It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Low Energy Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 9:53 am

Hi All!

I have a friend with an issue with his husky, and thought I'd ask you guys for thoughts/help. Smile

Here is what he wrote:

I am actually pretty frustrated at the low energy he has. He doesn't run around inside the house very much I'm running and he trots along after me. Then catches up and lays right down. When he lays around indoors, he is awake eyes half open. Then if we go outside He runs around with me then gives up after a minute. I'm trying to understand where all the Husky energy is. Now I'm grateful that he is a fairly mellow dog, but come on!! He will just lay there, he is 8 months old. Can you help me?

Here are my thoughts:

1. Warm weather. It's not too hot where he is, still getting down into the 40s at night, and low 70s during the day. Although Diz starts to slow down when it gets into the 70s.

2. He's 8 months old, so could just be in a growth spurt and sleeping a lot more than normal?

3. He's bored with the routine? Might need a change in scenery, or routine? Maybe, try a new park a different route on the walk, a new toy to chase and play with?

4. Also, I'd say watch how he plays with other dogs and see if you can mimic that body language to make yourself more interesting. For example, Diz loves to chase and stalk so, I'll stalk him from the other side of the room and then take off after him. He runs, then I turn around and run away, he chases, then flip and chase him again.

What do you guys think? He's been through all the normal stuff at the vet, so there's no obviously physical issue.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 10:33 am

Huh...I seem to have the same friend. I hit all the points you did except #4. I know Ami is turning into old rug once the sun is over the treeline. Not so first thing in the morning, though Rolling Eyes 

Also - another, somewhat unpleasant thought. This friend posted on here earlier about over-reacting to something and smacking the dog...

I'm guessing friend needs to vary the dog's experiences in the cooler times of the day, different scenery, different kinds of activity. I'm finding with Ami that it's not just exercise, it's not just "people time", it's not just play time...he needs it all to keep his spirit bright sunny I'm very fortunate - we live at the crossroads in rural area - he does not repeat a morning walk except every 3-5 days, night time is the same, it's the only route with houses on it periodically so I don't feel so isolated (especially on a moonless night). Intersperse that with trips to the gorge, the various rails to trails, ice cream, the airport, visits from my son (whom Mr. Dog adores!).

Also - Ami is very mood sensitive - you can see him get glum when someone gets irritable and he positively glows when I laugh. And since this big goofy boy is always making me laugh, it's really a happy place for Ami.

I wish our friend luck.
Back to top Go down
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 11:00 am

Gabby is very similar to this... Being only 5 months old I figured she would be crazy puppy mode but she is very mellow. When we go to the dog park she runs around for 15 minutes or so and then shes done. I think a lot of her issues are the heat and she is also teething at the moment so she doesn't really want to play with toys other then to just chew on them.

I have been telling my girlfriend that we got a broken husky not that I am really complaining all that much. I do wish she was a little more playful at times but it's nice not having her be destructive and crazy all the time.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 11:05 am

lepp1892 wrote:
Gabby is very similar to this... Being only 5 months old I figured she would be crazy puppy mode but she is very mellow. When we go to the dog park she runs around for 15 minutes or so and then shes done. I think a lot of her issues are the heat and she is also teething at the moment so she doesn't really want to play with toys other then to just chew on them.

Oh, I should have mentioned - Ami really never has sustained "run like a sled dog for miles and miles" activity. Usually 5-15 minutes of run like the wind, play with the soccar ball etc then flop. Even in the winter. I think he gets bored with the activity after a short time. Also, he is not conditioned like a sled dog. He does, however, become very alert and interested on walks - even up to 5 miles. That, to date, is my physical maximum.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 11:29 am

We call Kenzi the anti-husky. She is pretty low energy, not really destructive, and very quiet. While she is much older than the pup in question I attribute her low energy levels to routine as well. We do the same thing every day throughout the day and she is very calm and just goes through the motions, but if we get in the car it's a free for all and she starts bouncing off the walls like we never see the rest of the day. I take her a lot of places in the car so every time we drive out of the driveway it's to something different whether it's the vet, petco, a car show, a race, an auction, or one of the many trails at the park. It keeps her guessing and gets her excited. When we go to the park we never do the same trail two days in a row. She may not be excited to go outside in the 90 degree heat we've been having but even if it's 100 out she's still excited to get in the car. Variety is the spice of life and it sounds like this pup just needs a little spice, to me.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:02 pm

TwisterII wrote:
We call Kenzi the anti-husky. She is pretty low energy, not really destructive, and very quiet. While she is much older than the pup in question I attribute her low energy levels to routine as well. We do the same thing every day throughout the day and she is very calm and just goes through the motions, but if we get in the car it's a free for all and she starts bouncing off the walls like we never see the rest of the day. I take her a lot of places in the car so every time we drive out of the driveway it's to something different whether it's the vet, petco, a car show, a race, an auction, or one of the many trails at the park. It keeps her guessing and gets her excited. When we go to the park we never do the same trail two days in a row. She may not be excited to go outside in the 90 degree heat we've been having but even if it's 100 out she's still excited to get in the car. Variety is the spice of life and it sounds like this pup just needs a little spice, to me.

Excellent advice: Except for the car shows. I've seen enough car shows and air shows to last a lifetime. I've told hubby my limit is now 1 per month - after that hook up with the younger son or go solo! I do like the cars and the planes, but I am a husky at heart: It's all SUN, not a lick of shade Sad 
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 12:36 pm

It is a challenge keeping her cool. I have a swamp vest for her and am looking into getting her shoes to protect her paws from the hot concrete. We have show cars and race cars so I need all of our dogs to be car ready since we do very long events sometimes. I try to keep her engaged in many different things so that if something happens out of the ordinary at one of the events then she is better prepared. Few things catch her by surprise.

Newborn
Newborn
dekiai

Male Join date : 2014-09-12

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 4:39 am

It may just be your dog's persona that's really kicking in. Its not 'broken', that's a bit absurd to call a living thing broken. Perhaps its just one of those with a naturally low-energy stride. Nothing really wrong with that, it just means he's totally mellow!

I live in the Philippines where its tropical and a good majority of the time is intensely humid and hot but Lightning (my dog) always seems to be on the go. On some occasions, she openly pushes to go on walks a little after 12noon. She used to be really medium-energy as a puppy but as soon as she hit 9 months, she skyrocketed in her energy level and could just run and run for days on end. Now if only I can get her to eat! Hahahaha Razz Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Low Energy Husky? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Low Energy Husky?   Low Energy Husky? Empty

Back to top Go down

Low Energy Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1