It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Collar help!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

Female Join date : 2012-02-01

collar - Collar help! Empty
PostSubject: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 1:11 am

Hi everyone, it's been quite a long time since I've posted in this forum! My female husky has now gone through about 3 collars this past year. The first one the plastic buckle broke on so I moved on to a metal buckle. She broke the D ring on the metal buckle collar so I bought the same metal buckle collar with TWO D rings to help adjust the pressure. Tonight she broke the metal buckle.

I'm quite at a loss of what exactly I'm going to do as I just don't feel comfortable with my dogs going without a collar and ID. I don't like choke collars or prong collars. Any suggestions on a strong "normal" collar? I just haven't had to deal with this before, my male husky hasn't ever broken any collars.

I'm going to attach a photo of the buckle that broke. In blue circles there should be a piece of metal that holds the male clip into the female clip.

collar - Collar help! Xge91w
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 1:27 am

A flat, limited slip Alaskan collar.
I have had three huskies and replaced the collars as the dogs grew, but never had one break.
They are adjustable, too.

http://www.nordkyn.com
Go to "Equipment," then "Collars."
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks! I like the prices too, definitely affordable. I will try this!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 am

You can also try something like this:
http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Collar-Adjustable-Rope-Collar?sc=2&category=16

or this:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Top-Rope-Collar-Dog-Collar?sc=2&category=16

Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 1:57 am

How does the knotted one work without accidentally loosening it if you grab them under the collar, etc?
Back to top Go down
WolvenSight
Teenager
Teenager
WolvenSight

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 2:43 am

I have the Ruffwear top-rope collar listed above. I have been using it for over a year and it is great. It never has come undone and it has been put to the test multiple times (hiking, snow, rain, long leash, pulling really hard and playing with other dogs on a leash). I combine that collar with this http://www.ruffwear.com/Knot-a-Leash-Rope-Dog-Leash, it uses a carabiner. Bomb proof setup imo.
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 4:00 am

many of the metal collars on the market are prone to failing through stress fractures over time and the brittle nature of the metals used. A good brass one should hold up to anything.
Back to top Go down
Bella_Jasper
Teenager
Teenager
Bella_Jasper

Female Join date : 2013-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 10:59 am

I've been using a standard Hamilton collar on my two for just under a year now. Different brand I'm pretty sure but same style I used with my last husky mix as well. Last dog could go through three collars a week sometimes until this type. Its just a metal buckle like a belt you would wear but they hold up maybe not as pretty as other types or dont hold their brightness as long but it works. Bella's is starting to fray a bit now but thats cause i had to burn holes in it for her. She was too excited at the store so I ended up with a too big collar. Personally I avoid plastic and snap buckles of any type they make me nervous with these guys but, pet supplies plus has an interesting collar with a buckle fashioned after the old metal seat belts that I may eventually try.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:30 am

As a last resort if none of the other suggestions work you could look at a dairy supply and buy a collar for a dairy cow.  Plenty strong, but will need to be cut to length and it will seem oversize as it will be slightly thicker and a bit wider, usually only come in blue and red.  I'm sure something else will work but this is an option.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:41 am

I like martingale or slip collars. I use the lupine brand, they are guaranteed and will replace even if chewed up! My first sibe had hers for over 10 years and it never broke. It's also nice because they have 3 d rings, one for tags, one if you don't want to use the slip feature, and then the one that is on the slip part.

http://store.lupinepet.com/large-dog-combo-collars/
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 12:51 pm

I have a variety of collars for my pups, none of which have broken. One of my two favorite brands is indi-dog in the UK, she has a husky herself that she tests her gear on and her collars are superb quality. A bit pricy, but I have three half-checks, three flats, three normal leads, and three police leads from her now. Needless to say I'm obsessed. http://indi-dog.co.uk/

And my second favorite brand would be the one Jen posted right above, lupine. They have a guarantee which is nice, never had to use the guarantee personally as all of my collars still look brand new and none have broken. I have ten collars from them and six slip leads, my only issue is with their leads (the regular snap lead) as my dogs have escaped from their 'gate style' snap on those leads, which is why I opted to get the slip leads instead where I can either loop it through the collar, or add my own carabiner. If you use a harness for her walking, I recommend a regular buckle collar from them. And from personal preference, I like how the 3/4" lies on my females fur (39 pounds) better than the 1", but the 1" looks great on my 52 pound male. But if you use a collar for walking, I'd go with the combo collar Jen posted. Here's their main site. http://lupinepet.com/
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 12:59 pm

