It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Considering a raw diet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 8:36 pm

I think there is a thread on here somewhere about sardines. Maybe do a search for it.

I don't feed any fish because my sibe cannot tolerate fish.

Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

Male Join date : 2012-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 5:38 pm

I'm thinking about getting into feeding raw with Bella but I'm having a bit of trouble understanding some things.
I keep seeing bone in products are best and get cuts of meat with the bone but very little about what those cuts actually are. I know I could probably pester a butcher once I find out in my area but I was wondering what people usually get that isn't chicken?
Also, about how much bone would an egg shell replace. I fed one to Bella this morning and after she realized it was food and not a toy she ate about half the shell and all of the egg. I go through a lot of eggs in my household and if I could get away with crushing up the shell for an alternate source of calcium when there's a good sale on some boneless stuff I'd like to do that.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 5:53 pm

I couldn't tell you how many egg shells to use, but again it's not an exact science and each individual dog will vary in their dietary needs.

As for non-chicken cuts of meat, again it's not an exact science. Variety is the spice of life, I'll buy anything I can for cheap so there is quite a variety in my freezer. I don't buy bone-in beef, it's too expensive for me to get. I do feed pork ribs as well as bone-in poultry backs, breasts, necks, and wings. Others feed stuff like heads, legs and feet, that's just too much for me to handle. Throwing in a whole prey animal like rabbits, hens, quail, goats, deer, etc is great too but again I can't stomach going that far. I'm far too squeamish to get that serious about raw feeding.

Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 6:01 pm

Are pork chops good to use? They had a good deal and before I read about chicken first I got a package so I could test the waters so to speak. The bone is a wierd shape and i read somewhere that's not a good thing. Should I not use them?
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 6:18 pm

I asked the same question about chops. I didn't use the bone. Seems too sharp, and a weird shape
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 pm

You can feed pork - but if your dog doesn't have an iron stomach it may cause upset. IMO, you should freeze the pork for at least 7 - 10 days before feeding it. I'm cautious with pork...so I always freeze to kill anything of. That goes for anything I buy at a grocery store.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
uelrindru
Puppy
Puppy
uelrindru

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 6:44 pm

It is currently marinating in the extreme cold of my freezer and yeah, Bella does not have an iron stomache, if she even thinks about getting her hands on human food she gets the runs. I'm wondering if feeding with a little bit of pumpkin when you start them on the diet would be a good idea. I am a huge fan of it and Bella spit polishes her bowl whenever I give it to her.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2012 7:14 am

My sibe is on the sensitive side when it comes to food but he handles pork just fine, and has anything but an iron stomach. Wink

As for pork chops with bone, some people feed them and others don't because of the sharp tip. I am one of the better safe than sorry crowd and don't feed the bone in pork chops. I'd rather just cut the meat out and have peace of mind.

Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

Male Join date : 2012-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 am

My question is about ground beef and cut up chicken with my puppies kibble. I doubt I could go full raw at this point but I would like to possibly do so in the future when I've found reliable places to get all the required meaty bones and organs in my area. Sorry if I'm re-asking a question. Came into this thread late.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 10:21 am

SkylerWest wrote:
My question is about ground beef and cut up chicken with my puppies kibble. I doubt I could go full raw at this point but I would like to possibly do so in the future when I've found reliable places to get all the required meaty bones and organs in my area. Sorry if I'm re-asking a question. Came into this thread late.

I didn't see a question there.

Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Sorry was writting this on my way out the door this morning. Is it okay if I mix those in with his puppy food?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm

SkylerWest wrote:
Sorry was writting this on my way out the door this morning. Is it okay if I mix those in with his puppy food?

A lot of people will tell you not to mix raw and kibble because they digest at different rates and I think in general it's good advice to follow if you do it often. However I have mixed the two on occasion and have never had a problem doing so. You can always give it a try and see how your dog does.

Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Similar here. Callie's the only dog in my house raw feed and she still occasionally steals the others' kibble. It hasn't caused upset but then again, it's not like she's eating that much of it and it's also at a separate time.

