It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Considering a raw diet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Considering a raw diet? Empty
PostSubject: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 3:24 pm

This is such a great guide and resource written and shared by a dear friend of mine on another forum that I received permission from her to cross post it for the benefit of others considering venturing into raw feeding or for those that are just curious:

If you are considering raw feeding, good for you! It is truly the best thing you can feed your dog. Dogs are carnivores, they thrive on fresh meat, bones, and organs. It is what they are meant to eat. It is species appropriate.

There are a couple trains of thought on raw feeding. Some people feed BARF, which stands for bones and raw foods. It is based on a combination of a slurry of vegetables and supplements, with raw meaty bones added in such as chicken necks, wings, and backs. This method has fallen out of favor as more research is done into species appropriate raw diets. Dogs don’t need or process fruits and vegetables well unless they are broken down into a paste. The veggies just pass on through without digesting, unless you break down the cellulose. So if you choose to do a BARF model, make sure you do lots of reading on what supplements are needed and make sure that the vegetables you use are pulverized.

Prey model diet is a very balanced and, in my opinion, an easier way to do a raw diet than BARF. The veggies aren’t needed at all. The diet consists of 80% meat, 10% bone (always raw, never ever cooked), and 10% organs. Of those organs, 5% must be liver and the other 5% is a secreting organ such as kidney, pancreas, reproductive organs, thymus, etc. Heart and gizzards count as muscle meats. You start off feeding 2-3% of your dogs weight. Here’s a calculator that shows you how much to feed per day…

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm

You may be surprised to see that a 50 pound dog only needs approximately 1 lb of food a day. That is because the raw diet is completely bio-available. NO fillers, no dyes, no grains, no extras. Just meat and a little bone and your dog processes it completely. One of the first things you will notice on a raw diet is that your dog drinks less water, (raw meat has a very high water content) and has very small bowel movements. There is a huge difference between the stools of a kibble fed dog and a raw fed one.

It’s very important to start off SLOW when you ease into raw. You must stay with chicken (or another single protein if your dog cannot have chicken) only for the first few weeks. Dump the kibble first. Get it out of the house. Kibble is like doggy drugs… it has a spray coating of flavor/fat and has a lot of odor that entices dogs to eat it. If your dog knows there is kibble in the house, they may not want to transition to raw as readily. Raw has little to no odor, so some dogs don’t recognize it as food until they really taste it and see how good it is.

Chicken is a great place to start. You want to feed mostly meat with a little bone when beginning a dog on raw so start with Cornish hens, chicken quarters, or bone-in chicken breasts. Some people start off with bone-in chicken thighs, especially if you have a dog that tends to have loose stools. The extra bone content in the thigh helps to keep the stools firm during this transition time. Chicken is a protein that is easily digested, readily available, and not expensive. A great starter meat. Be sure and get UNENHANCED chicken. Lots of chicken has "broth" or a salt solution pumped into it to make the chicken more tender. If it says enhanced with a 10% solution, skip it. You want just plain old chicken. Read the label. You want the sodium level to be about 80mg for a 4 ounce portion.

Your dog may experience a “detox” period as they come off of the kibble. You may notice more shedding, loose stools, itching, or even vomiting in rare cases. These issues will pass as the dogs body adjusts to a raw diet. Then you will see the benefits of raw start to show up! Little to no body odor, small compact stools, bright shiny coat that hardly sheds, more muscle tone and increased energy. The benefits of teeth cleaning are widely documented. Most raw dogs never need to have a dental. Immune system health will improve as well and dogs that had allergies or sensitive stomachs will experience huge benefits. There have even been studies that show that raw fed dogs are more resistant to parasites, as well as some cancers.

Once your dog is well established on chicken (usually 1-2 weeks) and you are seeing normal compact stools, you can start adding in other proteins. Your dog can eat beef, pork, chicken, cornish hens, quail, duck, turkey, goat, lamb, sheep, deer, elk, rabbit, eggs, fish, etc. Start slow by adding in a very small amount of the new protein to the chicken until the dog is adjusted. Then you can move on to new proteins. Over several months, your dog should be exposed to as many proteins as you can find. Variety is key and helps to provide all the nutrients your dog needs. Once your raw feeding regimen is established, your dog should be eating at least 50% red meat.

