It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ShadeTheWolf94
Newborn
Newborn
ShadeTheWolf94

Female Join date : 2013-10-10

URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  Empty
PostSubject: URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!    URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  EmptyFri May 30, 2014 1:40 pm

My Siberian Husky Nanook who is 10 months old has been raided on Blue Wilderness and my dad switched his food for a while. Now he refuses to eat anything but wet food. He was weighed at 75lbs at the vet and then this weekend they weighed him at 55lbs! We will NOT raw feed and he wont eat the Blue Wilderness anymore. HELP!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://crimsontemptation.webs.com/
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!    URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  EmptyFri May 30, 2014 1:49 pm

I believe I read somewhere that in cases of rapid weight loss, firstly you should have your vet check for any thyroid issues, or diabetes, etcetera. Then also, I read that even an adult dog, for gaining weight back, your supposed to give a high fat content puppy food, and a lot of dog food bags should have a guideline of how much to give a dog in need of weight gain. I hope this helps, I hope Nanook feels better Sad
Back to top Go down
liesl.trapp
Newborn
Newborn
liesl.trapp

Female Join date : 2014-05-17

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!    URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  EmptySat May 31, 2014 11:33 am

It's hard when a dog learns to be picky. To get my dog to eat up when it's absolutely needed I either put honey on it or dice up some seaweed and mix in....she loves seaweed.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!    URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  EmptySat May 31, 2014 11:38 am

Check with your vet for any issues like Lucy said because that is a lot of weight loss. But huskies are supposed to be in the weight class, was he an okay size at 75lbs? That is a huge husky puppy.

And if he wont' eat blue wilderness, why not just switch to a different dry food brand and see if he eats that, 20 lbs is a huge weight loss at that point its okay to give into him for his health if he should be weighing more. Try taste of the wild, Orijen, Acana anything like that and see if he eats it. There are plenty of grain free foods out there, that he might enjoy more.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!    URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 9:46 am

siku&nikolai wrote:
Check with your vet for any issues like Lucy said because that is a lot of weight loss. But huskies are supposed to be in the weight class, was he an okay size at 75lbs? That is a huge husky puppy.

And if he wont' eat blue wilderness, why not just switch to a different dry food brand and see if he eats that, 20 lbs is a huge weight loss at that point its okay to give into him for his health if he should be weighing more. Try taste of the wild, Orijen, Acana anything like that and see if he eats it. There are plenty of grain free foods out there, that he might enjoy more.

Completely agree with this. I know you got Nanook from a not-so-reputable place when you joined the forums a few months ago, so 75 pounds may be his *fit* size coming from a breeder that does not adhere to standard. But, if you can feel his ribs extremely easily and they are poking out at 55 pounds, then I second the second part of this. My dogs were absolutely sick on Blue Buffalo. They hated the taste but ate is grudgingly, and even though they ate it their stools were always horrible and its like they had this constant sickness. As soon as I switched foods after two months, any issues they had were gone. I switched them to TOTW for a few months, and now they're on Acana. There are so many foods out there like siku&nikolai said, that you aren't forced to settle on just one because it isn't the only 'good food' out there, there are equally great options and imo better.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!    URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 11:25 am

Try wysong epigen. It has a very high protein content and Diz acted like the venison flavor was treats when I first let him sample it. If you call the company, they will send you free samples... I don't feed that exclusively, it's too expensive but I mix it with blue basics turkey flavor. But since nanook doesn't like blue, try totw as someone else suggested. You could also add a bit of water to the dry food to make it a bit more like wet food. Also, any females in heat in your area? This will often make an intact male skip meals, no matter what is offered.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!    URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!  Empty

Back to top Go down

URGENT HELP NEEDED HUSKY LOST 20lbs!!!!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1