It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Me and Blu's story

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

Me and Blu's story Empty
PostSubject: Me and Blu's story   Me and Blu's story EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Well hello everyone, It's been quite awhile since i've visited these forums (and i have good reasons... unfortunetly). I've actually been avoiding writing this up for quite awhile now, and honestly dont think i nessicarily need to but i wanted to share the story with you all.

So a bit of back story, i have a seizure disorder... not really sure what type it is honestly (im still getting tests done to find out exactly what type of them im having). and i've had them for close to the past 10 years now. I've gone to doctors for them before in the past but i've recieved no help with them due to me not having any medical insurance at the time.

Anyway about 4 months ago thing's where starting to look good for me, i finally found an apartment to rent that would allow me to have blu there that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg in additional fee's each month. i got a raise at work and was living comfortably and manageing to put quite a bit of money aside so that i could start working on my collage education. on top of that i was given a few grants to help out with that i had applied for in the past, i also got accepted as a international exchange student so i could go to a school in a foreign country... that was a huge bonus. needless to say thing's where really turning out for the best... that is until i got up at 5am to take blu out for a early jog on the beach.

I got up and i felt perfectly fine, i live on the third floor of my apartment building... it's about 28 steps from the street to my door. we got down to maybe the second floor and suddenly i had what is probably the worst seizure i've had in the past 10 years. i fell down 14 stairs i not only dislocated my right femor from my hip but i also broke it and i got 5 fractures in my spine plus a few scraps and bruises here and there. thankfully blu wasn't injured in the slightest just very scared and shaken. luckily one of my naighbors was sitting on her front porch reading the paper when this went down and called the ambulance and attempted to get blu in the house for me. she eventually did but it required the promise of cheese and peanut butter (lol i was betrayed for cheese and peanut butter!) i got to the hospital and obviously i needed to have surgery, they had to insert a rod in my leg going from my knee cap to my hip along with a few pins and screws to i guess keep the bone in place... i done remember the specifics of what the doctor told me, they had me so doped up on pain killers.

Anyway after the surgery i found out just how limited i would be and for how long and my aunt suggested that i find a new home for blue, because i wouldn't be able to so much as take him out for a pee for the next 6 months let alone give him the minimum exercise he needed. it was a very VERY tough decision to make... blu was and still is my best buddy, i've had him since he was not much bigger then a sandwhich from subway. so needless to say being told i needed to give him away... i did not take that very well at all. I tryed to call up friends and family to see if they could help me out with him, but either they couldn't have dogs in there house because of landlord rules or too busy or whatever. so my aunt helped me find a very nice home for him.

She got him in a home with two other huskies, two teenage kids on a large property in the mountains of PA. I wish i could of been given the chance to atleast say goodbye to him, but i couldn't even get out of my hospital bed to go to the bathroom let alone get downstairs to say bye to my boy. However im sure he's happy with his new family now.

two weeks after my surgery i got out of the hospital and sent to a rehab facility, got to meet some very interesting people and hear there stories, also got to help some elderly patients out with there rehab (mostly stroke patients) and got to see a therapy dog show for the first time... it was very interesting and the handlers where very nice and seemed really dedicated to what they where doing. i was suprised at how calm the dogs where... i could never get blu to be that quiet around that many people.

Anyway thing's are finally starting to look up for me, im starting to be able to walk on my own again (which is alot harder then i thought it would be) i've got about 2 more months left of physical therapy. getting back on my feet with school and my finacials again, and i will be moving to japan next september (kyoto to be exact... if anyone is from the area, or familiar with it) and i'll be there for the next 3 years on and off (only coming home for holidays and summer break). should be a fun expirence... although not knowing the language and hate sea food will be a bit rough but im sure i'll manage somehow. I'll be taking extra classes for the language part... and i guess i'll have to survive with just eatting peanut butter sandwhiches.

Anyway sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, wasn't quite sure where to throw it in.

Side note: according to the ER doctor that i had in the hospital, the pain i was having was as close as i could get to child birth pain, and i have to say ladies... i tip my hat to you, because holy crap. I've broken plenty of bones in my youth (fingers arms toes ribs) but this was on a entirely different level... hell i've been stabbed with a pencil before didn't even compare to this.

God bless you ladies.
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

Me and Blu's story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Me and Blu's story   Me and Blu's story EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi Charlie. Thank you for sharing your story. Man, you sure have been through a whole lot so fast.
Just curious, do you have contact with the people that ended up with Blu, that you can get updates, or anything of the like?

Oh I love therapy dogs. The most recent encounter was pretty enlightening. My daughter got bit by the neighbors pit bull, and here we were, sitting in the ER, up comes a Therapy dog. My daughter sitting there with a dog bite, happy to see a dog and giving him love and petting him... really made me proud that my daughter could tell the difference between dog demeanor and not be afraid. (BTW she is only 5)

I am glad your therapy is going well, I am sure you will be up and going in no time. What kind of classes are you taking/will be taking? I am currently trying to get myself into college, and I still have a few things to decide on, but the most likely choice is going to be graphic designing.

I wish you well, and hope that things keep looking up for you.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Me and Blu's story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Me and Blu's story   Me and Blu's story EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 2:49 pm

Charlie, I am so sorry to hear of your accident and having to rehome Blu

Hopefully, your time in Japan will be a good one!
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

Me and Blu's story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Me and Blu's story   Me and Blu's story EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Sorry to hear about the difficult time you are going through, a very touching story. I think a lot of owners would have had a hard time doing such a selfless thing like you did. I know I would have had a very hard time with that. It was so kind of you to rehome him so he could live a great life. Best wishes in Japan!
Back to top Go down
Clm
Teenager
Teenager
Clm

Male Join date : 2012-11-22

Me and Blu's story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Me and Blu's story   Me and Blu's story EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks everyone, dont think what i did was nessicarily selfless... just it was what had to be done. as fur parents it is our responibility from the time we take ownership of our pets to do anything and everything in the best interest of our pets health and well being both mentally and physically.

Unfortunetly no i do not have contact with the new family, my dad and aunt have the familys facebook page but wont give it to me... i guess they're afraid of me falling back into depression again. i still cant even look at pictures of him anymore. so perhaps me not having it is for the best.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

Me and Blu's story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Me and Blu's story   Me and Blu's story EmptySat Dec 27, 2014 3:44 pm

Clm wrote:
Thanks everyone, dont think what i did was nessicarily selfless... just it was what had to be done. as fur parents it is our responibility from the time we take ownership of our pets to do anything and everything in the best interest of our pets health and well being both mentally and physically.

Unfortunetly no i do not have contact with the new family, my dad and aunt have the familys facebook page but wont give it to me... i guess they're afraid of me falling back into depression again. i still cant even look at pictures of him anymore. so perhaps me not having it is for the best.

Worse than the sadness of seeing the pics of him is often not knowing. You might want to tell your family that seeing the Facebook page might give you closure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Me and Blu's story Empty
PostSubject: Re: Me and Blu's story   Me and Blu's story Empty

Back to top Go down

Me and Blu's story

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1