I totally agree with you on the leads for lupine. I use another brand of leash.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 2:30 pm

wpskier222 wrote:

Good deal! If I wasn't so OCD about their gear all matching (I get in a tizzy if I have to use the green WYDWL with the black collar/lead) I would've just stuck with my Mes Amis leashes, but alas I had to order the matching slip leads for the collars Razz
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 2:33 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

wpskier222 wrote:

Good deal! If I wasn't so OCD about their gear all matching (I get in a tizzy if I have to use the green WYDWL with the black collar/lead) I would've just stuck with my Mes Amis leashes, but alas I had to order the matching slip leads for the collars Razz

I probably would have done that if I had thought about it lol. My stuff is all mixed up and nothing matches. Sad
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Get a lupine collar- she can destroy it as many times as she wants and they'll replace it for free. And then just use a martingale or harness when you walk her Wink
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Mobezilla wrote:

wpskier222 wrote:

I'm totally stealing this idea. I just ordered the rain song slip leash to match his collar. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:52 pm

wpskier222 wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

wpskier222 wrote:

I'm totally stealing this idea. I just ordered the rain song slip leash to match his collar. Very Happy

Omg, Megan. I'm like this too! Nikolai is blue, and Siku is black. I can never buy any kind of colors outside of that or it drives me insane. The fact that Siku's ruffwear pack is red, makes me like cringe!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 pm

wpskier222 wrote:

Mobezilla wrote:

Ahh!! I have rain song for Yuki, its one of my FAVORITES! Have you seen the way I do it without the carabiner?

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t11229-lupine-lovers-leash-idea

Post 3 shows how I attach it to their harnesses/collars, until I can find a good, STRONG, carabiner I like that isnt giant.

And Lupine was AWESOME to me, since I had six 6ft leads and three 2ft leads, I emailed them to see if I could trade them in and they let me send back the snap leads I had (all of them in brand new condition of course, I had only used one a couple times before I found out Link and Yuki could unsnap it) and they sent me back all the patterns I had in slip leads.

siku&nikolai wrote:

Omg, Megan. I'm like this too! Nikolai is blue, and Siku is black. I can never buy any kind of colors outside of that or it drives me insane. The fact that Siku's ruffwear pack is red, makes me like cringe!

Glad I'm not alone!! Cloud is blue, Yuki is purple with a secondary color of pink, and Link is green with a secondary color of black. I know the feeling with the packs, I'm about to order a wolf pack in purple for Yuki and a wolf pack in green for Link, I was so happy to find a brand that matched my color system XD
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Dizzy is teal.
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 3:27 pm

Sorry to have bowed out like that! I am just looking for a collar that can stand up to just walking her to the darn house! When we visit our in laws we put both dogs in their large (20x20 maybe?) kennel out back for the day and then bring them in at night, so dealing with a harness for only the short walk to the front of the house would be overkill. This is when the collars keep breaking though is just in that short time.
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm still rather undecided about which collar to get.

The knot a collar I really like but I read reviews that said it loosened. It makes sense when you look at the collar that if the dog is pushing on the front plate and the leash is clipped the to the back plate that it would loosen the collar.

I read a review on the buckle collar that it would sometimes pop open and also that the of the collar itself was thin and cheap feeling.

I like Lupine's but she's already snapped a D ring just like that before so that wouldn't work either, they would need two in one spot for me to clip the leash to simultaneously. I'm also looking to keep it on her at all times which a semi-choke collar would make me nervous.

With Nordkyn they don't have enough pictures for each collar for me to really understand what I'm getting to try to make a choice. Sad
Back to top Go down
Geo23
Newborn
Newborn
Geo23

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 6:42 pm

collar - Collar help! 20140210

This collar works great for me. Idk how old your husky is there is xs s m l xl and they are thick and never have come off.
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 1:49 am

It says in my signature how old both my huskies are Wink

I have a kong collar on her right now as it is my backup collar. Considering she has broken metal ones though I don't trust it that much.
Back to top Go down
Geo23
Newborn
Newborn
Geo23

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 2:04 am

Haha I saw that collars not the age thou lol. Well idk metal ones once they loosen its bad from there on. The kong has lots of rope and its hard to loosen it. At least I think so. I love kong but then again Diego is only 5 months.
Back to top Go down
Kiyonai
Teenager
Teenager
Kiyonai

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 2:11 am

I didn't start having problems with her breaking collars until she was at least 18 months old. Then it's like every 3-6 months another is broken.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collar help!   collar - Collar help! Empty

Back to top Go down

Collar help!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next