It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Help,please read

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kfyes
Newborn
Newborn

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 4:51 am

Hello guys,my dad got me a husky and he's now 7 months.I admit that i am such a bad owner because i was really unprepared about what to do like i don't know how to train him.He hasn't even learned how to sit when i tell him to sit verbally.I do spend time with him somewhat often.And usually i want to hug/cuddle him to my face.And when i do,he shows half of his teeth.But he doesn't growl.Just yesterday,i did that.And he bit my lip.I mean i was shocked and scared to know that he would do that.Shocked because i love him so much.And scared because i thought that if he continues to be aggressive i would have to put him down.I do admit that i am a bad owner.If i have knew someone that is more responsible and that is willing to adopt,then i would give him right away.But no,i don't know anyone.And i can't just leave him in a shelter.Who knows what they might do to him.I just want to ask for your help if you guys might know some training techniques to stop his aggression.Please let me save him.I love him so much.
Back to top Go down
kfyes
Newborn
Newborn

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:13 am

Also to add i'm a little broke at the moment that is why i am asking here for basic instructions.I am gonna take him to the trainer soon.Just not now.Soon though.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to find this forum. If you search and look around--especially in the box of important threads in the upper right corner--you can find a lot of basic information about the breed as well as information for new owners.

I'm sorry your dad put you in this situation and now you are attached to your dog and you have to work this out. The good news though is that it can be done. It won't be easy as Huskies are an extremely high maintenance breed and they require a very special kind of relationship and a lot of work.

As for practical advice, there's some things folks on here would need to know.

Most importantly how much exercise does he get? As in structured walks where he is engaged to you. Running around the yard or house freely is not exercise.

How much alone time does he get daily?

How much time do you spend engaged with him daily?

What methods have you used to try training him to sit, for example? Are you using treats?

How much food does he eat daily?

I get the impression that generally your dog isn't having behavioral problems so much as he.is just very unfulfilled in his needs for exercise and meaningful companionship with you.

If you are frustrated and upset and trying to bond with him through loving him this is only making the situation worse. He needs structure and boundaries and consistent leadership from you way more than he needs love and affection. With Huskies especially you absolutely have to get this order right or they will make your life hell.

Like most situations like this to turn it around for the better is going to primarily involve starting with yourself and then in turn helping your dog.

If you are honestly committed to keeping him it will require a lot of effort but it can be done.

One last question: with him biting your lip. Did he.actually bite you or did his teeth snag your lip?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
kfyes
Newborn
Newborn

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 5:46 pm

I walk him like 20 minutes to our local plaza everyday.We feed him like 2 times a day.And in the past few months i've been indoors often so i spend my time with him more often.I go out to our yard once in a while to play with him and pet him.And about the lip,umm...he quickly like scratched my lip with his teeth.It's not really a bite.But he scratched my lip.And he showed his teeth like an aggressive dog does.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Ok, well you have a very frustrated, unfulfilled Husky who has just entered his adolescence and his rowdyness and misbehavior is going to get worse quicker than it is going to get better at this rate.  

He needs way more daily exercise. This is going to be a catch-all solution to the majority of your troubles and the key to achieving your goals with him.  

You can easily double the length of time of his exercise and double the amount of times per day.  I would say a 45-60 minute walk in the morning and a 45-60 minute walk in the evening would do wonders.  Not jogging, just a deliberate walk where you are engaging his mind and his body.  Talk to him. Praise him for paying attention to you and if you can get him to look up and make eye contact with you praise him like he just saved the world and give him tasty treats.  

I would lay off the hugs and pets and affection for now.  Stay away from his face and his mouth.  Huskies, by the way, are very mouthy both physically and verbally and they play and socialize very roughly with their mouths.  You would be better off refraining from physical affection whatsoever until you can get him to a calmer, more relaxed, fulfilled state of mind and that can only be done with exercise where he is engaged and bonding with you.  

You should never try to pet him or hug him or kiss him or grab him when he is riled up, rowdy, or misbehaving.  Save this for when he is calm and quiet and peacefully laying down.  

Start here and I guarantee you things will improve.  

You both need some release from all this negative, pent up energy and some bonding time.  

Hope this helps.

Last edited by seattlesibe on Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 6:50 pm

Also, is he neutered?
Back to top Go down
kfyes
Newborn
Newborn

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Ok will try.Thanks for your concern.And no,he's no neutered.Also i have read of this leader-of-the-pack thing.Is there any do's and don'ts that you recommend that would put my position bellow him?Like i wouldn't want to think that he dominates me and get disrespectful towards me.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 8:18 pm

I don't think you need to worry about whether or not he thinks he's alpha over you or if you are higher in some hierarchy than he is.

Regardless of whether that is true or not he needs his energy drained and he needs to bond with you and he needs to be given some purpose and direction.

His energy and his need for exercise overrules anything else right now.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySat Apr 12, 2014 9:23 pm

seattlesibe wrote:
Ok, well you have a very frustrated, unfulfilled Husky who has just entered his adolescence and his rowdyness and misbehavior is going to get worse quicker than it is going to get better at this rate.  

He needs way more daily exercise. This is going to be a catch-all solution to the majority of your troubles and the key to achieving your goals with him.  

You can easily double the length of time of his exercise and double the amount of times per day.  I would say a 45-60 minute walk in the morning and a 45-60 minute walk in the evening would do wonders.  Not jogging, just a deliberate walk where you are engaging his mind and his body.  Talk to him. Praise him for paying attention to you and if you can get him to look up and make eye contact with you praise him like he just saved the world and give him tasty treats.  

I would lay off the hugs and pets and affection for now.  Stay away from his face and his mouth.  Huskies, by the way, are very mouthy both physically and verbally and they play and socialize very roughly with their mouths.  You would be better off refraining from physical affection whatsoever until you can get him to a calmer, more relaxed, fulfilled state of mind and that can only be done with exercise where he is engaged and bonding with you.  

You should never try to pet him or hug him or kiss him or grab him when he is riled up, rowdy, or misbehaving.  Save this for when he is calm and quiet and peacefully laying down.  

Start here and I guarantee you things will improve.  

You both need some release from all this negative, pent up energy and some bonding time.  

Hope this helps.

This is excellent advice - your pup needs a lot more exercise (Until tonight, I thought I had a really mellow husky, with few of the adolescent issues people talk about - yesterday he was quite sick and so has not had his usual total 5 plus miles per day. Missed 1 walk Thurs, 2 walks Friday and this morning - now that he's over his illness, he's a totally different animal - frenetic, hyper, disobedient, pulling on leash, chasing everything and anything etc - and yes mouthy - a running leap with mid-air half twist and a huge chomp on my upper arm mouthy). I had really underestimated the mellowing effect of our long walks. Also - the affection thing - huskies, at least my current boy and my long-ago girl, were really quite independent. Affection is not in their language - proximity yes, as in they will be near you, just don't mushy love them (sort of like a 15 year old boy in public with his mother Smile 

Keep your training to short, frequent intervals, lots of treats for reward. Remember that every single thing you do with him is training him, whether or not you intend it.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
kfyes
Newborn
Newborn

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 4:12 am

Ok thank you both for your concern and your time.I really appreciated it.Thanks,will try your suggestions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Help,please read Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help,please read   Help,please read Empty

Back to top Go down

Help,please read

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1