It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What's Your Husky Story?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Juno's Dad
Puppy
Puppy
Juno's Dad

Female Join date : 2011-10-03

What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 3:04 pm

My adult son received Juno as a Christmas present from his fiance about 5 years ago.  She was purchased from a pet store who obviously had kept her in a kennel during her 9 months there. (*&%*$&@*%$)  After about 3 months with them he came to our house one day an asked if Juno could stay with us for a while since she and the resident Bijon were not getting along.  It also happened to be the same day I had lost my job due to downsizing.  That was five years ago and she has been the answer to all of the problems I "thought" I had in my life.

She changes her moods depending on my personality--and since I want her to always be happy I try to stay upbeat as much as possible.  She is so loving, intelligent, energetic, friendly, and "needy".  I can't imagine life without her.

I will post a pic as soon as I found out how.

Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 8:13 pm

My husky story actually started as a Newfoundland story lol. When my partner and I started looking at a house my main requirement was a backyard suitable for a dog and I immediately put my name down on the waiting list for a newfie puppy from a breeder I had picked out. I have grown up with gun dog breeds training for duck hunting and having a dog in my life was totally non negotiable. The house we eventually settled on had a large fully fenced yard completely suitable for a dog, however it also has a raised deck with steps which is definitely not suitable for a newfie. With a heavy heart I contacted the breeder and explained that this stage on my life was just not going to be ideal for a Newfie and I took my name off her list. Thus began the great puppy search...
I started attending dog shows throughout the south island meeting breeders and their lines, researching breeds and their traits and trying to figure out what breed we were most suited for. I looked at Retrivers, Labs, Dalmations, Briards, Wheatens, Shepards, Staffords, Collies, Heelers, Aussies, Rotties - you name it I looked at it but none of them just "felt" right.  
My partner had always loved Sibes but I was reluctant since I was aware of their quirks but after a year of looking I decided I had given everything else a shot so I arranged to meet a sibe breeder. As soon as I arrived at the breeders I was done for, walking up and being greeted by 7 wooing Siberians felt like coming home. I went visiting a few times just getting to know the dogs then took my partner along. As soon as he met the dogs he wanted a puppy so we put our name on the wait list and eagerly started preparing. When the pups were finally born my partner immediately picked out his ideal pup - black and white male, I was happy enough to go along with it since I had full confidence in the temperaments in the breeding line. The dog was going to be his best mate, all was well. We went and visited every weekend spending hours with our precious boy, we were absolutely besotted. After 2 years of searching for our dog Orion finally came home and I thought it was just going to get better now he was ours. 3 days after he got home my partner wanted to take him back. Turns out he had not taken on board anything about the breed while we were prepping he had just thought a puppy is a puppy. I refused to give Orion up and it nearly ruined my relationship but this dog is my heart dog. His personality is so much like mine and he has gotten me through some tough health issues and terrible days, he has allowed me to be more of myself. I doubt I will ever be owned by another breed. Luckily my partner has come around and actually likes Orion these days which is wonderful, most shocking of all he see's how happy I am and has agreed to another sibe if I decide I want one.
Having a husky for all the hell it initially caused me is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done.

Here's Orion and I last weekend Smile

What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 <a href=What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 Orionm10" />
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

Female Join date : 2014-10-01

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:15 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
They test you, push you, make you cry, make you laugh, and expose the most raw parts of your soul. They make you earn their bond, and just when it seems they could care less about you, they do something that shows how deeply they are bonded to you. So, yeah, they are special.

Wow, what a powerful statement, Jen. Your story is a true testament about the amazing quality of Huskies. While I'm sorry about the loss of Tasha, I'm also so glad for all she taught you, and so grateful to have you share her story and your love for the breed, as well as your knowledge and experience, with all of us. Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:34 pm

seattlesibe wrote:

Getting this Husky named Link and my relationship with him in particular is overwhelmingly the most romantic thing I have ever done. Our trio is the healthiest thing I have ever been a part of.  

That's my Husky story.

