It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Another Surprise...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

another surprise - Another Surprise... Empty
PostSubject: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 am

I'm posting this in the gardening forum since bees are pollinators and without them we would have no gardens...

Yesterday, in my orderly (as orderly as it gets Razz ) day, Wayne comes in and tells me I may have a bee problem - he's been out painting the lawn plantain with roundup Rolling Eyes and is hearing all sorts of buzzing behind the garage. Sure enough - a huge cloud of bees with some already balling up on a branch of buckthorn! About 10-12 ft up in the tree. I'm sorry I did not take pictures from the beginning, but I wanted to capture them before they left.

I grabbed my veil and gloves, the nucleus hive box I am supposed to return from the bees I bought in May, some extra frames I had laying around, the frame feeder for the nuc box and the loppers. Husband helped me get a 15 foot section of extension ladder and we went to work - and kudos to the hubby: He has had very little to do with the bees, other than shelling out over $500 for equipment and bees (and still waiting for his honey Laughing ). He has no veil, no suit and was dressed only in scrubs. But he was in the thick of things with me since the tree, though high, was young and the ladder placement...well, let's just say, was precarious confused He told me later, it was quite difficult to just stand there with the bees flying all around, many crawling on him and not run for the hills (I had assured him that honeybees in a swarm are very docile, intent only on getting into a new home - a fact I have read, but my experience is thin).

Here are the pics:

This is the tree they landed in - the orange circle shows the crotch that one side of the ladder sat in - the other side of the ladder was sort of just laying against some smaller branches - I really do not know what I was thinking another surprise - Another Surprise... 1625187496 The purple circles show the limbs that I cut off to bring the mass of bees down the ladder.
another surprise - Another Surprise... Bee_tr10

This is the nucleus hive box that I'm using to temporarily house the bees (which means that over the next 2 weeks, I have to build another hive.)
another surprise - Another Surprise... Img_0041

This shows the bees both twitching their butts to broadcast scent to locate the hive and the bees entering the hive for the first time:
another surprise - Another Surprise... Img_0042

This shows the bees entering through the actual hive entrance for the first time. That they are entering the hive is a good sign that I have captured the queen and the hive will be viable. (At least, so I have read Very Happy )
another surprise - Another Surprise... Img_0043

This picture shows the inside of the hive box - on the left, the black thing with bees all over it is the frame feeder - that is filled with a 1:1 sugar to water syrup for feeding the bees. To the left are 4 frames with a wax coated plastic foundation stamped with the outline of honeycomb. Bees use this to build there comb into which they both raise their young and store honey and pollen.
another surprise - Another Surprise... Img_0044

This is the inside of the top cover - still covered with bees as they enter and explore their new home:
another surprise - Another Surprise... Img_0045

The only difference between this nucleus hive and a full size hive is size - once they have drawn comb on the foundation and filled at least 2 frames with eggs and larvae (called brood), maybe some honey, I will move these frames into a large hive box that holds 10 frames. Thus begins a new hive.

I still cannot believe I climbed that ladder into the buckthorn (I'm not keen on heights) and that hubby actually stood there in that cloud of bees, no veil and in short sleeves!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 10:41 am

I am so incredibly jealous. Not about having to climb the tree, though heights don't bother me, but that you get to have bees. I want a couple hives so bad but hubby hates bugs in general and doesn't want them anywhere near the house, so I must wait until we have a little more space. My best friend has four hives and loves it.

Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 11:08 am

wow! I cant even let a bee fly passed my head without freaking out!!!
Back to top Go down
Iluvmyhuskies
Adult
Adult
Iluvmyhuskies

Female Join date : 2012-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Holy BEES!!!  affraid 
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 1:59 pm

SWEET!!! when hubby gets his honey send me some! that is a crazy story to get some bees, good work

Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 4:23 pm

That's really neat! I wish more people could do this.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 4:49 pm

That is so cool! I couldn't do it, but it's so awesome to see and read about the process.

Hughie
Adult
Adult
Hughie

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 8:07 pm

O.k. short story made longer than it needs to be. In the movie ""Fried Green Tomatoes" Mary Stuart Mastersons character "Idgy" collects honey from a "wild" hive in a hollow tree. The behind the scene story is that the stunt girl that was suppose to do the shot quit on the spot, Stuart Masterson talked the with the "bee wrangler" and decided she was game to do scene herself, and somehow the studio allowed her to do it. If you haven't seen the movie give it a try.
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Hughie, I absolutely LOVE that movie!

amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Hughie wrote:
O.k. short story made longer than it needs to be.  In the movie ""Fried Green Tomatoes" Mary Stuart Mastersons character "Idgy" collects honey from a "wild" hive in a hollow tree.  The behind the scene story is that the stunt girl that was suppose to do the shot quit on the spot, Stuart Masterson talked the with the "bee wrangler" and decided she was game to do scene herself, and somehow the studio allowed her to do it.  If you haven't seen the movie give it a try.  

Great movie, Hughie - but I don't remember the scene. Bees in swarm mode are really docile. Even most of the time they are quite benign...unless you have southern bees that have been africanized affraid 
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Awesome! Smile We have bee hives at work and I'm always watching the bee keepers do their work. They are so used to the bees... He says he gets stung a few times every day but it doesn't bother him. Honey bees don't have a particularly painful sting so it isn't that big of a deal.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 12:30 am

I'm a little scared of bees, but I have to say, this is pretty incredible!
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 10:16 am

I LOVE that movie!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 9:15 am

Great scene and phenomenal movie!

Thanks for sharing the story! How interesting Smile

another surprise - Another Surprise... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Surprise...   another surprise - Another Surprise... Empty

Back to top Go down

Another Surprise...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1