It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? Empty
PostSubject: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 2:22 am

Just curious. I can't take him, but he is up for adoption here in Korea. He doesn't look like most Mals I've seen, but he's being listed by his owner as a purebred Mal. Was wondering what Mal owners think, or anyone with Mal experience. He is 1.5 years old and 100 lbs.

Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? 10572168_10204789338081719_6860107036092721903_o
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 4:45 pm

I don't know a lot about Mals but there is nothing that jumps out to me that indicates it's anything else. If anything, it has much more feathery than I am used to on Mals.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 6:24 pm

He looks full Malamute to me, the "Giant" Malamute takes on this look more than the standard Malamute. At 100 lbs, I'm guessing he's the "Giant", my Malamute never weighed more than 65 lbs (h was a standard) I don't know exactly why some of the northern breeds get this "feathery" look, but there are 2 pure bred Siberian Huskies that live near me that have this same exact coat (and they are not woolies) its almost like a Collie .
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptySun Sep 28, 2014 9:43 pm

I find there are different looks from dogs from other countries as well. Not always, but sometimes they breed for different things. I would lump it into the bybs that breed for wooly huskies in the US.

He's handsome though. His coloring is kind of odd though. Looks merled, but could be the lighting.

Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 3:43 am

I thought the coloring was because he appears to be blowing his coat, only he almost looks shaved in some places...whatever it is, I think his coloring would be more uniform if not for the "missing" fur
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Looks very much like the malamute we saw at a car show this summer. I also think he looks to be blowing coat with maybe some shaved areas.

Ami is, I think, a wooley husky. And now that his undercoat is almost fully gone, he has a feathery look to him (he is abolutely gorgeous when running - his locks undulate in the breeze. NOT that I am advocating wooly huskies, nosiree, man. It is a royal PIA - one walk in the woods this time of year and I am pickng seed pods out of his hair everywhere. And we won't mention the burdocks Mad )

The only question I have about this dog is that he has a rather pronounced stop - and my understanding is that malamutes don't - have a more gradual "slope" from head to nose.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 2:54 pm

I am sure you said somewhere but why are you in Korea?
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Playing with the Big Dogs wrote:

Uncle Sam pays for his vacations!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 10:02 pm

Amy, the "Giant" Malamutes do have this pronounced stop, I'm not sure how they get the 'Giants', if its through breeding with another breed or something else (I say this because the head and stop remind me a lot of a St. Bernard) but every Giant I have seen, has the rather heavy bone structure in the head/face and the pronounced stop, compared to a standard Malamute.
Back to top Go down
counter
Teenager
Teenager

Male Join date : 2013-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 4:37 am

Playing with the Big Dogs wrote:

I'm deployed with the US Air Force for 4 months. We first stopped in Hawaii for 2 months to prep and participate in RIMPAC (info in quotes below). We were notified that this was the first time the USAF has supported this military exercise, and also the first time China's Navy has been invited. So both of those were pretty cool. We then came to South Korea after being diverted from Australia, New Zealand, and Guam, as those were plans A, B and C (that all fell through) for potential locations after Hawaii. Plan D was Korea. Oh yay! I was here in 1994 (US Navy), 2004 (USAF), and now again in 2014 (USAF). Never made the connection that I come here every 10 years until right now after I typed that sentence. Weird. I should be home next week sometime.

Quote :
Held every two years by Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet (PACFLT), RIMPAC 2014 is a multinational maritime exercise that takes place in and around the Hawaiian Islands.

This year’s RIMPAC exercise, the 24th in the series that began in 1971, is scheduled from June 26 to August 1, with an opening reception scheduled for June 26 and closing reception August 1. Twenty-two nations, 49 surface ships, 6 submarines, more than 200 aircraft and 25,000 personnel will participate. Units from Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, France, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, the People’s Republic of China, Peru, the Republic of Korea, the Republic of the Philippines, Singapore, Tonga, the United Kingdom and the United States will participate.

RIMPAC is a unique training opportunity that helps participants foster and sustain the cooperative relationships that are critical to ensuring the safety of sea lanes and security on the world’s oceans.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?   Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute? Empty

Back to top Go down

Does this look like a purebred Alaskan Malamute?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1