As long as you don't feed a full serving of kibble and then some raw as well. You still want the total intake to be about the same. So if he's eating say 4 cups total a day, and you want to feed half raw, he should only get about 2 cups of dry food a day.
Back to top Go down
SkylerWest
Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 pm

calliegirl08 wrote:
Similar here. Callie's the only dog in my house raw feed and she still occasionally steals the others' kibble. It hasn't caused upset but then again, it's not like she's eating that much of it and it's also at a separate time.

As long as you don't feed a full serving of kibble and then some raw as well. You still want the total intake to be about the same. So if he's eating say 4 cups total a day, and you want to feed half raw, he should only get about 2 cups of dry food a day.

Thank you both for the info. I was worried at first about feeding a puppy raw meat but after a lot of research I am willing to give it a try. Not complete raw mind you, maybe grounded beef for breakfast and kibble the rest of the day.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:27 pm

SkylerWest wrote:
Thank you both for the info. I was worried at first about feeding a puppy raw meat but after a lot of research I am willing to give it a try. Not complete raw mind you, maybe grounded beef for breakfast and kibble the rest of the day.

That's sounds fine, but if you plan to do that regularly you'll probably want to use more than just beef. I think you mentioned chicken also. I like to throw in some ground turkey and pork as well.

Teenager
Teenager
SkylerWest

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I'll make sure to do that. I'm planning on using blue wilderness for him along side the various kinds of meat.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyWed Dec 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Sounds good to me, any raw is better than none at all so even a bit of supplementing a kibble diet is way better than kibble alone. Wink

Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

Female Join date : 2012-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 pm

How old should a pup be before you start a raw diet with them? It's something we'd be considering in the future but need to do bit more research first, my baby's only 14 weeks old so figured I've got some time to decided, great post btw very informative, still digesting all the info
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:10 pm

You can start from day one Smile Nikko was 7 weeks when I got him and started him raw right away
Back to top Go down
inklie@hotmail.com
Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Oh I didn't know that, just apprehensive about the bones really, I'm going to have an in depth read up and make sure I understand it fully before going ahead.
Thank you for getting back to me, much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 pm

inklie@hotmail.com wrote:
Oh I didn't know that, just apprehensive about the bones really, I'm going to have an in depth read up and make sure I understand it fully before going ahead.
Thank you for getting back to me, much appreciated!

Start with chicken thighs then, small bones, easy for puppy teeth.
Back to top Go down
inklie@hotmail.com
Newborn
Newborn
inklie@hotmail.com

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 10:38 pm

I will do that! There just seems so many benefits to the raw diet, from what I'm reading, looking forward to getting her started! Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
princessmals
Newborn
Newborn
princessmals

Female Join date : 2013-01-15

PostSubject: new to raw...   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:20 am

Hi guys,

I'm from QLD in Australia and have a Husky x Malamute 20 month on and an American Bulldog x Bull Arab 20 month old. The husky (Storm) has always been a picky eater (she's my 3rd!) and we've decided to switch her to a raw diet as this seems to be the only thing she'll eat! The bulldog (Rock) is happy to eat rice, chicken mince & vegies for breakfast and dry food (Black Hawk - it's an Australian brand very similar to Artemis which is what they grew up on).

I've seen the posts about how much to feed, organs etc and I have a few questions.

Firstly, do you feed once or twice a day? She's fed twice a day currently as Rock tends to guzzle his food so it's better for him to be fed twice a day. For the last week we've been giving her 3 chicken wings for breakfast and 2 at night with a spoon of canned food (don't worry it's good stuff not crap... I'm super picky about what they eat!).

Can you give them drum sticks or are thighs/wings/necks and frames best?
In terms of red meat, can you give them mince with a couple bones and organs etc?

