It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Safe chew bones?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Pandora367
Newborn
Newborn

Safe chew bones? Empty
PostSubject: Safe chew bones?   Safe chew bones? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 9:20 pm

I am getting a bit frustrated with finding safe chew bones for my girl. I feel like every time I pick something up after researching that it is safe, then I find research to the contrary. One source says that rawhide is safe, then another says it is absolutely not safe. One says that antlers are safe, another says they are not. I have a Kong and Zoey loves it, but I can tell she is already getting a bit bored with it and needs more to chew on than just that. I did end up buying her a rawhide this last week and she LOVED it, but I ended up throwing it out soon after giving it to her after reading how dangerous they are.

So far I have been giving her the Blue Buffalo Dental Chews and she does like those, just not as much as she liked the rawhide. They also don't last very long. After reading through some of the threads on this forum, it seems that antlers are a popular choice, and I didn't find any horror stories about them being dangerous on here. I also came across bully sticks and Himalayan Dog Chews as possible options, but then found research saying those might not be great options either...

I think I am probably just being ultra paranoid, but it would be helpful to hear from others as to what some safe chew bone options might be. It would be great if I could find something that is in the pet stores rather than something I would have to order online.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

Safe chew bones? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe chew bones?   Safe chew bones? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 10:53 pm

I hope people respond to this post. Its something I'd really like to know as well. My dogs love the rawhide too, but they can be so dangerous. I havnt tried the antlers yet because they just look like they would become really boring, really fast and from what Ive seen, theyre not inexpensive. Some other chews Ive tried, are like that movie... "Gone in 60 seconds", its like I hand them one and POOF, theyre gone
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

Safe chew bones? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe chew bones?   Safe chew bones? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 11:09 pm

Personally antlers are the way to go in my opinion. Rawhides are the opposite. There are many opinions however, and some may think opposite from me. You really can never find the right answer in this topic, you just need to make the best educated guess and roll with it.

That being said here is my opinion on both.

Antlers (always buy naturally shed btw, non-naturally shed ones could have been cruely obtained and that is sad Sad )
They are extremely hard compared to most anything you will ever find. This can be both advantageous and disadvantageous. Advantageous, because it will last longer than most anyother thing you could purchase. Disadvantageous, because there is a possibilty of damaging teeth. It is really how much of a chewer you think you dog is. The way to know? Test drive by buying one. If it disappears within a week or less, you shouldn't use, because your dog would be considered an aggressive chewer. If it lasts longer than a a few months, antlers are perfectly fine. But I strongly recommend, do not under any circumstances (with any chew toy) let unsupervised chewing occur. Can lead to many issues. You know your dog best, so you should be able to say when enough is enough.

Rawhides. I personally hate them. I have heard way too many horror stories. Cuts in the intestines, blockages in the intestines... very costly surgeries. I don't really have more to go on other than that, but as I stated, you know your dog best, so you would know better if it is the right chew observing a trial.

Kongs are great, if bored with them fill them with different things and alternate each time? Should keep for an interesting switch.

Good luck! Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

Safe chew bones? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe chew bones?   Safe chew bones? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 am

I give Miya a rawhide once in a blue moon, made in USA/Canada only, she has no problems with them, but again it's like once every couple months, because she does love them. I'm not a hundred percent sure on how safe they are as well, heard some bad stuff, so test and see. Pig ears go quick, and cow ears she adores and takes a while (few days) to eat. She enjoys antlers, but gets bored so it does lay around forever. Hands done favorite is raw meaty bones, mine and Miya's. Nutritious, fairly safe, yummy to her. On a hot day I give her frozen, in fact 95% of my freezer is Miya bones  Laughing I get them at my local grocery store meat department, they save them for me. If they don't have any I'll buy a t-bone, or short ribs and give her some(never give any type of bone that is cooked). Everything I give my girl I can buy at local stores, just read the package. FYI with cow ears most are made in South America and seems to be good safety wise(haven't heard of anything bad coming from there). Forgot to mention with young dogs, pups, I would stick with short ribs they are smaller and softer, watch to make sure they chew and not try to swallow, excellent for cleaning teeth.
Renee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Safe chew bones? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Safe chew bones?   Safe chew bones? Empty

Back to top Go down

Safe chew bones?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1