It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
codust
Newborn
Newborn
codust

Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. Empty
PostSubject: Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.   Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. EmptyWed May 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi there, I'm new here! We have a new Alaskan Husky (from a racing family) and we really don't know what is considered a safe exercise level for her!

She's 7 months old now and seems to be happy with anywhere from 3-5 walks a day with yard time in between on some days (fetch). The walks aren't really that long and range from less than a mile to maybe up to 1.5.

We're really afraid to let her go too hard and fast since she's still growing and keep reading not to push them too hard before 1 year. I plan to potentially take her out on runs in the future.

Some days it just seems like she need to be worn down a bit more, but we are hesitant to walk her too far at this point. I figured I'd ask some experienced husky owners!

I should add that she's really petite for her age... only around 26 or 27 pounds.

Thanks!

Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. Willow10
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.   Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. EmptyWed May 28, 2014 5:20 pm

Generally the rule of thumb is 5 minutes of exercise for each month of life. So, for a 7-month-old dog, 35 minutes' of exercise at a time is ideal. From what you've described it sounds like your pup is getting plenty of exercise. As long as their body and mind is being stimulated enough each day so that they don't appear bored or start destroying things in your house, there's no cause for concern. Just remember that along with physical exercise you should also be exercising their mind with training and other forms of mental stimulation. Smile
Back to top Go down
codust
Newborn
Newborn
codust

PostSubject: Re: Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.   Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. EmptyWed May 28, 2014 5:55 pm

Great, Thanks. Keeping her mentally satiated is the challenging part. I think when she's looking for mental action (even after a good walk), she resorts to chomping on us with her razor-mouth.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.   Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. EmptyWed May 28, 2014 8:26 pm

She is very pretty.

You can incorporate obediance training in walks and fetch time as well. It is harder depending on how much she likes fetch, but I can get Loki to do a bunch of tricks and commands with the reward being me throwing the ball.

Another option is play dates. I know Loki gets pretty exhausted when he plays with his friends.

I kind of felt like you at times with Loki until we could do more running with him, but the obediance work seemed to help a alot and a year comes faster then you think.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.   Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. EmptyThu May 29, 2014 8:58 am

techigirl78 wrote:
I kind of felt like you at times with Loki until we could do more running with him, but the obediance work seemed to help a alot and a year comes faster then you think.

I know that feeling, too! Layla's getting pretty close to a year and with the nicer weather I've been itching so bad to get her an X-back and take her out biking and do some more focused jogging with her. It's so hard to wait, but come fall we'll be starting our training. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofa279
Newborn
Newborn
Sofa279

Female Join date : 2014-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.   Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 11:50 am

Our Loki s 7 months and he just seems to never get enough either. Yesterday we walked him for 20 minutes in the morning, played with him for another 20 in the house and then later on took him to the dog park for over 30 minutes. He came home and had energy to play in the house with us for over another 30 minutes.... He just never seems to get enough.

I think its just important to remember that the mental stimuli (Kongs, in house training sessions, etc) will also tire him out and if you are worried about too much exercise you can incorporate those to get him tired out. We bought him an antler bone and he can play with that on his own for hours. He doesn't just chew on it, he barks at it, chases it around after kicking it and acts like its alive. He even (just now) did some Husky talk to the thing. Fun times! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.   Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky. Empty

Back to top Go down

Adequate yet safe exercise level for young Husky.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1