It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

UKC anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:23 am

Do any of you do UKC shows? I always used to think 'meh', since almost any dog can get a UKC CH, but then I went to one a little over a month ago. Sure, the competition wasn't that fierce, but I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly it was. I thought it was a decent venue for young/newbie dogs and owners to get in some practice (pro handlers not allowed) They were particularly kind to my young daughter showing in junior for the first time. I showed my friend's dog his first time out (and my first time in 17 years), and he almost finished that weekend (both 'competition wins' and 80 of the 100 points). It was good practice for his AKC debut this weekend.
Anyway, the reason I was asking here is because the Florida Siberian Husky Club is hosting an all breed show on July 5 in Clearwater. I was wondering if anyone is going? I'll be there with a couple of labs (I don't show my husky).
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:11 pm

I wish I could go. I show UKC and so do many friends in Michigan. I do it because they allow altered dogs.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptyMon May 05, 2014 11:31 am

I'm going to be doing my first UKC show at the end of June. I'm really excited about it, but don't have much to add other than that. I want to get my show husky some day, and I am looking forward to the ukc shows to build experience and have fun with Diz. Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptyMon May 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Are there any differences in terms of rules I need to be aware of?
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptyMon May 05, 2014 10:30 pm

Jen, they have a different point system (that I'm still trying to figure out). They need 100 points to earn a CH. They get points just for winning their class, even if they are the only one entered. They have to have at least two wins over competition, which can be just one other dog. I think they have to win best male (or best female) twice too. It's relatively much easier to win a CH title, and a halfway decent dog can finish in a weekend if there's some but not too much competition.
Oh, and they do two shows a day, so four shows in a weekend.

Pro handlers are not allowed. They discourage baiting and excessive grooming. Some judges post a sign 'no baiting'.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptyTue May 20, 2014 9:07 am

So, in terms of baiting, I really am trying to wean Diz off of using it, but at times I just need it to get his attention off the other dogs in the ring. Even if I just give him a little whiff, or nibble. I won't be doing a ton of it, but does anyone have any suggestions on ways to fade the bait? Can you use toys? Although, honestly, that might just make him too excited.
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptyTue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm

I saw someone "fake baiting" in the ring. Before going in she was baiting with him. Then she left the bait outside the ring with someone and just used her hand. It worked, I assume because her hand smelled like it. She treated him as soon as they got out. That was a lab though. A husky might be too smart to fall for it. Wink I've seen people use squeaky toys, but most other people consider it bad etiquette, especially when it distracts the other dogs.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 11:46 pm

Did you go? How'd it go? Did you talk to anyone in the sibe club? I've tried researching that club before and got no where. I'd love to know more about them and meet more breeders in FL. I've only shown in AKC and IABCA. From what I hear UKC is a little bit like both of those shows put together.

UKC anyone? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Hi! Unfortunately my pup came down with kennel cough Friday (probably from an IABCA show the weekend before), so I wasn't able to go. Sad
UKC does seem like a bit of both!! It's very relaxed like IABCA, but more competitive (though not as much as AKC, depending in breed and location). There's more UKC shows in Lakeland the last weekend of July. You should come check it out!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UKC anyone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: UKC anyone?    UKC anyone? Empty

Back to top Go down

UKC anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Community :: Show Dogs-