It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Need help! Potty training adult husky

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
katethemusical
Newborn
Newborn
katethemusical

Female Join date : 2014-03-04

Need help! Potty training adult husky Empty
PostSubject: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 11:08 pm

Hey there experienced husky owners. I'm hoping maybe someone can help us with our problems.

Recently, we've come to own a beautiful black and white husky named Dexter. He's about one year old, and was previously owned by my sister in law, who wasn't too experienced with huskies or dogs in general and kept him mostly chained up inside the house. He wasn't walked much, and eventually became destructive (naturally) so, when she said she was fed up, we made the decision to take him in ourselves, knowing full well the training he would need.

Even though we live in an apartment in NYC, we have a lot of previous experience with dogs (we have one other dog, a four year old Shikoku, who loves Dexter) and we have the time and space to provide for him. We have invested in a doggy backpack which we fill up with water, and since we're joggers we take him running with us, which he loves in the cold weather.

However, our biggest hurdle is the potty training. It's like he never learned and has no concept of where or when it is appropriate to go to the bathroom. We will take him out for a few hours, and even on our calmer walks, he will not pee or poo outside. He just won't. He gets easily distracted by everything and just seems to forget to go, no matter how long we wait with him. He waits until he comes back inside, and promptly goes in our kitchen. When we scold him, he seems to have no remorse or understanding that he has done something bad. His attitude is happy and carefree, 100% of the time, so right after we scold him for going in the kitchen he goes right back to being his jolly carefree self, and goes in the kitchen again later. We look for all the signs, walk him constantly, and still it doesn't get better. We will literally take him out for an hour long walk, and the minute he gets back, he poos in the kitchen.

I feel like I'm taking care of a 50-lb, clueless puppy. Someone please help! I know potty training an adult must be similar to potty training a puppy, but he has literally no concept and it doesn't seem to get better no matter what we do. Any advice would be great— thank you so much!!
Back to top Go down
Smokey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 am

Set him up for success by making a tight schedule for him. Feed him at the same time every day. Take him out as much as possible. Use a command when you see him squat outside for poo or pee and reward once he is finished.

When I was training my little one, I took her out once every half hour even at night. Then after a few days every hour. Then every two hours...

Do you crate train? Most dogs are naturally inclined to keep their space clean. When you can't take him out, crate him. If he still 'goes' in his crate, immediately clean it. Don't let him get used to lying around in his own muck.

From what I've read, scolding a pup for an accident doesn't always work because like you said they forget and go back to their usual self. If you catch your pup in the act, remove him and take him outside immediately.

This might sound unconditional but most dogs like to 'go' around the same area they've previously gone in so if you have a yard, don't pick up some of the poo. Also, in the area he 'goes' in inside your home, clean thoroughly so he doesn't smell it and feel the urge to use that spot again...
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:13 am

Hi fellow ny'er! Not many of us on the forum, but I've seen a lot of huskies in my neighborhood and my bud has quite a few husky friends.

A couple things that will probably help you, number 1, crate train, number 2, keep him on a leash inside until the accidents stop, I would also recommend finding a way to block him from entering the kitchen if possible.

Secondly, he may have issues going potty on the leash. I've met a couple owners of rescues that are afraid to go in front of people, or just generally don't want to go when on the leash. It may be that because he was not walked, he doesn't understand that going potty on the walk is okay.

Is there a dog run near you? You may try taking him there really early in the morning, to see if he will go off leash. Take some awesome treats and if he goes praise like crazy, play and give tons of treats. Since so many dogs pee and poop in those dog parks, it's pretty irresistible.

Also, until he's getting the idea, I would suggest a belly band. Basically it wraps around his belly and will keep him from peeing. Have him wear it until you go out and then remove it.

I think the most important thing though is not to let him out of your sight period for now, unless he's in a crate.

Are you in Manhattan?
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:17 am

Also, do you have a car? There is an awesome training facility in White Plains that I highly recommend, Port Chester Obedience Training Club. There prices are somewhat reasonable as well. They just started a new cycle of classes, so you may be able still get Dexter in on one of the beginner classes.
Back to top Go down
katethemusical
Newborn
Newborn
katethemusical

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 am

I think the most important thing though is not to let him out of your sight period for now, unless he's in a crate.

Are you in Manhattan?[/quote]

No, we don't have a crate for him. And we're in Queens! Smile I have seen huskies in Manhattan though.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Are you against crate training?
Back to top Go down
katethemusical
Newborn
Newborn
katethemusical

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:07 pm

I'm totally not against it, I think it's a good idea. I don't happen to have a crate for him yet, as I know I will need a big size. I'm not sure how he will feel about it though, seeing as he has never been in a crate in his life (previous owner never tried.)

Another dilemma is that we have our little four-year-old shikoku, Mika. We tried to crate train her years ago and it went horribly—she has claustrophobia or something and won't go in one, no matter what. (She has a lot of issues... but she's super good inside the house, so we've never needed to put her in a crate.) I'm worried that if Dexter is in a crate during the day and Mika is out, he will get jealous or cry, like when only one of them goes on a walk and the other gets upset. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
katethemusical
Newborn
Newborn
katethemusical

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:12 pm

Update: today we have spent all day at home taking him out. The third time, he went on a four mile run with a weighted backpack and is now happily tired out. But he still hasn't gone to the bathroom. We are waiting until he does go outside and then we will reward him... I do think he thinks that he will be scolded just for going to the bathroom! Poor thing. :c
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:16 pm

Well I'm sure he'll cry/howl as he's getting used to it, but if you check out some of the threads on crate training there are ways to ease them into it and help them feel like its a safe and comfortable den-like space. A lot of folks on here have one dog they can trust out, and one that needs to be crated, and most say the crated dog is fine when the other is left out. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, he will cry the first time he's in there, and as he's adjusting. You just have to be strong and realize that you are creating a safe space for him. I'm guessing if he was destructive with his previous owners, eventually he will become that way with you at some point, at the very least it's just a good thing to train because you never know when you might need him to be comfortable in the crate.

The update you just posted would be an example of how crate training could help. You could put him in the crate and in 20-30 min take him back out and try again. If a no-go, then back in the crate for another 20-30 and then try again. Most dogs will not mess on themselves so a crate is a very handy tool in potty training.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 3:28 pm

katethemusical wrote:
I'm totally not against it, I think it's a good idea. I don't happen to have a crate for him yet, as I know I will need a big size. I'm not sure how he will feel about it though, seeing as he has never been in a crate in his life (previous owner never tried)

This is the key: you control how he will feel about it, not him. If you associate it with good things and calm energy and peaceful vibes and lots of crate-only treats (like cheese or peanut butter in a kong) then you will create a feeling for him about it.

You can set the pace and the tone here. You're in control.

Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Smokey
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Remember, the most important time a dog needs to be let out to relieve itself is after a nap, after play, and after eating...hope this helps a bit more...
Back to top Go down
katethemusical
Newborn
Newborn
katethemusical

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 pm

This is all so helpful! Thank you everyone!

I will look into investing in a crate and make it as positive a place as possible. In the meantime, I am still waiting for him to pee outside (tricky with all the NYC distractions) whereupon I will shower him with chicken treats and affection, haha...
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Right before you bring the crate home when/if you get one, check in with us. It can be very easy to get off on the wrong foot with it.

Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help! Potty training adult husky   Need help! Potty training adult husky Empty

Back to top Go down

Need help! Potty training adult husky

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1