It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The "Poo, scratch, strut"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

The "Poo, scratch, strut" Empty
PostSubject: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:06 pm

Ha ha, I don't know what else to call it but I think this topic name works. LOL

So I've never had a dog that did this...until now. Journey JUST started doing it. If you have a dog that does it you know what I am talking about.

First they poop.

Then they scratch at the ground with their feet.

Then they strut away, proudly.

LOL. I was wondering if anyone else has a dog that does this? I am also wondering what kind of root this behavior has. I would think that it would be them trying to bury their feces under leaves and dirt but Journey doesn't do it in such a way that would direct any loose material in that direction. It almost seems like she is "bragging" about her poop.

lol! 

Just a funny topic to discuss, was curious what everyone else thought (or experienced). I think the first time I noticed it was when she pooped in the house.... *sigh*. I heard her scratching at the carpet and I looked up to see she had just pooped on the carpet (only 15 minutes after pooping outside mind you! Ha ha...).
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:09 pm

Siku digs before peeing on a spot, and Nikolai does what Journey does. Except her's sounds a little more graceful. Nikolai makes it look like he has some weird nervous leg twitch and kicks full force behind him and then kind of puffs himself a little bit and then looks at me like, I did it right, right? Its so funny. If it wasn't the act of pooping before, I would have it on video because its hilarious.

I have no idea the route of behavior, but its got to be something weird in huskies, because both of mine just have the weirdest most annoying bathroom habits.
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:12 pm

siku&nikolai wrote:
Its so funny. If it wasn't the act of pooping before, I would have it on video because its hilarious.

Ha ha, I thought the same thing! I think my neighbors would think I was crazy if I started filming my dogs pooping to catch the "poo, scratch strut". LOL... as if they don't already think I am crazy because I live alone and talk to my dogs more than humans.. Shocked 
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:16 pm

I've noticed that behavior a lot in little dogs, not as much in medium to large breeds.
Back to top Go down
Ericobeasto
Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:29 pm

Koda does this sometimes not always. I would say maybe once or twice a week lol.
Back to top Go down
Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:35 pm

O.k., this was something I read along time ago and have no idea if it's factual or not. It was said that it is a "communication" thing and happens mostly with northern breed dogs, it's suppose to help another dog find the spot the first dog has used so they can "read the pee-mail", or other as it may be. Coincidentally the only two dogs I have had that exhibited this behavior were part husky and husky, go figure.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 1:38 pm

Sierra does this weither she pees or poos, its funny to watch, jack is a poo walker never one turd in a spot. It does help figuring out who may be sick based on the piles!

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 5:18 pm

Yep we have that too. It's not all the time, but Demon will poo, then stretch, maybe scratch and then prance or run around like 'yippee! I'm 5lbs lighter!'. Demon and Dakota are both poo walkers too...  lol!
Back to top Go down
Smokey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 5:34 pm

That's hilarious! My two do this!

I think it's a marking thing. They have glands at the bottom of their paws that leave 'scent marks'...

I may have completely pulled that out of my butt...?

But I love this thread! haha!
Back to top Go down
Super Nova
Teenager
Teenager
Super Nova

Male Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 7:07 pm

I call it "The Bull Dance"!
Nova does this too. But he prefers to poop in bushes and watch me try to pick it up...
Back to top Go down
tdmoore44
Newborn
Newborn
tdmoore44

Male Join date : 2014-01-15

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Deacon does this as well, and it makes me laugh every time. The only other time I have seen this done is when other huskies do it at the dog park.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 9:16 pm

Orion does this too lol but never at home. He only ever does it when he is somewhere other dogs are, like at training or at the dog park. He doesn't do the strut either, he scratches the ground then takes off at full speed with this crazy mwahahaha look on his face and his ears pinned back like he has just executed some evil master plan Razz
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Smokey wrote:
That's hilarious! My two do this!

I think it's a marking thing. They have glands at the bottom of their paws that leave 'scent marks'...

I may have completely pulled that out of my butt...?

But I love this thread! haha!

Hit the nail on the head! They do it to further mark where they've already marked. If you go to a dog park, you'll notice that dogs do this more often when they're marking over a spot another dog has already peed on and they do it to reinforce their scent. Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 9:59 pm

Diz does more of a pee/poo, scratch, zoomies/wooing/play bite mom, routine. GOOFBALL!
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 12:06 pm

Ha ha ha, Jen! Smile Journey does the play bite in the morning when she wants me out of bed. If I hide my hands under my pillow she starts scratching at my hands and wooing. LOL

Isn't it funny how each of our dogs has a different "poo" habit? LOL. Shaqua does NOT like to do her business on the leash. She will hold it rather than go while on a short walk. She has finally caved in these last few weeks but she looks so embarassed... Ha ha. I praise her excessively but she is set in her way sI suppose.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Mishka will do this at times too. Though he more like gets the zoomies after he poops than anything. He will also do this when he pees on our walks. He will pee on something, scratch, then try to take off full force.

RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Nala doesnt really do this at home and she is too much of a lady to poo on walks BUT if we are at the dog park she will poo and kind of kick and scratch at it and then prance away its quite humorous hehe!
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 12:51 pm

simplify wrote:
Mishka will do this at times too. Though he more like gets the zoomies after he poops than anything. He will also do this when he pees on our walks. He will pee on something, scratch, then try to take off full force.

Yep, Diz too. Does Mishka also do pre-poo zoomies? Sometimes I get:

zoomie->poo->zoomie->more poo->zoomie
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:21 pm

My dad's weimaraner will do this on occasion. Kenzi will too out of territorial practices. If another dog walks up to her fence she will race over and pee or poo a line along the fence where the dog was/is then scratch so that the gravel or grass hits the encroaching animal. She does the same thing at the training facility on the concrete floor if allowed to go around the dogs outside her pen.

PostSubject: Re: The "Poo, scratch, strut"   The "Poo, scratch, strut" Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Poo, scratch, strut"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1