It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

3 Huskies?...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:21 am

Ken and I have been going back and forth about getting a 3rd husky. I would like to have a ton if I could but we don't have the room, but could maybe do 3. I feel like a parent having kids! At this point we are coming up to having S&J for 2yrs. We are settled in and we are making good progress with them, they can be left out with little damage done while at work, I know I can handle walking them as well as camp and hike with out having ken around. I'm just not sure if I can still handle all that with 3, also finding a sitter for 3 is harder then 2. I think we can swing the money for food and vet. Do u think bringing in a 3rd will up set S&J? I'm toying with forstering a 15 month R&W girl for polaris to see how it goes but my fear is I'm gonna want to keep her. Anyone have any wisdom to pass on?...
Thank you

Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:51 am

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try fostering first, and if you can handle it, why not adopt her?
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:31 am

I'd say Malamute (heh, obviously not female), but you know me and Huskies. Just be ready for six months of settle in time, it will feel like it's not working but it will. Stupid sled dogs.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:25 am

Definitely try fostering first. Once we fostered the "third" (and it got a home, we weren't "foster failures" lol) We knew a 3rd would be alright and that we would enjoy it.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:08 pm

3 dogs in general is not much harder than two. I know it's easier said from someone with two smaller dogs but really the biggest challenge for us having 3 instead of 2 is walking and traveling. When I say walking is a challenge, it's not so much actually walking as it is juggling 3 leads and everyone getting wrapped around and tangled up. The hardest part of my walks to keeping everyone from getting tangled, myself included. Rolling Eyes God help you when all three are into something and going in opposite directions and physically overpowering. I can honestly say I would not walk 3 huskies at a time...if I want to make it home in one, uninjured piece that is.

We travel a lot and finding hotels and such that take more than 2 dogs is hard, most places only take 2 of them, which makes it a little harder to travel with and requires more pre-travel planning and preparation. We don't travel without our pets so boarding is not something we deal with. But when it comes to boarding at least the only concern is cost and not the number of dogs.

Other than that I wouldn't have any other major concerns so long as cost is no issue. I don't think adding a third will upset the other two, if anything it'll most likely be more fun with another playmate once everything settles and everyone is comfortable with each other.

I think fostering to test the waters is an excellent idea. What is it with the reds in your house?! You've got two reds and thinking of fostering another? Are reds your favorite? Razz

I will admit that I wish I could go back in time and undue bringing home my third dog. I was so happy with two and the opportunity to adopt the third presented itself and we jumped on it. Don't get me wrong we love all 3 of our dogs but I really think 2 was the magic number for us, unfortunately it took having 3 for me to realize that we're better off with 2 and now I'm stuck with the third for life because I believe each adoption is for life and will not send them back for any reason. I don't mean for that to discourage you in any way, we all have our preferences and that is mine. Perhaps fostering might have helped me see that we were better off 2 dogs instead of 3 but I highly doubt it.

I'm glad to see you considering saving another sibe and fully support you no matter what you decide.

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't have much else to add. I think fostering is a great idea, but like Eddy said, each dog takes about 6 months to fully mesh with the original pack. These things definitely take time.

However, I too applaud you and fully support whatever decision works for you and Ken Smile

3 Huskies?... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 pm

To Echo what Val said... 3 was a big difference from 2. The leads thing is really more obnoxious than you think! Personally, If I could do it all over again I would just continue to foster dogs. And if it's not a *perfect* fit, that's OK. Since it's just temporary. But also, there's a chance to find that dog who IS a perfect fit for your family. Fostering is hard, i'll admit it. But you have to listen to that voice in the back of your head. If you KNOW something just doesn't fit or it's not the right time to adopt, that voice will tell you. And it makes it easier to give them up because there IS someone out there looking for a dog like them.

Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Ive had 3 in the past and have 3 now .. I Think It Gives them structure and Keeps The More occupied .. I DO agree w The Mal .. Ha Im Soo happy W Our Mal he has been Such a Blessing !`.. My Huskies Girls Love him ..
I Hope You get Her And Find its Not much harder Smile
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 pm

http://www.polarishuskyrescue.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=3070853

this is the female Maui we are going to foster and see how it goes. we do dog sit Gunny from time to time and it might just be a gunny thing but to have him as a 3rd dog i say NO WAY! (eddy knows what im saying) so since he is our only experience as a 3rd dog we are going to try the fostering thing and maybe she will fit in and maybe not but it will give us a good idea with out having the full comment since its a foster.
she is a bit young as Jack will be 3 and sierra 8 in the next few months and if we do a 3rd i think i would like a 3-4yr old.

