It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice Empty
PostSubject: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Hello! It's been a bit since I was here but I find myself in need of advice or ideas. There's a possibility I could be moving in the next few months and the perspective place has no apartments that allow huskies. I need to rent and I keep looking at pet friendly places but they all have the top ten dangerous breeds list posted saying that huskies are not allowed.  No  (btw..we all know that list is a pile doodoo!). Anyways, I would appreciate any tips or ideas on how to find places that will accept a (very very sweet) husky. And if anyone's been in this spot, how were you able to get around the issue?

Oh for the record, I rent now and the place I live only required that my vet send over a letter saying Kiba is not aggressive. They really didn't care she was a husky as long as our vet would say she's got a good temperament. This is my first time encountering an overwhelming number of apartments with a ban on breeds. Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Craigslist is usually a good place to start looking. Where are you located?

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 9:14 pm

Look into rental houses, maybe you'll be able to find a more understanding landlord if its an individual rather than a management company.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Look at other apartments, be willing to deal with a longer commute if necessary. Look at townhomes and single family home rentals, they are often more willing to deal with you on a case by case basis. Also, don't be afraid to enlist the help of a real estate agent.

Senior
Senior
Ericobeasto

Male Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 8:32 am

I have no knolwedge of appartment hunting. But the appartments that you looked at did you talk to them about your husky? Or just read it? Maybe if you talk to them and ask if they meet your husky, and tell them your current place allowed you with letter from vet, if something similar can happen. I dont know if thay would work, but its worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 9:26 am

I have talked with a lot of apartment complexes (due to the sheer amount of moving I have done over the years) regarding their pet policies and breed restrictions. 99% of the time if they have a restricted breed list it is nonnegotiable because the list is from their insurance provider. The complex has to insure their buildings and if their insurance company will not insure certain breeds then that's almost always why a complex will not allow any of that breed. It's not the apartment managers decision, it is determined by their insurance carrier in almost every case I have found. And to make things more difficult for those with breeds on the list, I have also found that most apartment complexes in an area often have the same insurance carrier, which is why a lot in an area all say no can do.

I have moved 9 times in the last 10 years, 5 of those moves were into a rental (apartment, townhouse and private single family home rental), and my sibe has been with me for 7 of those years. I have done this song and dance too many times trying to find a husky friendly rental. I find that I either have to be willing to travel or find a private rental which is the most successful. If it is an insurance issue then the apartments have no negotiation power. But private rentals more often do have wiggle room and are generally more willing to negotiate and take things on a case by case basis.

Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice EmptyFri Jun 20, 2014 4:04 pm

huskyluv, what your saying about the insurance companies is absolutely on par with what i'm seeing. I know several places where i live now that don't allow them for the same insurance reasons and they cannot bend the rules. It really appears that this is the case with pretty much all the apartments we've seen online.

I think maybe searching for private owners and expanding our commute options will be our best bet if we do move. This is all preliminary right now because we have to find jobs first (which is good because i'm not in a tight spot right now). I just like to do my homework ahead of time so ive been scoping out the rentals. oh and we're looking at Richmond to potentially move to. You would think a big city would have alot of options - doesnt seem to be the case for a husky owner.

Thanks for your thoughts so far! I wish there was a way to petition to have the insurance companies change it. I like the attitude our current place since they base acceptance on temperament not breed. Breed doesn't 100% dictate if a dog will be sweet or aggressive. Anyone who's had a good experience with an "aggressive" breed dog knows that to be the truth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice    cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice Empty

Back to top Go down

cant find Husky friendly apartment- need advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1