It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 5:53 pm

I have a 42" as well for his main crate. He weighs 51 lbs. I also have a 36" for the car. The 42 doesn't fit well in the car but the 36" would be too small for his normal everyday crate.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 5:56 pm

I think in most brands the 42 i considered "Large." Typical Husky size. Our brand actually had a Husky on the box.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
Jesse & Andrea
Puppy
Puppy
Jesse & Andrea

Male Join date : 2013-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Im not entirely sure about his dimensions shoulder to shoulder, however he is 52lbs as of now. He is fine length wise in his crate, but while standing he is a little slouched. His current crate is a 36"x23"x25". I also forgot to mention he runs with a backpack on carrying roughly 1lb of weights when we run. He also gets at least two visits to the dog park a week. He also bikes, we live in Tallahassee so he runs and pulls up the hills. Smile  Im thinking about rideing over to Petsmart and purchasing the 42" after i finish eating.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Excellent choice. In the long run you and he will be grateful.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Well that is great! Use the 36 inch for night time/sleepy time like I do (also the 36 inch just fits better in our room lol)... the 42 is perfect for during the day use.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:01 pm

I strongly recommend a pad of some sort as well.  Primo Pads are tanks.  They are virtually indestructible and come with a warranty just in case they do tear it, they are soft and comfortable and also keep them cool while on it.  Great for Florida.    We have had one forever and there is not a single tear or hole anywhere.

Other things you can do for his comfort and relaxation are talk radio, a fan blowing on him, and some chew toys inside.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:04 pm

Ugh I am sorry ~! my Downstairs crate is a 48" 30" 32" !!! Upstairs is the 42 .... bwahaha wh Embarassed oops
Back to top Go down
Jesse & Andrea
Puppy
Puppy
Jesse & Andrea

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:05 pm

We bought a pad when we initially purchased the crate, which was labeled indestructible. However, we soon found out it was NOT "Husky Indestructible." Shadow destroyed it 3 days later. I have been hearing great things about leaving a radio on, does it work well?
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:06 pm

This is her right now in the 48. Napping like a lazy bum.

Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 00110
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Radios can relieve anxiety to a certain point.. It creates a "not completely alone" sense for them. It doesn't work with all dogs, but it does with a lot of them.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:09 pm

We had an "indestructible" Kong pad that lasted 2 days. Link is the antivenom for most "indestructible" things. But for what it's worth as my anecdote, the Primo Pad has lasted. Easy to clean too.

We have always left talk radio on for him. Perhaps it's just projecting or perhaps it just makes me feel better, but it certainly doesn't hurt. He has a fan on him here nearly always too. He is really prone to being hot though. That definitely makes a difference.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:13 pm

FANS... yes Jeff... lol Okami has a fan on her 80% of the time in the house... she is like a 1800's Southern Bell. Without her fan she is prissy and put out. lol.

Also Jeff I hear you on the anti-venom on what is indestructable. Pretty much the only things she doesn't destroy in minutes are Antlers and Orange Chuck it balls lol.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:13 pm

I think the radio depends on how your house is when you're home. If the tv is always on while someone is home then it might make a difference, but if the house is often completely silent despite people being there, like mine is, then the radio may not make a difference.

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:16 pm

Funny you should mention those......

Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 Imag2510
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Lol bwahahahaha our huskies have the same taste in toys Smile
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:19 pm

omg and you have a carabiner clip on yours too .... great minds think alike.. I always clip the door when we leave, she figured out how to get out!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Well I just have learned that rather than give him plush toys or "indestructible" toys I should just crate him with a pile of $20s and just record the fun for amusement.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Haha. He never got out but I was ahead of the game with the padlock, I guess. I also have the whole crate zip tied at the joints as well.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:22 pm

That is pretty much what I say before we stopped getting her toys that break. "I am paying 20 bucks for a 5 minute toy.....yay."
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:23 pm

I was thinking about using the plastic zip tie things... but I am afraid she will chew them off and eat them :/ she likes to pick at things with her front teeth.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:26 pm

Link is an incisor nibbler too, but he has never discovered the zip ties. They're also black and clipped super short. I don't think he could get to one even if he tried......on just the physics of the size and space alone.
Back to top Go down
Jesse & Andrea
Puppy
Puppy
Jesse & Andrea

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:32 pm

We do not watch much television. However, there is a calming sound from our saltwater reef tank. We have it setup across from Shadow's crate in the living room. Shadow loves to watch the fish swim around and he follows with his head.
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:35 pm

Haha. Dogs are so simple sometimes Smile
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 6:39 pm

See that is one thing that I did sort of. The view from the crate can also be entertaining. I have her set up to where she can see out of 2 different windows downstairs. In one window she can be a watchdog-yes I got blessed err cursed? with a husky that is a guard dog- that window is the driveway/front of the house to watch neighbors and cars. The other window, she can see the giant mini lake in my backyard and the nature, birds, squirrels etcetera. If she isn't sleeping she is watching stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jesse & Andrea
Puppy
Puppy
Jesse & Andrea

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 09, 2014 7:05 pm

Yeah he enjoys the fish tank! How many of you all crate your dogs during the night? Shadow always sleeps in our room with us, either on the floor or in the bed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..   Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped.. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Training a Husky To Behave While Absent ! Stumped..

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next