It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Possible new owner in Philadelphiably

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kuroshio
Newborn
Newborn
Kuroshio

Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Empty
PostSubject: Possible new owner in Philadelphiably    Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 3:07 pm

Hello all. As the title states, I am interested in getting a Husky possibly in as little as 3 weeks. And since I generally dislike jumping blindly, I thought it best to do some research. Hence my arrival here. Ok calm, measured greeting done. On to normality Very Happy

I've always loved the "wolf" appearance of dogs. I love all dogs in general. But there's a certain appeal to the wolf appearance. My first dog (kinda since I was too young to actually own anything) was a German Shepard. Mom said she had to give Missy away because she "didn't think a 6 year old should own a lethal weapon". But based on my memories of how protective Missy was and stories from others, I think Ma didn't like the fact Missy wouldn't let her discipline me. Thus no more dogs until I got Kai, my now 5 year old Shiba Inu.

My girlfriend at the time asked what I wanted for my birthday and I, half jokingly, said a dog. When she said Ok, not joking at all, my first choice was a Husky. Which she objected to because of size. Seeing how Kai and a 2nd Shiba Inu could control her when they only weighed 25 lbs apiece it was a valid concern.

So that's my dog life. I have experience with dogs that are smarter than some people walking the street. More stubborn than a mule (Kai would simply flop on the sidewalk and "force" my ex to carry him home some times). Able to generate a 2nd dog when they blow their coat. And absolutely loyal and utterly devoted to me. I know he's not a Husky but I'll attach pics of Kai cause Hey! We all love dog pics. Most of my questions will be about things like housebreaking (Kai pretty much did it himself) and most importantly acclimating a new puppy with Kai. He won't care. He loves all animals. But he hasn't dealt with a puppy since he was 1 year old.

Kai's first day home
Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Th_94887f0b

Kai today
Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Th_20140121_122318-1_zpsryhpfzmh

Dog park time
Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Th_20140907_151433_zps8b2a7d62

Kai on any normal day
Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Th_Facebook-20140222-081821_zpsed66d4ca
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Possible new owner in Philadelphiably    Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 3:52 pm

Welcome to the forum!! Ask questions many people here to help, and an excellent search base as well, tons of info. I have only had German Shepherds and Huskies in my life, and have only had one dog at a time. Many folks have multiples, and huskies can vary in size, depending on where you get one, females quite often weigh in their 40's (mine weighs well over 65) where males can be closer to 55 or 60 pounds. Although, since it's in their genes to pull, I swear they can pull as if they weigh 200 pounds, lol. It's all about training. Huskies are extremely smart, they get their bad rap at not being smart because they are stubborn and independent thinkers. Do your research on the breed, ask your questions to us, since we have first hand experience. I wish you luck in whatever decision you make. I for one will never have another breed(unless a Gsd comes my way). Btw, Kai seems larger than 25 pounds, he is beautiful. I do not know the breed well(Shiba Inu) I do know they are a spitz type dog, so I presume they would have similar traits to the Husky, since they too are spitz type breed. A good example is how Kai threw a fit on the side walk and made your ex carry him home, although you would have to do something else if your full grown husky did this, may times they are to big to pick up and carry, lol
Let us know on what you decide.

Renee
Back to top Go down
Kuroshio
Newborn
Newborn
Kuroshio

PostSubject: Re: Possible new owner in Philadelphiably    Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 3:08 am

I always get the "I thought he was bigger" when people who have seen his pictures finally meet him. The camera apparently does add 10 lbs. I'm guessing it's a lack of perspective. These pics may help

Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Th_20141109_091207-1_zpsxozmpoao Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Th_20140907_151117-1_zpsjf7g4ncl

As far as the breed goes, I found this blog after already picking up Kai. If I had read it before, I'd probably gone with a goldfish... cracker http://shibainus.ca/tms-in-a-nutshell-or-blast-from-the-past/ Reading over a few of the threads here I'd say imagine a husky on meth. Kai is actually atypical of the normal Shiba temperment. Kia, the other Shiba my ex took, was the one that blog warns you about. They're very much about the "Ok I understand what you want but what's in it for me?" mentality.

I'm not too concerned with training. Kai will never earn a CGC cert, mostly because after 5 years "buzzing the tower" is about as good as can be expected when using the Come command (but emergency recall is burned into his brain). So I've done fairly well there. One chief concern is the free run of the house. Kai has had it since he was a year old. The only thing he ever shreds is paper. And that's pretty rare. Crating the new pup probably won't be an option because when Kia was being crated (at night, during house training, etc) Kai would simply go spring her from the crate if he wanted to play.
Back to top Go down
Kuroshio
Newborn
Newborn
Kuroshio

PostSubject: Re: Possible new owner in Philadelphiably    Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Since the blog appears down atm, I'll share a description of Shiba temperment that was written on it

Shibas are completely and utterly cute, adorable, sweet, lovable… and psychotic. (A severe mental disorder, with or without organic damage, characterized by derangement of personality and loss of contact with reality and causing deterioration of normal social functioning.) Well, they are to you. But then again, insane people always think you’re nuts. Shibas have no clue why you don’t want them to kill Thumper or play tag on the freeway.Shibas have a high prey drive. High. Greyhounds run, Border collies herd, Labs retrieve… Shibas kill things. Lots of things. Things you didn’t think could be killed, like the toilet seat or your down comforter. By the way, how is your gerbil? Heard the wheel spin lately? I’d better check if I were you. wrote:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible new owner in Philadelphiably    Possible new owner in Philadelphiably  Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible new owner in Philadelphiably

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1