looking on craigslist and were interested in buying a dog from a BYB.
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 11:39 pm

@iceiceice wrote:

 The reason why people are pointing this out is because you say you don't buy from breeders, "it's not your thing"; yet you were looking on craigslist and were interested in buying a dog from a BYB.


(NOTE: I am pointing this at EVERYONE that this applies to, and it would have applied to me a month ago or so most likely - but I am trying to be more understanding of people's views.)

Ok, but do we HAVE to point it out? Is it really our business who she chooses to buy animals from? The OP is obviously educated about what the majority vote is on who we should buy dogs/pups from as she is here participating in this community. When you all pick on people for there preferences/views/opinions (which may have actually just be resulting from a poor explanation of what OP meant) we are left with a HOSTILE unpleasant forum. We don't need to hijack every thread with everyone's opinion on animal ethics and shove it down the 'offenders' throat.

In all honesty I have had enough of the tension it creates... and I don't enjoy 'hanging around' here much anymore as a result.

And everytime I return, I see more un-necessary Hostility and tension.

I wish people would go and toss there ethics related disputes into the already existent ethic based threads.
Back to top Go down
cyphr
Newborn
Newborn
cyphr

Male Join date : 2013-10-08
Location : Winston-Salem, NC

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 11:42 pm

I wouldn't mind if she were to have said, "It's just to cover the vet, food, toys." But, that wasn't the case. She also stated it was a mix. Not a special breed with an outrageous name like chowsky. Never claimed it was a hybrid nor designer.

Here comes the reason why I don't buy from breeders. I wasn't going to divulge this because I knew it would cause problems. But it seems that it didn't matter if I did or didn't:
I find it irresponsible to buy from a breeder, given the fact that there are too many dogs, in the pound and being put down, that can go to loving homes. But people are pretentious and only want purebreds. And bragging about how much you paid only makes you seem only more self-righteous.

I am not a breed queen. I'm not trying to go out and get the most purebred dog out there. Also, whether she was a BYB or not, is unknown. Could it have been an accident? Yep. Could she be a BYB? Maybe. But all of you stating matter-of-factly as though you know her personally and that she is a BYB, is just totally ignorant.

I don't know/care what breed Kilo's companion will be. But I do know that it will be a rescue, whether it comes from an actual husky rescue, pound, or even better, a dog with the same circumstances as Kilo's. And the pup on craigslist was advertised without a price. I wasn't interested in paying that much for it. I was expecting like 30-50 dollars at most.

Lastly, I wasn't looking to buy a dog on craigslist. The pup didn't have a price on the advert. Which is why, initially, I was so upset and caused me to rant because of the audacity of the woman. If you're going to accuse me of something, make sure you have your facts truly straight.

People really are picking and choosing what they read. This is from my initial post:

I told her that craigslist isn't a place where you sell puppies at a premium, whether mixed or purebred. (I saw a purebred pure white husky in Charlotte for the same amount.) Craigslist is a place where you put an animal up for rescue with a small rehoming fee at most, to make sure the person is serious about taking the responsibility of the animal.

I thought I made it clear about what craigslist is for to her and on here. Guess people read and see what they want.

I'm a guy, by the way. ^_^
Back to top Go down
iceiceice
Newborn
Newborn
iceiceice

Male Join date : 2013-12-11
Location : Southern California

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:14 am

@cyphr wrote:
I wouldn't mind if she were to have said, "It's just to cover the vet, food, toys." But, that wasn't the case. She also stated it was a mix. Not a special breed with an outrageous name like chowsky. Never claimed it was a hybrid nor designer.

Here comes the reason why I don't buy from breeders. I wasn't going to divulge this because I knew it would cause problems. But it seems that it didn't matter if I did or didn't:
I find it irresponsible to buy from a breeder, given the fact that there are too many dogs, in the pound and being put down, that can go to loving homes. But people are pretentious and only want purebreds. And bragging about how much you paid only makes you seem only more self-righteous.

I'm sorry, but you're REALLY misinformed about purebred animals, buying from an accredited legit breeder is one of the most responsible things you can do when getting a dog. One of the most irresponsible things you could do is buying from a BYB or a pet store that gets their dogs from puppy mills, because they are the reason why there is too many animals, and why there are so many dogs being put down in the shelters. Not breeders. You are confusing puppy mills and BYBs with ACTUAL breeders; BYBs and Petstores, and puppy mills are NOT breeders. Breeders that breed to further the breed are the reason we can have our wonderful Siberian Huskies, that have certain predictable traits which makes us interested in them. They are only like that because of breeders' amazing work that they put into the breed.

People do buy dogs for their actual purposes, especially the herding breeds, and if their were no breeders that bred working animals, these farmers jobs would be a hell of a lot harder.

Quote :
I am not a breed queen. I'm not trying to go out and get the most purebred dog out there.  Also, whether she was a BYB or not, is unknown. Could it have been an accident? Yep. Could she be a BYB? Maybe. But all of you stating matter-of-factly as though you know her personally and that she is a BYB, is just totally ignorant.


But she is a BYB. Do you know what BYB stands for? It stands for Back-Yard-Breeder. Not puppy mill, not a kennel, a Back-Yard-Breeder. A BYB is someone that is breeding dogs for no good reason, no purpose, or is breeding for money. They don't do anything with their dogs. They are breeding and making puppies just to make puppies. That pollutes bloodlines, and makes the breed stray from the actual breed. Any accredited breeder has a goal in mind when breeding, whether it's conformation, agility, rally, etc. The puppies they have that don't fit their goal are spayed and neutered, and rehomed or sold as pets to make sure people don't breed for no reason and corrupt bloodlines.


Quote :
Lastly, I wasn't looking to buy a dog on craigslist. The pup didn't have a price on the advert. Which is why, initially, I was so upset and caused me to rant because of the audacity of the woman. If you're going to accuse me of something, make sure you have your facts truly straight.

We can't have straight facts without a straight story. You should've posted this in the OP.


Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:19 am

@cyphr wrote:

I'm a guy, by the way. ^_^

Opps... Sorry Sad
Back to top Go down
histi
Teenager
Teenager
histi

Female Join date : 2013-12-10
Location : New Zealand

So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* EmptySat Feb 15, 2014 1:30 am

oh yay, more HOSTILITY...

So anyway, basically, to sum it up - by no fault of it's own, a puppy that is accidentally bred or bred irresponsibly on purpose, DOES NOT DESERVE A LOVING FAMILY??

The definition of 'Rescue dog' is in the eye of the beholder if you ask me... There aren't any hard fast rules. If you are willing to take a mongrel puppy for a small or fair price and provide it a forever home, you are still rescuing a dog from ending up dumped or abandoned or ultimately going to a shelter that has to run on other's good graces anyway, so you are basically doing rescue shelters a favor in the first place. I believe that is what the OP was trying to do, and that is admirable on it's own, and a prevention tactic in it's own right.

The OP was simply expressing the distaste they felt upon finding out that the owner of the pup's was still trying to make a buck anyway....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




So sick of people. *rant* Empty
PostSubject: Re: So sick of people. *rant*   So sick of people. *rant* Empty

Back to top Go down
 

So sick of people. *rant*

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

 Similar topics

-
» SFG prejudice to old people???
» Rant! Lowes - Curt response when picking up EMT Conduit
» Sick sugar snap peas
» Sick Tomato/To-MAH-to
» Home sick from work, gardening makes me feel better!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: General Discussions-