It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help with my cats and Huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zyver87
Newborn
Newborn

cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? Empty
PostSubject: Help with my cats and Huskies?   cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi people, im new to this website. I've always like huskies alot Very Happy . And i really want to get one at the beginning of this summer, but the problem is, i heard something about them eating cats and whatnot.  I have 3 cats right now and one dog, and none of them are aggressive at all towards eachother. what can i do to keep my new dog friendly with my cats so they dont get eaten? Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Help with my cats and Huskies?   cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:31 pm

Someone else just asked basically same question. Here ya go https://www.itsahuskything.com/t12381-huskys-and-cats#187083
Back to top Go down
Zyver87
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Help with my cats and Huskies?   cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:32 pm

I know I saw that, but what in asking is what can I do to make my husky more friendly with cats.
Back to top Go down
clifforddillon1982
Newborn
Newborn
clifforddillon1982

Male Join date : 2014-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Help with my cats and Huskies?   cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 am

I can tell you that we recently got a husky and we keep him in the kitchen only. He is separated from our 2 cats. There is a baby gate that keeps him out of the hallway and the cats can come and go as they please. If they get scared, they leave. The dog is getting to the point now where he isn't getting to excited about seeing the cats anymore but the cats seem to need more time.

From what I have read, if you introduce them to the family early it will be fine.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Help with my cats and Huskies?   cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 10:49 am

I don't think friendly is what you want to teach the puppy. You will want to teach the puppy to respect the cats. You husky will naturally be friendly towards them, too friendly, and until he learns to respect the cats, this can be trouble. Something can start as play, but quickly become dangerous for either the cats or the husky puppy.

I have two cats, and the male can be quite aggressive, in fact he had Dizzy cornered the other day. If I hadn't trained Dizzy to defer to the cats, it could have gotten ugly. When he was little I corrected him if he even looked at the cats, because looking is ALWAYS followed by investigating... As he got a little bigger, around 12 weeks, I let each cat swipe him in the nose and he's been pretty respectful for the most part. He actually really wants to be friends with Martini, our female cat, and she is curious about him, but still a little scared. He will approach her with his tail wagging and very calmly, but she will hiss at him and he'll walk away. If they hiss, or if the male cat growls, Dizzy puts his ears back and walks away.

Don't let the puppy invade their personal space, and if the pup is getting too wild, put him/her in a timeout. It's definitely doable, we live in a tiny studio apartment with two cats and a husky, but it takes work.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Help with my cats and Huskies?   cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? EmptyFri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 am

My husky puppy does not have aggression, but like all huskies he has prey drive.  There is a difference.  Does your current dog react at all when your cats run?  Do your cats ever run around the house?  It is much harder to manage prey drive when more then 1 dog is involved as it escalates faster.   But otherwise, you just have to find ways to manage it.  Then, there are some huskies with a prey drive so high it cannot be managed similar to other breeds with high prey drives (all working dogs, sight hounds, etc.).  The best info I found on the topic of prey drive and tesitng, is for greyhound cat testing online.

Also, Loki is very friendly with my bengal cat (They like to clean each other). But then he seems to lose sight of his boundaries with her. So, I have to manage that as well to make sure he respects her like wpskier222 said. It is almost easier with my cat that has almost no interest in him, I have no issues between Loki and Neo as a result.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with my cats and Huskies?   cats - Help with my cats and Huskies? Empty

Back to top Go down

Help with my cats and Huskies?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1