It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Is my Husky a miniature?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bree & Nikki
Newborn
Newborn
Bree & Nikki

Female Join date : 2014-09-15

Is my Husky a miniature?  Empty
PostSubject: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 am

Hi everyone,

My Husky Bree is one and a half year old now and was the runt of her litter. She is full pedigree Siberian Husky (KC Reg 5 generation certificate). But she is only 15kg. I asked the vet if she was under weight and she said she is the perfect weight for her size but she did say she was small for a Husky. Any input would be helpful as all I could find on the internet was about klee kai. Smile
Back to top Go down
MattV
Newborn
Newborn
MattV

Male Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:52 am

35 pounds is a good weight for a female. She sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
Bree & Nikki
Newborn
Newborn
Bree & Nikki

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 9:12 am

I just thought I would ask because when I see other Huskies they seem a lot bigger and all her brothers and sisters are nearly twice as big. But thank you for your comment Smile
Back to top Go down
Vetsky
Teenager
Teenager
Vetsky

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 9:33 am

I think the AKC standard is between 35 and 50 pounds.
Back to top Go down
RachelNala1694
Adult
Adult
RachelNala1694

Male Join date : 2013-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 11:16 am

Nala is very small im thinking she was the runt of her litter as well but shes at the most 40 lbs. I always thought the same thing because most huskies i see are a lot larger but the females stay relatively small.
Back to top Go down
Bree & Nikki
Newborn
Newborn
Bree & Nikki

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 12:30 pm

I suppose she still has a little growing to do but when she was last weighed she was a little over 15kg which is like 33 lbs? So shes not drastically smaller than normal. It was probably because she was the runt of her litter. Thanks for the comments guys! Smile
Back to top Go down
Wiretap
Puppy
Puppy
Wiretap

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:00 pm

My last female wasn't overly huge or anything, thought I can't really give an exact weight. And my current puppy's mother was small, I would say not much over 35lbs (I have a photo of my
Puppy next to her at 7-8 weeks and you can see that she is quite small). One thing I notice is people who aren't super familiar with the breed expect very large dogs, or larger dogs than what a husky actually is (even vets).
Back to top Go down
UndarthAngipoo
Adult
Adult
UndarthAngipoo

Female Join date : 2012-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 2:54 pm

They'll continue to widen out (deepen chest) until they're at least two, so you there's still a pretty good chance she'll put on a bit more weight on her own. Smile As somebody mentioned before, the standard calls for 35 to 50 lbs for a female so she's right where she's supposed to be! Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 4:15 pm

The difference between a 43lb bitch and a 35lb bitch. Enya (red) was not a runt of her litter, her sister is the exact same size....what you are looking at is different genetics. Harvest and Weaver are top of the standard dogs from sled lines. Enya and her sister are more moderate and bottom of the standard from more show backed lines-

Is my Husky a miniature?  1512654_10152061209321590_477002459_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
intergalacticju
Newborn
Newborn
intergalacticju

Male Join date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  EmptyWed Sep 24, 2014 3:20 pm

To kind of add in, while Bradbury was a rescue pet, I have a feeling he was the runt or possibly not taken care of before I got him. He's two now, and I've had him for a year, and when I got him he was 39lbs. He's upped to 53lbs roughly, and the vet states he's healthy, but he's still the smallest husky at the dog park except for a couple females.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is my Husky a miniature?    Is my Husky a miniature?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Is my Husky a miniature?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1