Omgosh, Jeff! I am loving these stories so much! It is just amazing and incredibly touching how these animals can truly make your life complete. I think it is so awesome how your dreams came full circle and you found the perfect partner who was totally on board with your goals. You waited so long and worked so hard to make all of this happen. I commend you for your patience and careful effort in bringing Link home and thank you for sharing this very important part of your life with us. Smile

Last edited by HuskyLovers on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:51 pm

Juno's Dad wrote:

She changes her moods depending on my personality--and since I want her to always be happy I try to stay upbeat as much as possible.  She is so loving, intelligent, energetic, friendly, and "needy".  I can't imagine life without her.

I will post a pic as soon as I found out how.

Aww, that's really sweet that you try to keep a positive mood so Juno will be happy. It sounds like she came into your life at the perfect time. I'm sure she has brought you through what could have been some very difficult times. These Huskies are such a gift. Thank you for sharing your story. Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 12:12 am

GeorginaMay wrote:
I refused to give Orion up and it nearly ruined my relationship but this dog is my heart dog. His personality is so much like mine and he has gotten me through some tough health issues and terrible days, he has allowed me to be more of myself. I doubt I will ever be owned by another breed. Luckily my partner has come around and actually likes Orion these days which is wonderful, most shocking of all he see's how happy I am and has agreed to another sibe if I decide I want one.
Having a husky for all the hell it initially caused me is without a doubt the best thing I have ever done.

Wow! (I can't stop saying that!) Your story just goes to show that the bond between a Husky and their person is beyond understanding. I am so glad you stood your ground, even with as much trouble as I know that had to cause you. You did the right thing and it must be such a relief that your partner finally came around. Thank goodness Orion has been there for you, to bring you through such hard times. This seems to be a common trait these precious canines share. The good times they bring surely outweigh the challenges they present. I am so thrilled that my family will soon experience this inexplicable joy themselves. I have a feeling nothing will ever be the same, and I mean that in the best way possible. Thank you for sharing your story and your photo! The love you have for Orion comes shining through. You are both beautiful! Smile
Back to top Go down
barbianj
Puppy
Puppy
barbianj

Male Join date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 am

I didn't really want a dog at the time. I had been working long days with not many off building our company. Not much time for enjoyment, but business was good. My wife had never been a dog person, but out of the blue, she and my 16 year old son announced they would like to get a puppy. Probably a Husky. Hmmmm. We hadn't had a dog since before we had kids. The puppy part didn't sit well with me, so I told them it was not a good idea. Puppies grow up to be dogs. The two of them decided to take it a little more seriously and started researching what it takes to raise and train a dog. Knowing full well what was involved, they still wanted a Husky. I agreed to go along with them, as long as all of us took lessons with a trainer. I have to admit, not having had a puppy before was a test, but Siku has grown into a very well behaved and beloved part of the family.

What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 20130831_152737_zpsdf5453c9
What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 20140926_080518-1_zpsuqkpgm0x
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 2:07 am

Aww, I can definitely see how Siku grew on you. I think insisting on training for the whole family was an excellent idea. From what I've read, this breed knows how to push a human's buttons and it's up to the human to set clear boundaries and stick to them. You have obviously done that, and done it well. Your story reminds me of my own, because I said no for a long time. It took a long time for the idea to grow on me, but now I can't wait to meet our little one. It's neat to see the pictures from puppy to adult. Siku is such a gorgeous dog! Thank you for sharing your story. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 pm

I've always wanted another husky - my first, Sasha died in the early '80's.  My husband absolutely did not want ANY pets, no way, no how.  Reasons: 1, they damage the house, 2, we travel a lot and 3, the up and die on you.

Well, first came the feral cat that had kittens in my shed...and the chipmunks around the foundation of the house.  Husband frantic about the chipmunks getting into the attic - me, I said, well, if we don't take these kittens to the shelter and I start feeding them close to the house, the chipmunks will be history.  Thus we became cat-keepers.

Fast forward 15 years...I have become semi-disable due to, at the time was thought MS, then other GI issues that turn out to be gluten and allergy stuff.  Much difficulty in walking with neurologic stuff.  Husband very worried about me - at the same time, the deer that winter decimated our rhododendrons on the front of the house.  It is early October - we are at a gas station, he is filling the tank, I am reading the morning paper...there is Ami's picture from a local shelter.  Husband gets in car, says "So what are we going to do about the deer this winter?"  I say, most hesitantly and secretly hopeful -"Well, if you really want to keep the deer away..."  And show him the picture.  Husband says, "that shelter is only a few minutes from here...do you want to take a look?"  

