It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Update on Miss Sheba!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

Update on Miss Sheba!! Empty
PostSubject: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 1:58 am

So, most people know Sheba has been a royal pain in my ass since forever  Laughing Laughing . It's been a constant roller coaster with her with some pretty low lows. Recently, she had been trying to eat my foster Spoo Luna while I was away working.

WELL..

I have to give an update on my little hellion.

Since I have been back, and granted, it has only been about 3 weeks (ish?) I couldn't be happier with everything I've been seeing. This will be kind of long, so bare with me if you chose to read  Wink .

First off- Sheba's resource guarding
Luna loves toys, and I usually keep them separated when Luna gets bit by the toy bug. Recently, Luna has figured out where I keep the toys hidden in the bedroom and has slowly been dragging them out and hiding them throughout the bedroom. Sheba likes to go in the bedroom and chill by herself and do some crazy zoomies by herself. It's totally adorable, but one day I heard squeaking while she was in there. I sneaked a peak in, and she had a kong tennis ball. Now, where ever I go Luna goes (total velcro dog, and after 8 months I'm still not used to it lol) and I got SO SCARED that something was about to go down. BUT NOPE! Sheba put her butt up in the air and threw the ball in the middle of them and they played!! We also have another Kong toy (can't remember the name) that Luna drug out that Sheba is obsessed with. I heard her in the bedroom doing her usual bark/howl thing at herself, then I hear a WACK! She had thrown the toy against the wall and was playing tug with BOTH Kennedy and Luna!! She INSTIGATES play now and I LOVE IT!

Second-Sheba's "guarding" over me
This has happened with Luna, Ares, and Kennedy (Ares was my male Sibe foster before Luna), but especially Luna. For example, Sheba would be on the couch next to me, Luna comes up for pets, and Sheba lashes out and bites. Luna has some pretty bad scars from Sheba, and this was really the hardest thing for me to "fix" since it would only happen sometimes. I couldn't predict when as Sheba would only sometimes give a warning and other times she'd just go for it.

We have not had ANY instances, and trust me, I was on hiiigh alert when I came home. All the girls were super clingy (obvi) so I figured if anything, that would be the time it would happen. NOPE!! So proud! Sheba has not given any signs of "this is mine", nor has she shown any discomfort when Luna and her are laying with/by me.

Third-Sheba's space problems
For this, Sheba could be laying on the ground, on the couch, walking by, sitting down or whatever; and she would randomly decide her personal space bubble size and attack if she felt it was threatened. For example- One of her favorite spots to lay is in front of the couch by the TV, which is maybe 2-3 ft from the hallway that connects the bedroom and living room. If Luna got off the couch or made a move to go to the bedroom, sometimes Sheba would leave her alone, and other times that was just too close and she'd go for it. Sheba rarely likes to give signals that last longer then 5 seconds, and the saying is Poodles don't get their brains until after 2 years old (Luna was 12-14 months at the time Wink , and it was very true for her), so it was a conundrum of miscommunications.

NOW, Sheba makes the moves to cuddle with Luna and is very forgiving of her "space" being invaded. Sheba has raised her lips, raised her hackles, made any vocalizations, or given the stare down to Luna since I have been home.

Hopefully I haven't shot myself in the foot by typing this, but I'm so so sooooo proud of Sheba. She turns 2 soon, so I'm sure it's a mixture of training for both girls, maturity on both her and Luna's end, and time Very Happy . So, that is my biiig brag for my girls!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
eander83
Adult
Adult
eander83

Female Join date : 2013-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 10:48 am

So glad that she is making process Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 1:10 pm

This is great, Kelsey. Smile
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 1:49 pm

That's awesome! What do you think changed?
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Thank you all!!

When I saw Sheba actually engage Luna in play with a toy, I think my heart stopped lol!!! It has been a big adjustment on my end trusting them to be in the bedroom alone without supervision.

Jen, I'm not too sure. While I was away Chris said they had those few spats in the first couple weeks after I left, and turns out Sheba went into a full blown heat cycle in the middle of week 2 and 3, so I'm going to blame a lot of the initial problems on that and adjusting to me being gone. Other than that, he said they got along great and would play and cuddle together. From what he said he never left toys out unattended, but I don't really believe that lol. I'm not sure if me being gone helped them forge a bond or what lol!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
ZoéQ
Newborn
Newborn
ZoéQ

Female Join date : 2014-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 11:17 am

That is great news Smile So happy for you! Ever since I started lurking around the forum about a year ago, I saw you struggling with Sheba. Seems your love and patience has finally payed off.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 7:36 pm

This is great to hear! I also remember your rants with Sheba, so it's really nice to hear that there is good progress!

I hope things keep getting better for you Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Update on Miss Sheba!!   Update on Miss Sheba!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Update on Miss Sheba!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1