At this point, organs can be added in. You will feed 5% of the diet in liver (chicken, pork, beef, or calf) and 5% other organ. Beef kidney is readily available in most markets. Organs are a very small – but very IMPORTANT – part of the diet. They provide nutrients that aren’t found in muscle meats and must be part of the diet. Not a large part, only 10% overall, but they must be included.

For small dogs, I have found that cornish hens are a great base food. The bones are small and easy to chew, and they are the right size for little mouths. Lamb breast also has good edible bone, as does rabbit, quail, and pork ribs. A whole cornish hen is about 35% bone. So you will want to alternate Cornish hen parts that have bone, with boneless meals in order to keep the total bone at 10% of the diet.

Where does pre-made frozen raw fit in? These are products that are already “balanced” for you with the meat/bones/organs in a ground form. Some popular brands you may run across are Nature’s Variety, Stella and Chewy’s, Bravo, or Primal. These products are very easy to use. Pop out a patty or a medallion from your bag in the freezer, thaw it out and feed it to your dog. Many people like these pre-mades for convenience. However, they don’t give your dog the mental and physical work of whole prey. Your dog NEEDS the stimulation of chewing and crunching up a piece of meat. In my opinion, pre-mades are fine for occasional use or to add variety, but I wouldn’t use them full time. They are convenient to have on hand for emergencies, boarding situation, or pet sitters. They also come in handy for puppies who are having trouble chewing or seniors.

Part of raw feeding is really getting to know your dog. Some dogs do better on a little more than 10% of their diet as bone. Some do fine with less. Try to keep the ratios at 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ with 5% being liver. You can weigh it out at first if you want to, but let the dog’s body condition be your guide. If the dog looks a little ribby and thin, increase the raw from 2% of his body weight to 3% or even 4%, depending on the dogs activity level, age, and metabolism. Puppies should eat up to 10% of their body weight, so adjust accordingly if you are feeding a baby. If your dogs stools get loose, add more bone. If your dog is straining to defecate or his stools are white and crumbly, back off on the bone.

I have found that keeping the mindset of mostly meat, a little bone, and a smidge of organ works well. You don’t have to balance the meals every day. That’s a lot of work! Try to aim for balance over time. Keep a journal of what you are feeding at first so that you can look over the menu and see where you might be lacking. Balance over several weeks is good. I do organs as a single meal on the weekend. It’s easy for me to remember and our dog doesn't have a problem with loose stools. Some people prefer to add a tiny smidge of organs every day or a couple times a week. Be creative and find what works for you.

I will add a caution here to new raw feeders. You MUST feed bones and organs along with the meat in order for this diet to be safe and nutritionally balanced. If you aren’t committed to doing this, then stay with a high quality, grain free canned food and add in some raw meaty bones for dental health. I’ve covered the bases, but there are many good resources to learn more on the raw diet. Here’s a few links to get you started.

This one is a great place to start and you can spend a lot of time going through the many pages here. The "myths of raw feeding" pages are invaluable and answers most, if not all, the questions a newbie to raw will have. Invaluable site!

http://rawfed.com/myths/feedraw.html

http://rawfed.com/myths/

http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

The raw feeders yahoo group is a great place to learn also. There are over 16,000 raw feeders on the list from all over the world.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/

Another site I like that has a lot of good history, anatomy of the dog and why it's made to eat raw, and lots of good links on the link page ....

http://rawfeddogs.net/

A raw feeders blog with lots of interesting info …

http://www.krisannriorawfeeding.com/

More info and lots of links!

http://mypetcarnivore.com/rawfeeding_basics.htm

Anatomy and physiology of the dog versus the wolf and the debate on whether dogs are omnivores or carnivores.

http://aspenbloompetcare.com/2009/07/dogs-the-omnivore-carnivore-controversy.htm

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There are lots of raw feeders here and we are more than willing to help! Do a little research and off you go. You won’t regret it and your dog will thank you! Once you see the difference that a raw diet makes, your only regret will be not doing it sooner.

EDIT: I am editing this to add another really helpful link with a really great starting out guide:
http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

Last edited by Huskyluv on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 pm

thanks for posting this! Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 11:46 pm

No problem! I figured it would be helpful for those venturing into the world of raw feeding or just curious about it. Either way it has a lot of helpful links that even I keep coming back to regularly. Smile

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Great post Smile

Considering a raw diet? Hailey10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Thanks for this Val! It's awesome for people to do research on it because it's obviously something you don't jump into without doing so. Once we move I'm going back to purely raw and have been researching it on the daily to make sure I do everything perfect!

