It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Raising 2 males

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
downunderhusky
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-05-29

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males EmptyThu May 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Gidday everyone I,m Chris my parteners name is kathy and the packs names are cherokee,max,Tikani and skah.cherokee and max are 11 and tikani and skah are 4months.We got the pups from the same breeder and are both male this is the first time we took on two pups at once was this a bad move or can it work out.We got the pups as we hav e found out that max has mass tumors which have spread to his lyphnoid glands and we wanted cherokee to have companions as she has never been by herself.We are going to have the pups desexed as we are not breeders.Any hints on raising to males would be much welomed. all the best to everyone  Chris
Back to top Go down
http://twowells.chris@bigpond.com
ICRedz
Puppy
Puppy
ICRedz

Female Join date : 2013-11-23

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males EmptyThu May 29, 2014 10:31 pm

Hey Chris,

First off, welcome to the forum! Second, I'm sorry to hear about Max's tumors. Hopefully the rest of his time is pain free. I'm not super experienced with having huskies (we just got our first guy on January 18th), but the puppy we have is a male. Smile Up until recently, his gender didn't really matter in regards to how we raised him: we had him meet a ton of dogs of different sizes and he met a ton of people. There is one dog in our building who will attack our puppy without warning, presumably due to them both being unaltered males, but that dog has a reputation. Lately, Achilles has started "maturing", if you will, and has started taking an interest in humping things (blankets, toys, dogs) but we call him off when he starts it. So, other than that, I don't see what I'd do differently with a male dog than I would with a female dog. Do you have any questions about males in general?
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males EmptyFri May 30, 2014 12:47 am

Sorry anout Max.

Look up littermate syndrome. It can be done but it is 3 times the work as one puppy. You basically spend time with pups individually and then with each other.
Back to top Go down
downunderhusky
Newborn
Newborn

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males EmptyFri May 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Thanks Courtney & jessica for your reply .We are spreading our time evenly with both Adult dogs and the pups.The older ones which are 11years old are we,ll house trained and spend a lot of time with us inside and let us know when they won,t out .The pups which we have only had for about 1month seem to like it outdoors more than inside so toilet training may take abit longer but they seem keen to learn from us and the adult dogs.Our main concern is because their both male is wether they will get along even after they have been desexed or will we have to keep them seperated .At the moment they sleep and eat fine with each other and we let them fed with the adult dogs so they can learn their place in the pack which we supervise so their is less risk of anyone getting hurt.regarding max at the moment he seems as healthy as can be expected so we are trying to give him the best of life he can have the vet say,s max will let us know when the time has come to move on we do not want him to be in any pain so it,s a case of watching for the signs.cherokee is just happy being a mother we think and lets the pups know whats rite &wrong. thanks everyone keep uposted .Chris
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males EmptySat May 31, 2014 4:52 am

Hi and welcome Chris  wave 

I don't think you're going to have much trouble with your new pups other than the usual competition for pecking order. We got two pups at the same time, littermates too, granted one was male and one female. They are very close and while at the time I knew nothing about the littermate syndrome that techgirl78 mentions above, but I believe they have it. They can't stand to have to be left out of something the other is involved in. They've almost always gone on walks together, car rides together, vet appts together. In hindsight, we probably should've done more with each one individually.

Now we've introduced Diablo who is also a male and several years younger. While we had some altercations, both boys get along very well now. I feel that they are finally meshing as 'siblings'.

If/when the pups start fighting for status in the pack, let them go. Allow them to establish themselves among each other. As long as it doesn't go too far, that is. We had bloodshed a few times but it was never anything really serious.
Back to top Go down
downunderhusky
Newborn
Newborn

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 4:27 am

Hi Kim

Thanks for the reply it was good to know that we haven,t done the wrong thing .We have started to take them out for leash training by themselves so they get used to being seperated so I.ll let you know how that goes.Anyway keep well and say gidday to the pack all the best from myself Kathy ,cherokee,max,,tikanee &shah
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 4:01 pm

From what I have seen with getting a puppy and them being around older dogs is that they sort of start to adapt to the other dogs personality like the saying "monkey see, monkey do" I think from what you've already posted your doing all of the rights things. Good luck with your two new pups, cant wait to have you guys post pictures!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raising 2 males Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raising 2 males   Raising 2 males Empty

Back to top Go down

Raising 2 males

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: It's A Husky Thing :: Announcements-