It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Food Help!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mandeymck
Newborn
Newborn

Food Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Food Help!!   Food Help!! EmptyThu Apr 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi everyone!

My husky is a little over a year and the breeder we got her from was feeding her Purina Puppy Chow (I know it's not the greatest food, but I was told not to switch her unless there was a problem.) She weighed 43 pounds in February and when she was weighed yesterday she was down to 33 pounds. She is not a big eater. She doesn't even eat 2 cups of food per day! I did give her a wet food last night which she inhaled, but not sure if this is a good route to go all the time. Any suggestions on trying new foods or what brands to try? This weight loss isn't healthy!

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Yonjuro
Teenager
Teenager
Yonjuro

Male Join date : 2013-04-08

Food Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Help!!   Food Help!! EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 12:41 am

Hiya,

Are you saying that you are still feeding the Puppy Chow at over one year in age? I, like many here feed Taste of the Wild and my boy started on the 'all life stages' version at around 12 weeks of age.
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Food Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Help!!   Food Help!! EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 pm

The nutritional needs of a puppy differs significantly from that of an adult. Keeping a dog on puppy chow for his whole life likely isn't the best thing for the pup. At the age of 1 or more, switching over to adult formula or all life stages would be fine. There are a lot of threads on here about what food people are feeding, I'm sure they'll come up if you do a search. Off the top of my head, the popular brands are:
Taste of the Wild
Earthborn Holistic
Blue Buffalo
Avoderm
The Honest Kitchen

Another resource is Dog Food Advisor. Most people here would recommend a 4 star or better food if they are in your price range.

We personally are currently using Earthborn Holistic for our pack.
Back to top Go down
Grizzly&Charcoal
Teenager
Teenager

Food Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Help!!   Food Help!! EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 10:51 pm

Orijien and Acana are the other great choices
Back to top Go down
HarmonyCiel
Newborn
Newborn
HarmonyCiel

Female Join date : 2014-04-19

Food Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Help!!   Food Help!! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 6:46 am

Hi All

I am new today just joined 5 minutes ago. I am worried about my husky Shadow she is 9 months old and is not eating at the moment. And she is all of a sudden acting a lot quieter the vet said there is nothing wrong with her though
We have tried a huge range of canned foods, biscuits of all types, fresh mince, lamb kidneys (human consumption food) as well as beef livers. I have even cooked a piece of rump steak! We thought the other day rice mixed with vegies but she didn't like that neither.
We are very worried is there any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Food Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Help!!   Food Help!! EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 8:03 am

Mandeymck wrote:
Hi everyone!

My husky is a little over a year and the breeder we got her from was feeding her Purina Puppy Chow (I know it's not the greatest food, but I was told not to switch her unless there was a problem.)  She weighed 43 pounds in February and when she was weighed yesterday she was down to 33 pounds.  She is not a big eater. She doesn't even eat 2 cups of food per day! I did give her a wet food last night which she inhaled, but not sure if this is a good route to go all the time.  Any suggestions on trying new foods or what brands to try? This weight loss isn't healthy!

Thank you!

No, that weight loss doesn't sound healthy. What does your vet say? Did she get a clean bill of health? First and foremost I would rule out any health problems.

If her health seems to check out okay, tell me how much food she eats on an average day.

Not switching food unless a problem arises is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Actually, never switching food is a sure way to cause problems down the road. Additionally being on a lower quality food will only add to those eventual problems.

I see she downed the canned food you offered which is a good sign. She's not refusing all food, just certain food. I would not start incorporating something that you don't intend to do long term to get her to eat. So unless you plan to mix canned food in all the time, I wouldn't start as a means to get her eating. I personally feed a mix of kibble and canned, but it's not an occasional thing, I feed like that all the time.

Your dog may be just completely disinterested in her food because she's bored of it. I know I get bored of eating the same food after just a few days so I would probably be downright sick of a food if I ate it exclusively for a whole year. I can't say that I would blame her for not wanting to eat.

I am a strong believer in rotation diets. They offer a number of benefits to your dog, the same way they do for people. Rotation diets offer variety and keep things interesting. This engages their senses (smell and taste) as well as fills in nutritional gaps. Contrary to what dog food manufacturers will tell you, no one food is going to be nutritionally perfectly balanced. Us humans cannot eat a multivitamin, hamburger, peas, carrots, and potato every single day of our entire existence and expect to be healthy. Our diets are varied and balance is achieved over time through eating a healthy variety of food. The same holds true for dogs. A healthy balance is achieved over time through variety which is why I am so strongly in favor of rotation diets for pets.

Rotation diets also help to prevent the development of food allergies. Think of it this way, a dog that does not normally have a sensitive stomach or that may not have food allergies can actually develop those ailments from being on one food all the time. If you only ate chicken and green beans day in and day out your body would be accustomed to that and that only that. So when you are one day fed beef and corn, after living your whole life on chicken and green beans, your body is likely to have serious reaction to the radically new food it was offered. You'd probably have a very upset stomach and possibly end up with the runs and you'd probably never want to eat beef and corn ever again. But if you'd spent all your life eating a variety of foods including not only the chicken, beef, green beans and corn but also so many other things then your stomach is already accustomed to variety and therefore less sensitive. The same applies to dogs. Also, when a dog is feed the same food all the time, let's say chicken for example, it is more likely that the dog will eventually develop an allergy to that very food in the long term. So that is just another reason rotation is good for a dog to prevent that from happening.

Rotation diets have so many benefits and I've yet to hear of a single negative to a rotation diet. I would say more but my kids just woke up and I have a crying baby so I will have to leave it at that for now. But there are plenty of good food options to consider trying. Take a look at the "What are you feeding..." sticky in this forum for lots of examples.

Food Help!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food Help!!   Food Help!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Food Help!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1