It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Carnivore or Omnivore ???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Using the same logic as Jessica (and I do), Ami voraciously eats all sorts of foods so I consider him an omnivore. He does, however, definitely have preferences: yes to peas and carrots, not to broccoli and brussels sprouts. Also - the teeth thing - he thoroughly chews his peanuts and shredded wheat. An savors them:)
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:16 pm

amymeme wrote:

seattlesibe wrote:

MiyasMomma wrote:
The longer the species is domesticated the more it becomes "humanized:, imho.

And if you think about this, one of the great trends in human society is to give a  big F'you to biology and create lives for ourselves or extend lives that biology would have prevented or terminated.  This absolutely extends to our closest domesticated pets.  

I'm currently alive and typing on this computer because of this.  Biologically I should be dead.

Ok, I'll bite...biologically you should be dead?

Type 1 diabetes: my pancreas died 15 years ago. Biotech scientists (like my partner) keep me alive Smile / Sad ?? It's a profound philosophical conundrum for me, intellectually at least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm

techigirl78 wrote:

My huskies and cats fall into the second group.  They seem to love meat, but will sample other things too, so I guess to me that is omnivore.  I know both need a good amount of protein though, so if you want to say carnivore with some opportunistic tendencies that is fine by me too.  

My snake though . . .  I have never seen him go for anything other then mice and rats.  I have had him outside and he does not sample the plants.  He won't take cheese of my plate.  That to me is full fledged pure carnivore.

This is actually a great distinction and one that sheds some light.  We have never domesticated an animal that is too strict in their dietary preferences, as in snake-like strict.  

Domestication requires flexibility.  If dogs only wanted fresh meat or could only eat fresh meat, they wouldn't be curled up on our sofas right now.  That just wouldn't have been possible.

"...domestication involves wild animals being transformed into something more useful to humans. Truly domesticated animals differ in various ways from their wild ancestors. These differences result from two processes: human selection of those individual animals more useful to humans than other individuals of the same species, and automatic evolutionary responses of the animals to the altered forces of natural selection operating in human environments as compared with wild environments."
--Jared Diamond Guns, Germs, and Steel p. 159

Last edited by seattlesibe on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:26 pm

amymeme wrote:
Using the same logic as Jessica (and I do), Ami voraciously eats all sorts of foods so I consider him an omnivore.  He does, however, definitely have preferences: yes to peas and carrots, not to broccoli and brussels sprouts.  Also - the teeth thing - he thoroughly chews his peanuts and shredded wheat.  An savors them:)

By that "logic", my dog would be what since he devours cardboard like it's the greatest thing on earth? How long do you think he'd survive on his preferred diet of cardboard?

Also, by that "logic" not all cats would be true carnivores...which they are, and dogs eating a vegetarian diet would be herbivores...which they're not.

Last edited by Huskyluv on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:33 pm

Not very long Val because he's a domesticated animal and unfortunately, his life is no longer subjected to pressures from biology alone.

Dogs, like the humans who have transformed their lives, eat garbage too.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Even undomesticated animals are subject to more pressures than biology alone. This is getting carried away.

I will bow out now...my kids need their momma. *children screaming in background*

Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:42 pm

Good luck. ^ +1 for biology trumps all Smile

This has sorta become a version of the nature vs nurture debate. Kinda interesting, me thinks.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Huskyluv wrote:

amymeme wrote:
Using the same logic as Jessica (and I do), Ami voraciously eats all sorts of foods so I consider him an omnivore.  He does, however, definitely have preferences: yes to peas and carrots, not to broccoli and brussels sprouts.  Also - the teeth thing - he thoroughly chews his peanuts and shredded wheat.  An savors them:)

By that "logic", my dog would be what since he devours cardboard like it's the greatest thing on earth? How long do you think he'd survive on his preferred diet of cardboard?

Also, by that "logic" not all cats would be true carnivores...which they are, and dogs eating a vegetarian diet would be herbivores...which they're not.

Which is why any and all treats (to which people food belong) are very small part of his diet (I actually do not consider them part of his diet - merely a taste to tickle his fancy) are kept to calorie wise, less than 100 per day give or take, and not every day, , cut to pea size and carefully doled out and only when sitting or lying down! Is cardboard considered carbohydrate Razz I know the cardboard slabs the pass for gluten free pizza are...

Jeff - sorry to hear about the diabetes, type 1, that takes some significant management attention. Yes, the biotechs do have there place in the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carnivore or Omnivore ???   Carnivore or Omnivore ??? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Carnivore or Omnivore ???

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3