Also a great resource for new raw feeders is going on Dogster and looking at their discussions and finding the raw one!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptySat Dec 25, 2010 7:02 pm

Great info! I will definitely come back here to read up on this topic more by checking out the links provided.

Thanks!!

Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

Female Join date : 2010-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 2:58 pm

This was a really awesome read. I have long considered switching to raw especially since my pug's teeth are really icky! I've been brushing them without much luck and giving her dental chews. But her previous owner didn't really give her to much dental attention and she was overweight when we first adopted her!

My biggest concern is definitely the cost. At the moment we feed california natural and we sometimes mix in some other grain free foods for variety. It costs about 36 dollars for a 35 lb. bag which lasts us around 3 weeks.

So how much of a cost difference will it be for 3 dogs? And should I continue to feed loki puppy kibble until he is over a year prior to switching to raw?

Cost is the biggest concern because we are not rich, we live ok but we definitely don't have a lot of money extra to spend. So I am wondering how much more it would be to switch over completely.

I probably will leave the cats on their kibble because they are sooooo picky and most of them wouldn't be to keen on switching off their diet.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Cost is all based on where you are. I can get raw meat pretty much dirt cheap here in FL. We have a huge Hispanic/Jamaican/Haitian population here which makes it easy to find ethnic grocery stores. I would not be able to afford feeding raw if I shopped at our neighborhood Publix (major grocery chain.)

There is also the option of premades, but IMO that's probably the biggest price jack ever. And it's all ground up, what's the point of that?!

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 3:59 pm

That makes sense! I am not really sure of the meat prices in my area. My fiancee is a butcher so he would DEFINITELY be the one to ask hehehe. I will have to ask him. I also don't really like the premades definitely seems like a big ol' waste ^_^
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:52 pm

The premades are not worth the money but they are convenient if you are traveling or you have someone pet sitting or something like that.

Like Kristina mentioned, the cost is relative and MOST raw feeders pay less to feed raw than they do to feed kibble. What really helps with cost is buying in bulk and shopping at ethnic food markets. You can always look into bulk meat group buys or a local co-op. Some people get good deals on meat and bones that their local butcher would have otherwise had to pay to have removed.

Definitely scope out your options in advance and price it out. Most Walmart stores even sell chicken quarters at 59 cents a pound which is way less than what you'd pay for kibble. If you shop around you can find good deals even at your local supermarket, if meat is approaching it's "sell by" date for example they will often mark it down considerably to get it sold quickly. You can also post a wanted ad on Craigslist for meat or freezer burnt meat. Hunters and those cleaning out their freezers will sometimes give this stuff away for free. Some stuff you won't see sitting out at your grocer but if you ask the butcher they might have stuff in the back that they will sell for cheap. I don't see much at my local Publix but my local Bi-Lo often has organ meat and other novel meats/parts that are less than a dollar a pound which is still cheaper than most kibbles. The Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw that I feed costs a little over a dollar a lb so if I can pay less than $1/lb then I'm saving money and any raw meat or RMBs that I buy are always less than $1/lb.

Just be sure that if you venture into raw you do plenty of research and do it correctly. PMR diets achieve balance over time so it's extremely important to have a variety of meat sources, bone and organ included in their diet. But to start out you will typically stick to one protein source like chicken for the first month before including organ meat and other meat sources.

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Lokipaws wrote:
And should I continue to feed loki puppy kibble until he is over a year prior to switching to raw?

That is really a matter of personal preference. Puppies thrive on raw diets the same way adults do so there really is no reason for you to keep your pup on kibble if the other two are on raw.

Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Definitely going to start researching!

My dog coal has always had issues with yeasty skin, allergies, all because when he was a puppy he was very very sick and he had demodex for the first 6 months of his life. He hasn't tested positive on his scrapes but he still seems itchy and I have to be very careful with what I feed him hence the california natural. the last food mix seemed to make him itchy so I have to take out that kibble. And wet food gives him the runs he has a really sensitive stomach. A good appetite though and I know for a fact he loves raw meat. My fiancee being a butcher can also hopefully help us out as well. I will talk to him about it tonight after I do some more reading. I guess my second concern would be to make sure I am measuring everything out correctly.