Just trying to work out the best way to do this and the most cost effective. We'll probably be keeping Rock on his dry feed at least once a day as he'll eat anything and we know it's got the nutrients he needs as a big dog (he's 45kgs/100lbs currently and expected to grow still)

I just want to make sure that we do the right thing by Storm in terms of getting enough to eat, getting a balanced meal i.e. does she need vegies or supplements? and so forth.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 9:30 am

princessmals wrote:
Firstly, do you feed once or twice a day? She's fed twice a day currently as Rock tends to guzzle his food so it's better for him to be fed twice a day. For the last week we've been giving her 3 chicken wings for breakfast and 2 at night with a spoon of canned food (don't worry it's good stuff not crap... I'm super picky about what they eat!).

Whether you feed once or twice a day is entirely up to you and your dogs. I feed one main meal a day but I give treats in the morning, afternoon and just before bed otherwise mine have a tendency to throw up if they have an empty stomach.

princessmals wrote:

Any and all of the above are good. A good variety is always advised and how well your dog does on different parts will vary from dog to dog. And by that I mostly mean how well your dog does with the meat to bone ratio which is something you'll figure out as you go. I personally feed very little wing and feed mostly quarters (the thigh and drumstick), split bone-in breast, and backs. Wings and necks I only give on occasion, necks more than wings.

princessmals wrote:
In terms of red meat, can you give them mince with a couple bones and organs etc?

Absolutely.

princessmals wrote:
I just want to make sure that we do the right thing by Storm in terms of getting enough to eat, getting a balanced meal i.e. does she need vegies or supplements? and so forth.

Veggies are not necessary in a PMR diet. They are necessary in a BARF diet so know the difference. I am assuming you intend to follow a PMR diet since that is the most biologically appropriate.

Supplements are also not necessary but many of us do choose to supplement for own reasons.

My holistic vet recommends a general supplement on any diet be it raw, homecooked, kibble, or wet and I have always listened to her advice so I do (I alternate between using Nupro Silver and Wholistic Canine Complete). In addition to a general supplement, I also supplement my dogs with coconut oil for their skin and coat, as well as glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm for their joint health since mine are seniors. These are all just what I personally chose to do for my pets and none of them are absolutely necessary.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:57 pm

I feed once a day - and its a large meal. Then, they get treats and bones (rib bones, specifically) through out the day.

I can't feed chicken, so I have to utilize other options for my two. I feed turkey necks, ground whole turkey, duck carcass, whole fish, beef ribs, and other ground bone/meats.

Of course you can! I don't even feed bone every day, mine don't really need it, so I will occasionally just give them a muscle meat meal, as its the most important for them to have anyway.

Just trying to work out the best way to do this and the most cost effective. We'll probably be keeping Rock on his dry feed at least once a day as he'll eat anything and we know it's got the nutrients he needs as a big dog (he's 45kgs/100lbs currently and expected to grow still)

Raw has plenty of nutrients and has been great for large dogs. I know many shepherds and danes on raw. I know there are people who feed raw in your area, so start looking for butchers and feed anything you can get your hand on. Even paying 1.00/lb for meat is better than 2.50/lb for kibble (sorry, I have good prices here so 1.00 is high for me).

I suggest checking out meat packing companies.

As Val said, a lot of us choose to use supplements. My reasoning is this: Meat our ogs eat now, is not the meat their ancestors at in the wild. It can be filled with hormones and toxins, simply because the environment has changed. I try to combat it with supplements. I feed:

Salmon Oil - 1000mg Daily
Vitamin E - 400 I.U. Every other day
Coconut Oil - For my male, to maintain weight - 1 tablespoon a day Female - about 1 tsp.

For Joints and Pain (my female has sever slipped disk issues)

MSM - I use the powder, 1/8 tsp a day, its very potent. (Will check mg later)
Glucosamine HCL - 1000 mg/day
Shark Cartilage - I'll have to post mg later
Boswellia - a tablet of nature's way brand a day for maintenance and up to 3x a day for pain. Boswellia is a natural anti inflammatory and pain reliever, much easier on the body then conventional meds.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering a raw diet?   Considering a raw diet? - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Considering a raw diet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next