It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

new husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

Female Join date : 2014-03-23

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 5:30 am

Hello everyone,My name is Eli and I am a new husky owner.Should say not just new husky owner ..I am a first time dog owner haha. Everyone was telling me not to take a husky as a first time dog but me and my boyfriend just couldnt help it , so we got ourselves into a wonderful adventure on 19th of October 2013-The day when we brought our Star home. Have to say our 3 cats were not so pleased about it(and still r not) and since then we learned many new things together. I can proudly say Star finished Puppy Class;since us the first time dog-husky owners knew from the start we need professional help, otherwise she would rule us all Wink .I am happy that she is growing into this beautiful good behaved little lady (well most of the time) and needless to say that we r crazy in love with her. I am very happy to find this forum since I have many  questions and can use all the advice I can get. Smile
new husky owner Img_7911
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 11:33 am

I really like your picture of her. Beautiful dog. And this is fantastic place to get info and suggestions. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 11:47 am

Thank you. Your dogs r stunning too. baby Simon reminds me of Star when she was a baby.  I love you 
new husky owner SJjlxnjnew husky owner SJjlp1
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 12:43 pm

Welcome! We brought our first dog together (and first Sibe) home Oct. 16, 2013, so we're just about on track with you. Smile We couldn't be happier with our decision and it's led us to develop a whole new passion for the sport of dogsledding.

Star is so cute. We're looking to get a red husky for our second. So beautiful! Smile
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 pm

haha another bold couple .funny there is another story so similar to ours out there; and u know one of my fav names for a female puppy was Layla  but she became Star at the end -and can say suits her well. Thank you for the compliments,think Layla is gorgeous too -but then agan I am biased when it comes to huskies-they all look pretty amazing to me and every one of them is special .If it d b possible think I d like to have one in every colour .Very Happy
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 3:35 pm

I'd love to have a "Husky rainbow," too, haha. We eventually want three: a black and white, red and white and a gray and white.

Thanks for the compliments about Layla. Star is a nice name too! Smile
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 3:40 pm

Welcome! Star is gorgeous.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Thank you so r your 3. I am very jealous. Wink

Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 pm

capellalayla wrote:
I'd love to have a "Husky rainbow," too, haha. We eventually want three: a black and white, red and white and a gray and white.

haha a ''Husky rainbow'' now that is a perfect expression for heaven Smile)

Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Aww! Welcome! She is gorgeous and I'm glad you are getting help training her being a first time dog owner. Smile Beware, they are quite addictive! Ha ha. Smile
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 5:24 pm

Wonderstar wrote:

capellalayla wrote:

haha a ''Husky rainbow'' now that is a perfect expression for heaven Smile)

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 7:25 pm

There were some pretty husky teams in the 2014 iditarod. I may have oggeld those dogs a bit. But I can't imagine having 16+ dogs to come home to.. Talk about a husky rainbow.

But Eli I think one husky is a good starting point some people have like 6 or 7 on here and I just don't know how they find the time or energy.
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptySun Mar 23, 2014 7:26 pm

Wonderstar wrote:
Thank you. Your dogs r stunning too. baby Simon reminds me of Star when she was a baby.  I love you 

I hope Simon grows up to look that gorgeous. Right now he is just the "you can't be mad I am a cute puppy" look going on.
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 12:59 am

Wonderstar wrote:
Thank you so r your 3. I am very jealous. Wink

Thank you!  Smile
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 5:00 am

CavingSiberian wrote:
Aww! Welcome! She is gorgeous and I'm glad you are getting help training her being a first time dog owner. Smile Beware, they are quite addictive! Ha ha. Smile

Thank you. and About your advice ...its allready too late-we r addicted 110% hahaha. I even started to enjoy the mountain and snow-something I refused to do for years hihi and now really looking forward to it. She has us wrapped around her little finger(paw). Very Happy 

new husky owner PkRI04Knew husky owner PkRIp1
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 am

Playing with the Big Dogs wrote:

Wonderstar wrote:

I hope Simon grows up to look that gorgeous. Right now he is just the "you can't be mad I am a cute puppy" look going on.