Coal is around 55 - 60 lbs. So 3% of his diet (active dog) would be 1.6 - 2 lbs ish worth of food per day. We typically feed him and our pug once a day otherwise they don't eat as much. Loki gets fed twice a day + treats. Loki also seems to have a pretty sensitive tummy he has gotten diarrhea from eating a breadstick he wasn't supposed to get and a few pieces of cooked steak he snatched from the plate while my mom wasn't looking.

I worry a lot about my animals diets. Mainly because we have had a lot of food related issues with dogs and cats in the past. 3 events which have permanently made me a HUGE worry wort and I mean stressy big time!

We adopted a cat at 10 weeks old, she was a snowshoe siamese. My heart cat. She was always portly and healthy until one month she stopped eating and we had to rush her to the vet. 3 months, $2,000, and tons and tons of vet visits our kitty passed away from Hypatic lipidosis or fatty liver disease. She wouldn't continue eating on her own and her liver poisoned its self. She died at only 3 years old. It crushed me and now I make sure ALL my cats are eating. They are all meal fed and constantly monitored where as I used to free feed my cats.

Another issue came when we rescued/adopted a boston terrier from a family member who was cruelly treating him. She passed away and left him shivering in a dirty back room. He was emaciated, had nasty eyes and almost had to have an eye removed. We had him only a year, constant vet visits but he never gained weight. One morning we found he had passed away and a necropsy revealed he had malabsorbtion issues caused by poor breeding so he wasn't digesting his food completely and his liver and kidneys were very bad. And he was only 4!

And the other issue was a little pug/boston terrier. We got her from a person claiming his female dog was accidently knocked up by a male pug. Whom we later found out he owned. We got this puppy at 8 weeks and we had her for 2 months. She was a hilarious little puppy, very active, always ate like a cow. And one morning I found her dead in her crate. A necropsy revealed she had an underformed lower intestine, blood in her colon, and her body had digested all the fat in her body (even though she never looked thin!) and killed her. It was completely horrible.

So I am extremely vigilant about the dogs getting enough food, making sure all poop and pees are normal, and I tend to freak out if a dog or cat isn't eating for some reason. I've tamed a bit over the years but I still get worried especially with a new thing like Raw feeding!

Sorry if this was a mini- book I just wanted to share my issues in hope that I can better my attitude towards trying new things which I really love trying new things! I just get really concerned that I might screw up and somehow it will hurt my pets! If that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 6:36 pm

Feeding a raw diet is amazing. When I cut a tendon in my finger (and thus couldn't feed raw for about 2 MONTHS) I felt terrible! I mean, it's not like they were eating Pedigree... but I could tell they weren't excited to eat the kibble at all. Their teeth got yellow and Mishka started to chew her belly and private area like mad resulting in temporary staining. They thrive on raw very well and I can truly say it's the BEST out there. Generally I do stick to chicken and pork but i throw in beef, goat, and fish when I can or when it's on sale.

This is truly something you really need to look into before starting. As well as get a feel for your meat prices as well as a price range you want.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Lokipaws
Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Thank you for your advice Kristina Smile your dogs are gorgeous by the way! I am definitely researching a lot of links provided. Are there any books or other suggestions besides reading online? I've also looked into joining the yahoo group about raw feeding as well ^_^ definitely something I want to get as much information on before jumping into it. My fiancee is home at 3 pm (its 2:43pm here) and I am pumped up to see what he thinks! My pugs teeth and my labs skin and coat would definitely benefit from it! And from what I have read so far it looks fairly straight forward and I actually have room in my house to get a big freezer to house food in. It would be awesome for us to use as well! Just gotta price them out but I found a decent one for under 100 dollars. Just gotta figure out what we would be saving/spending vs the dry kibble. That will be the biggest thing besides figuring out the amounts to feed everyone.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:18 pm

There are definitely some great books on raw feeding out there, I can't remember the good titles off the top of my head. I'll see if I can find some for you later.

We definitely understand your concerns and you're very right to have them. Raw feeding not done properly can result in severe malnourishment and even death. I'm not saying this to scare you, I just want to be sure that not just you but anyone thinking about feeding raw doesn't do it halfway. If you cannot do it right then you're better off sticking with a "complete" prepared food. People have lost whole kennels from not feeding a balanced raw diet so it's not something to take lightly and I know you're completely committed to finding out all you know. I just want to prevent a random person reading about raw feeding, not doing the appropriate self education and then ultimately causing their dog undue suffering and possibly leading to its demise from not taking the time to learn how to do it right. Wink

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 8:40 pm

Here's a good starter book:
“Work Wonders: Feed your dog raw meaty bones” by Tom Lonsdale

There are a lot of books out there with more of a focus on BARF but not quite so many focusing on PMR which is more biologically appropriate. Tom Lonsdale advocates feeding whole carcasses which is more in line with PMR.