We went to the shelter - I saw Ami in the exercise yard - very alert, interested in our car approaching.  My main concern was could I handle him and walk him - at the time I could only walk a few hundred yards without pain, numbness etc.  They put him on a leash for me to try walking him (unbeknownst to me, he had a prong collar, something I had never heard of).  Ami responded very well to our little walk, picking up "heel" command within 3-4 practises.  The rest was history...after I signed away my life with husband:  I will pick up poop daily, I will walk the beastie boy twice daily, I will fill in any holes he digs promptly, I will repair any damage he does, this will be YOUR dog and you will be totally responsible for him...etc, etc, etc..

I truly believe this dog saved my life - along with stopping the gluten.  Fortunately for me, Ami had been kept on a very short tether most of his first year and so his exercise tolerance was pretty low also, we developed stamina together.  Unfortunately for me, he was thrilled to be in our country setting and there were many instances of me face first in the ditch as he pogo-sticked after little critters in the ditch, or ran 1000 mph along his trolley and flung himself into me with total joy (his joy, I was usually on my backside looking up at a zoomy husky in my face.)  

We have worked up to approx 5 miles per day, I am stronger than I have been in years, I can once again hike the woods and gorges around us.  And husband marvels, sometimes wistfully, that I am happier than he has ever seen me and that Ami was able to bring me to health when he could not.

And then, there is the Ami magic with husband.  Husband at first kept his distance, except for a night time ritual when I took Ami for his last walk of the day.  "Trick or treat".  I would bring Ami to the front door, Wayne would have several pieces of kibble that he would give Ami, once Mr. Dog sat for him.  First one hand, than the other.  Now they are best buds...yesterday, while stacking wood, for the first time ever, Ami cuddled up to a human!  Wayne was kneeling next to wood pile, picking up split logs and handing them to me to stack.  Ami was "semi-loose" (had a long line with heavy carabiner on the loop end for drag with his ecollar on).  After a while, Ami wanders over to Wayne, circled around and then lay down with his back snuggled up to Wayne's leg.  Usually Mr. Ami likes at least 3' of personal space.  This was a momentous change for us.  And now Hubby is hooked!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Hi Amy,

I am so happy I asked for these stories! Your story is amazingly captivating on so many levels. For one thing, I think it's wonderful that your health has improved the way it has. I'm interested in the gluten-free diet, because, as a nursing student, I think a lot of things get misdiagnosed that can actually be traced back to severe, undiagnosed food allergies. Of course, the fact that you and Ami were able to build physical endurance together and become so much healthier than you probably dared to hope is fantastic!

To think you were just looking for a way to keep the deer away, LOL! I think it's really sweet how Ami has decided that he has a special bond with your husband, especially since your husband was initially determined to keep his distance. Ami had other plans!

Obviously, Ami had been a wonderful addition to your lives. You never know about these things. It seems like they happen when you least expect them. Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 1:44 pm

Yes - Ami was totally unexpected! There have been several times in my life when it seems there is some invisible hand moving me/us in ways we absolutely would not without intervention...and always to the better. Even though at times, it seemed like the worst possible way. Moved this atheist to agnostic, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Ha ha. Oh yes. I was seriously low about Dizzy, and even thought about rehoming him for a while because I couldn't show him. Aside from the show potential not working out, he was just such a jerk of a dog, and an anxiety monster. I've noticed his jerkish/anxious/macho/gloomy moods are all reflections of my mood. If I want to know how I'm feeling, I just have to take Dizzy for a walk around the block...

I have to keep myself balanced to keep him from being a holy terror. Turns out, he's just the dog I needed...
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm

Jen, your last sentence reminded me of the best dog story I ever read: "Molly" by Thomas McGuane in An Outside Chance.
It's not about a husky, but it's laugh out loud funny and so true- we get the dog we deserve.
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 10:11 pm

amymeme wrote:
Yes - Ami was totally unexpected!  There have been several times in my life when it seems there is some invisible hand moving me/us in ways we absolutely would not without intervention...and always to the better.  Even though at times, it seemed like the worst possible way.  Moved this atheist to agnostic, that's for sure.

