It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

tensing up when chewing a bone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2014-10-09

tensing up when chewing a bone Empty
PostSubject: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Bandit likes to tense up if I pet her while she is chewing a bone. She likes to be right next to me though. With a bone she'll cuddle right up next to me while chewing. I have done replacement techniques and they work great. I can take the bone without any problems. She doesn't do anything. Now if I get my face close to hers she shows teeth, not too much growling but I would assume that's normal. She doesn't fight it if I take it away. So is this alright or maybe still a little to possessive?
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-04

PostSubject: Re: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Do you think it's possessive? If so, what do you think is wrong with that, why is that a problem?
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 2:52 pm

Well I don't want something to happen when she older or if someone other than me tries to take something from her and she snaps or tries to bite. She doesn't Gove me any issues but I'm worries if she shows some possisiveness that she may bite someone other than me
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Ok , well honesty she sounds very well socialized to you and it doesn't sound like she has too much of a problem with you in her space . She just sounds annoyed when you stick your face in hers, and probably because, well, that's annoying if she's trying to enjoy her bone.

How likely is it that someone other than you is going to be doing this when she has a bone? A dog should be entitled to privacy and space at times, especially with bones. She needs to be able to just be a dog sometimes.

That said, you can work on the teeth baring but you might run the risk of stressing her out further and causing a reaction rather than just a warning.

What is her goal in doing this? Space. She's trying to tell you something and if she allows you to grab the bone and take it and allows you to pet her then I think you are st a great point of trust with her.

Pushing it might counteract that if you don't do it very precisely. I think it's okay to give dogs space when they are telling you they want it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm with you, Jeff.

I frequently have to pick burdocks, pine needles and other crap out of Ami's fur. He get's fed up with all the picking. Especially when he just wants to chill or get a belly rub. He gives a low "rrr" but you can tell he doesn't want to be growling, he looks anxious and "please, mom, don't be mad at me but I've had enough..." So when he tells me "enough", I respect that. I have absolutely no worries that he will hurt anyone...unless I allow someone to seriously abuse him (and that though makes me sick to my stomach...)
Back to top Go down
cosmothunder
Teenager
Teenager

PostSubject: Re: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 8:24 pm

I just had a friend take the bone. Not a single reaction other than the look"but... But that's mine" puppy dog eyes and all. I guess I'm just a worried ward lol
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

PostSubject: Re: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone EmptyFri Nov 21, 2014 8:35 pm

Remember this too: it will become a big deal if you make it one. They mirror us, so always be calm and casual around her bones. No big deal.

She'll follow suit and respect you for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tensing up when chewing a bone   tensing up when chewing a bone Empty

Back to top Go down

tensing up when chewing a bone

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1