Yes Val reds are my favorite and if im gonna foster with the chance of attachment i would like it to be another red, i know thats so wrong of me but its how i feel...

thank you all for your suggestions and words of wisdom. and yes Eddy a Mal is always on my mind as well.
i will let you all know how it goes if we pick her up in the next few days.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:28 pm

I went to the surrender/adoption of Maui with Faith on Monday. And I've seen Maui. She's beautiful! Tall and lanky...a pretty prance...and FULL of energy!

The adoption didn't work out because the potential adopters had a small female and Maui is a rough player especially in the beginning. And the adopters thought Maui was just a little too big for their petite Mya. Besides the fact the female with female and Maui has dominance tendencies may not have been an ideal environment.

Maui also pulls on the leash very hard and almost took me down once and I'm not exactly small or weak.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I just want you to have as much info about Maui so you're better prepared. Maui may just be a different Husky once she gets into a pack setting with S&J.

Good Luck! You're awesome for fostering Maui!! And maybe it'll all workout and give you insight if 3 works for you!

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm gonna totally be that little devil on your shoulder telling you to DO IT!!! I've never had more than two dogs, but two dogs and a very-dog like cat was fun. :-) If you ever need a hand (or a break) or help with Maui, LMK - I'm happy to come dog nap for a while... My hubby doesn't want to foster because he's scared of falling in love and then giving it away, but if someone _else_ is fostering, he might be willing to do extended visits... ;-)

Whatever you decide to do, GOOD LUCK! She's a beauty!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Faith is bring her by tonight! wish us luck in at least the fostering part and we will go from there!!!

Adult
Adult
CoffeeK8

Female Join date : 2010-10-28

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 6:14 pm

YAY YAY YAY!!! Tell Faith "hi" for me and I'm sending you and Ken (and Sierra and Jack and now Maui) all the best "get along" and "hope it goes well" vibes...
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Good Luck Jenn!
Maui is a beauty!
...and if you need help, LMK...I work from home and make my own schedule, and I think I'm relatively close by (I think). So if you need someone to check on them, or let them out for a potty break, or anything...I'm here...

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Good luck Jenn! I hope everything goes well! I think if you are thinking about 3 and not sure yet, fostering is a really good idea. Smile

Question though- if she is dominant with other females, does Sierra have any dominance issues?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Maui showed small signs of dominance...but maybe it was because she's so much taller than the other female that the potential adopters had. Keep in mind, we watched them female-to-female. Not sure how Maui will be with Jack added in the mix with Sierra. Maui could be totally different in a pack-like setting with Jack and Sierra.

The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Better get your running shoes on, Jenn.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 7:48 pm

cmanding wrote:
Keep in mind, we watched them female-to-female. Not sure how Maui will be with Jack added in the mix with Sierra. Maui could be totally different in a pack-like setting with Jack and Sierra.
This is very true.

Heather, I had the same reservations, but I figured it would be silly not try considering Jack us in the mix. I say Jenn should go for it too Smile Sierra only has issues with small dogs from what I know and I don't remember Jenn saying she had any dominance issues otherwise. Smile

3 Huskies?... Hailey10
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 8:59 pm

First off let me say that Maui is sooooooooooo pretty!!!! I would totally fall in love with her and want to keep her! Other than that, I've never had 3 at once. I'm getting used to having 2!!!! If you do decide on 3 then congrats! I'm sure they'll keep you on your toes Wink
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Dying to know how this is going!!! Don't keep us chomping at the bit Jenn!!!!

Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Well she got here at about 5pm. Went right into the back yard and they worked it out. Maui is setteling in now and they are all eating raw hides. Maui has started with sierra 2 times and we stoped it as she was on top of sierra. We walked them and she was not that bad with the 2 of us. She is very tall and lanky. We will take it one day at a time and see how it goes with the forstering. Will post pics tomorrow

Husky Stalker
jbealer

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 am

Is it bad I want to call her Willow instead of maui?

cmanding

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 12:57 am

Is it because Willow comes out more naturally than Maui? Or is it because it's the name you'd want to give her if she was your own? Very Happy

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

3 Huskies?... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3 Huskies?...   3 Huskies?... Empty

Back to top Go down

3 Huskies?...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next