Smile I love you  just looking at pic of him makes me wanna hug and kiss him.hihi
know the feeling u cant be mad at  that face. even now I do my best to  keep a straight face when I am telling her off  but really just wanna laugh at all mischief she is doing. Laughing 
and about a ''husky rainbow'' well its a great idea but maybe in the future. now we r just learning all about dogs and need to concentrate on Star and our 3 poor cats. I allready have a war zone here..and a house sometimes feels like a zoo.. I d really like Star and our cats could be friends ..and after 6 months its still seems like a mission impossible..well maybe in the future..untill some kind of truce is established here no more dogs for the time being Wink.

Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:27 am

Sounds similar to what we did a few weeks ago. Just got ours on Feb 26th. Never had our own dog as a adult but been around dogs when we still lived with our parents.
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 11:48 am

hihi must say we r worse, my boyfriend and I never in our lives had a dog .we ve grown up only around cats and still have 3 cats of our own.Star is a first time dog and a husky .lol. but considering this madness think we r doing more than great.Much better than we ever expected--Star is just a wonderful dog,everyone keeps telling us that for her breed she is really good-we got lucky I think. Wink
Congrats on ur new baby -she looks gorgeous  I love you  I love you 

Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Star is very pretty. One of my cats still gives Loki the stink eye, but when he sleeps she will sniff him which is kind of funny. The other one seems to like him on her terms if he is not too pushy.
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Yeah our pup wants to play with the cats and the cats want none of that. The one cat seems to be alright with Gabby as long as its not bothering her but the other cat wants nothing to do with her.
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:18 pm

eh yours situation seem much better than mine. our house is divided in two zones. Dog zone which is daytime zone ;living room ,kitchen and hall is Stars part of the house..and then doors and on the other side is Cats zone where bathroom and bedrooms r. Cats spend most of the day slepping on the bed and Star has all the freedom she can get inside and outside till she goes to sleep..then its cats time to go out ..in the morning I collect all the cats inside before to let Star out .its crazy around here.. ;)we have 3 cats that were never used to dogs.and that lived happily like kings and queens in this house. ;)a male one -Sam was adopted as young cat and he  was abused so he allready has issues . not at all friendly around Star and wants to jump and attack her...Roxy -the lazy one was chased a few times around the house by Star so she doesnt want anything to do with her either..and Lucy well she is the best ..she tries from time to time to get close ..a few times even sniffed Star(I am always near Star)on the nose but as soon as Lucy tries to go around the house which is stars part of the house Star gets overexcited and wants to go and get her so Lucy gets all puffy and defencive and scared again so she goes back to her safe part of the house then I close the door peace is back and so it goes on..

new husky owner MZAjHfanew husky owner MZAjp1
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Adult
Adult

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:29 pm

I have a suggestion that might work for you. Something we are trying to tech our puppy is to settle down on leash. Basically if he is on leash and we are siting he needs to chill out. If you get to a point where the cats wont attack her if she isn't bugging them maybe work on this with her and have her leashed (for the cats safety) and let the cats roam and watch a movie, read a book or something. The goal being Star could learn to be calm around the cats and the cats could learn she is not a big deal. The other thing I have had some friends with cats do is get some cat friendly shelving so the Cats can walk around on the walls away from the dog and have safe dog places to go all the time.

Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:45 pm

Yes, I think the cat friendly shelving would be good. Our cats look they are playing the game where the floor is lava and can't touch the ground. They do anything they can to avoid being on the ground. Well at least the one does.
Back to top Go down
Wonderstar
Newborn
Newborn
Wonderstar

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner EmptyMon Mar 24, 2014 2:54 pm

thank you. might try ur  advice with putting Star on the leash while in the house.My only hope is Lucy-the bold one(she is the boss in this house anyway) that will even try to get close..other 2 want nothing to do with her and I dont blame them .will have to choose the right moment too-u know cats,they cant b made to do anything they dont want to hehe. not sure shelves can b placed since we have strange projected house with millions of windows and doors..but there is lots of space for a cat to hide and run around -cant b cornered easily.Star cant catch them -allready proven Wink they r too fast for her .she losses them around the living room..here r  2 fotos with Star and Roxy Wink
new husky owner 99831410

new husky owner 14700410
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new husky owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: new husky owner   new husky owner Empty

Back to top Go down

new husky owner

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next