That's pretty cool, Amy! I'm glad you shared that! Smile

Carrie
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 10:13 pm

wpskier222 wrote:
If I want to know how I'm feeling, I just have to take Dizzy for a walk around the block...

I have to keep myself balanced to keep him from being a holy terror. Turns out, he's just the dog I needed...

That is such a trip, Jen. They sure fit the title of "Man's best friend." Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Can I just holler....2 MORE DAYS!!!! ACCCKKKK!!!!! Very Happy Razz bounce I love you Laughing Shocked drunken bom
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 10:30 pm

HuskyLovers wrote:
Can I just holler....2 MORE DAYS!!!! ACCCKKKK!!!!! Very Happy Razz bounce I love you Laughing Shocked drunken bom

Yes m'am. Yes you can lol! Can't wait to see the pics!
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 10:31 pm

I recommend sleeping constantly until you leave to go pick the monster up and then writing in a diary about how nice sleep is ........ Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 27, 2014 10:40 pm

Lol I second Jeff's recommendation and would strongly suggest you add a large supply of your favourite coffee beans to your kitchen Very Happy
Dark roast beans smothered in chocolate for snacking became a staple of mine... ah caffeine my fair weather friend I love you
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 12:29 am

seattlesibe wrote:
I recommend sleeping constantly until you leave to go pick the monster up and then writing in a diary about how nice sleep is ........ Wink

Ohhh, the memories, so long ago. First was the Sasha girl...then came kids...in retrospect, you can sleep in retirement Laughing
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 1:13 am

I really love how excited you are...makes me excited for you, and you also seem to have prepared yourself very well, you're gonna make an awesome husky parent/family. Smile
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 2:10 am

Aww, thanks for the laughs, everybody (in spite of the very serious need for the caffeine) as well as the positive encouragement! I can't believe the time is almost here! From all of the advice, you'd think I was going to have a baby...and in a way, we kind of are! Eeeeeee! I am SO Happy! (Remind me of this when I am a train wreck in a few days from lack of sleep, Ha!) I can't wait to post lots of pics, so be warned! lol!
Back to top Go down
HuskyLovers
Teenager
Teenager
HuskyLovers

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 2:13 am

BTW: Jimmy, any chance you will be at the all Siberian Nationals in SD this week? Smile
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 4:16 am

Link's dad and brother will be competing at nationals. I dare you to get a pic with them, ha!

His dad is Snoebear's Dueling in Defiance-Lance and his bro is Kalara's Party Like A Rockstar-Brody.

You should post updates for us.

Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
djannitto
Teenager
Teenager
djannitto

Male Join date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm

My husband and I had talked about getting a puppy for a long time, but kept telling ourselves that our house was too small, and being that it was on a main road and not fenced in, that we should wait until we moved. Well we all know what happened with the housing market! We didn't move! (until just now). So three years ago when we decided we were too old to start a family, we decided to forgo all those excused we were making and take the plunge by getting a puppy. For years my husband had talked of getting a husky. That's all he ever wanted. I personally, wasn't set on a specific breed. However, my good friend had two huskies who she loved, exercised very well and took great care of, but they were always getting loose and getting into mischief. I had decided a long time ago that although I knew that Huskies were sweet loving dogs, that I didn't want all that trouble. But when push came to shove, and after a lot of talking it out and researching, I decided that I didn't want to hold my husband back from something he always wanted, especially since I wasn't as tied to a specific type of dog.

Welcome Qannik! We picked him out from a breeder at 4 weeks old, and took him home at 8 weeks. My life has never been the same. The first year was mind-blowing! My life as I knew it was turned upside down. Through all our attempts at group training, personal training and exercise, our little guy was just too damn smart for us. Finally we found something that worked for us, and since then we are the most tight knit threesome!

I cannot express to you how much I love my dog. He is my life! My heart swells with love, pride and such incredible affection for him. We are told we spoil him, because we send him to daycare once a week and take him with him almost everwhere we can. My friend had to put down her 3 year old Bernese Mountain dog last week very unexpectedly due to kidney failure, and all I can say is that I plan to spoil my baby every day because you never know how much time you have!

Best of luck with you new little puppy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's Your Husky Story?   What's Your Husky Story? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's Your Husky Story?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next