It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

House Training

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
larish09
Newborn
Newborn
larish09

Female Join date : 2014-09-04

House Training Empty
PostSubject: House Training   House Training EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Destiny will be 4 months on October 22. She is going in the house more often. When I take her out she does go pee but she will not poop outside. Once i bring her in after waiting a good 30-45min she will come inside and poop on the carpet. I was wondering if anyone has any advice? I try the hour thing but it does not work with her. Another issue she is having is chewing on long pants. If you wear jeans, pajamas, sweatpants, socks, or colorful shoes she tries to bite them. I say no and she tries to bite me but her tail is wagging. I also try whenever she is biting something that she is not supposed to I say no bite and give her a toy. Anyone have any tips. This is my first husky and I did do a tone of research on them before i got her.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 11:12 pm

I have one who's a bit older (like a couple of years) but every once in a while she decides that my kitchen floor is her private loo.  The solution, in my case, is real simple - she goes on a short leash and she either asks to go out ot she's laying right next to it (and she won't do that!)
While it may sound a bit cruel, limit her access to the house - keep her crated or on a short leash (preferably tied to you) so that she absolutely has to ask to go out.

The other item, aw, c'mon she's just playing!  part of puppy growing up is to learn to chase and capture and a flapping pants leg is a great thing to try to catch.  The fact that you say that her tails wagging is, to me, the real give away that it's play.  Swapping up is a good way to try to train her.  A time out, a short leash tied where she can see you but not be part of the fun, is another.  Time outs should reflect their age and I honestly haven't seen anything that say "for a puppy of xx months, then the time out should be yy minutes".  For a younger puppy time outs should be measured in a very few minutes, as they get older then stretch it some but I can't think of a good reason for any time out to extend over, let's say 10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 1:28 am

Excellent advice Al, can't add anything else, except you may want to read the very long sticky under training called puppy biting and the other one in same place called potty training.
Back to top Go down
Elacher10
Newborn
Newborn
Elacher10

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 12:19 am

I have a three month old husky puppy that was trained before I got her to go on potty pads. I have a cocker mixed that is trained to go outside already. I take them potty outside at the same time and the husky still doesn't seem to get the concept. Any pointers to try? Should I take her out alone?
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 12:04 pm

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that time outside with the two of them is "play time". Dogs seem to forget that they need to go when they're playing which leads to frustration on our part and a mess in the house when they come in.
One of the best recommendations I've seen says that there's play time and there's potty time, and you have to teach them the difference. Taking them out individually for potty time would probably help them learn.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Elacher10
Newborn
Newborn
Elacher10

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training EmptyMon Nov 10, 2014 2:02 am

Thank you very much for your help. We finally just got into a house from our apartment. So now I can take her outside all the time. I will try with just taking her out first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

House Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: House Training   House Training Empty

Back to top Go down

House Training

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1