It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Diagnosed with ZRD

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kodasmom
Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Female Join date : 2013-02-13

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 3:13 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any information on zinc supplement. My dog has been diagnosed with Zinc responsive dermatosis. The vet states his zinc levels are very low. Any information would be helpful.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Have you tried searching the forum? I know this topic has seen some discussion before, not sure if the past threads yielded helpful info.

Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 8:49 am

I have. I only found a couple with not much information. It seems like England has quite a few blogs on the topic however, not a lot here in the states. I am going to try Nutra-zinc. I will see if it works and post the results here. The vet said it could take up to 6 weeks for results.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 9:30 am

Good luck with it. And yes, please do follow up with results if you could for the benefit of others who may be dealing with this now or in the future.

Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptyWed May 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Just wanted to update anyone that may be concerned with the topic ZRD. I have used Nutrazinc from Howling Alaska 1/4 tsp in his food in the morning and 1/8 in the evening in his food in the evening for the first 6 weeks and now down to 1/8 at each feeding. I also used solid gold animal skin cream to treat the scaly patches on his ears and muzzle.

It now has been 8 weeks and the hair has grown completely back on his ears and almost completely on his muzzle.

He is a happy full haired husky again. I could not be more pleased.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptyWed May 14, 2014 8:57 pm

I am wondering if this is also a possibility for what Mishka has. I posted in another thread since this week's initial test came back positive for ringworm but then the culture did not come back positive.

I have been working with my vets to determine what it could be. I have brought up ZRD but they do not have a test for it where my vet is (only zinc toxicity). So I will start supplementing 20mg a day to see if that helps. I already give fish oil and vitamin e. And until the lab results come in to see if it might be lupus, I'm going to try some other things.
Diagnosed with ZRD 20140317

Kodasmom
Puppy
Puppy
Kodasmom

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptyThu May 15, 2014 7:14 am

Simplify, Kodabear's skin was scaly and when you rubbed the spot it flaked like a bad case of dandruff. The cream I mentioned in the above post has zinc in it and is used externally. My vet did a blood test to see where his zinc levels were. Be careful supplementing with zinc because of the toxicity. Maybe try the ointment instead. Keep me up to date, if you can, I know it is frustrating when you cannot get a diagnoses and your pup is in discomfort.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD EmptyThu May 15, 2014 8:37 am

This was the progression of what his nose looked like after the picture I posted earlier. I didn't have time yesterday to go look for them all. But as you can see his nose started to get dry and scaly. I have a feeling it may be a combination of a couple of things because of the progression.

Diagnosed with ZRD IMG_3695copy-sm_zpsf3ef74e3

The vet is the one that suggested starting him on zinc supplements. I'll talk more to them about it before. He won't let me put an ointment on his nose, which is why I was looking for oral supplements as opposed to anything topical.

Sponsored content

Diagnosed with ZRD Empty
PostSubject: Re: Diagnosed with ZRD   Diagnosed with ZRD Empty

Back to top Go down

Diagnosed with ZRD

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1