Puppy
Puppy
Lokipaws

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Thank you so much! I am also heading down to the local library so I will see what they have down there as well! Very Happy And yes definitely I agree its not something just to do on a whim it definitely takes a ton of education and commitment and research to make sure its done properly! I am a big research guru, I read a ton and try to learn about every possible thing that could go wrong before even fathoming trying something so big. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Luk Luk's Mom
Newborn
Newborn
Luk Luk's Mom

Female Join date : 2011-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm wanting to change Luk Luk over to a raw diet. We used to give him what we called "Fishsicles" as a treat when he was a puppy - (frozen salmon pieces) and he LOVED them.
I know there's a lot to read up on and want to make sure I'm going to be doing it the right way.
Thanks for this post!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Who knew that 2.5 months after reading this post I would be starting Ginger on raw chicken!
Val, Thanks for posting this and guiding me through my start on raw with Ginger!

Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 11:49 am

I'm glad I could share it with you folks and help others. It is what got me to finally take the plunge myself and was shared by none other than my own raw feeding mentor who continues to guide me to this day. Smile

Newborn
Newborn
Luk Luk's Mom

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 12:39 pm

Here's another question that I hope someone on here can help me with.
I was thinking of starting Luk Luk on raw fish to begin with, because I KNOW he'll eat that. I read that to start them out, you need to introduce just one protein at a time, with the initial protein being 1 - 2 weeks.
My question is this - what fish would you recommend if they are to have bone included in the raw diet? Or do I wait after the two weeks and introduce bone in chicken to him?
I definitely want to do this RIGHT!
He did eat raw egg (shell and all) with some cheddar cheese this morning and LOVED it!
Thanks for all your help - it's much appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Was the raw egg he ate this morning his first? If so, watch out for stomach upset. The raw egg is great for him but it can often result in diarrhea in dogs who are not used to it, that does not necessarily mean that raw eggs don't agree with him.

You can start with raw fish if you want but be aware that if you are feeding whole fish that your dog will be getting more than just muscle meat, it'll be getting the whole animal. Typically something like chicken is recommended because you can start out with just muscle meat and bone, and organs are introduced later as they are richer and more likely to cause stomach upset than muscle meat. But you can start out with fish if you prefer, just be sure to pick one and stick with it. I think most fish will be fine, just be mindful of where your fish is sourced as mercury is often something of concern depending on where the fish comes from and how much is ingested. A little bit of mercury content in fish is one thing but then feed that for weeks or months and the levels could build up to unhealthy levels over time. Not saying that to scare you, just be aware is all. Definitely have bone included to start out, the bone will help keep the stools firm.

And of course pay attention to stool, if the stool is too soft then increase the bone, if it's too hard and the dog is having trouble defecating then decrease the bone. Initially you might have stomach upset regardless of bone content, which should go away as the dog gets accustomed to the new food.

Janelle, I would encourage you to start your own raw feeding thread like Claudia did for her Ginger for more personalized help and so we can follow Luk Luk's progress.

Newborn
Newborn
Luk Luk's Mom

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyTue Mar 15, 2011 2:42 pm

thanks Val!
No, he's had a raw egg before, but it's been awhile. I'll take your advice too, and start him with chicken instead of fish - I KNOW he'll eat that raw any time, so that will be something easy to add in later.
Think I'll run by the store this afternoon and pick up some chicken breasts or quarters and start him on that and see how he does.
Now I'll go start another thread and let y'all know how he's progressing.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 pm

Here is another really good starting out guide for transitioning to raw...

I also edited the original post to include this link as well. Smile

Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 4:37 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Here is another really good starting out guide for transitioning to raw...

I also edited the original post to include this link as well. Smile

That article is awesome! I gave Mya a little bit of Kody's ground beef yesterday with her kibble and she threw it up. Oops, after reading this I see why now..lol.

I want to start giving Mya raw chicken so that she can get the benefit of the bones cleaning her teeth. I've noticed that she has some tartar starting to build up (not good!). My question is...if, lets say, i feed her chicken today is it ok to feed her kibble tomorrow? Or is that a no no?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Considering a raw diet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next