It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

One year old husky is really small

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
HuskyElsa
Newborn
Newborn
HuskyElsa

One year old husky is really small Empty
PostSubject: One year old husky is really small   One year old husky is really small EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi everyone! This will be my first post and I am very excited to hear everyone's input.
I have a one year old Siberian Husky named Elsa. She is very beautiful like all the huskies out there! However, she is very small. I've always noticed her size but after a recent visit to the dog park, Elsa is significantly smaller than her female counter parts.
She recently had an unexpected litter, and I think it may have stunted her growth. However, she's always been fairly small in size and is mistaken to be a young puppy.
She is currently 35lbs which is considered average for a female. Her coat is also very thin aside from the big fluff around the neck.
She is still very energetic and loves to constantly play so nothing about her behavior seem out of ordinary. I am very curious to outside input, is there anything I can feed her to help her coat and put on some weight for her?
She is very very slim, and when brushing her I can feel her bones. I try to feed her high protein diet, giving her chicken and fish.
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: One year old husky is really small   One year old husky is really small EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:26 pm

Ouch, having a litter at her age isn't a good thing but it's past so I'll just drop that there.

Husky's are sorta like people, some of them are short, some tall; some fat and some skinny (though I'd prefer to call them svelte); some have long hair and some have very thin coats ....

From your description, I'd be more inclined to suggest that she's just one of the smaller Husky's; I have a Sibe whose coat is thick but not a wooly and an Alaskan whose coat resembles that of a shepherd (except he does develop a second coat). Neither of these are unusual ... Husky's are just different dogs.

When you say that you can feel her bones when you're brushing her, that's about right ... you shouldn't be able to see her ribs but with a healthy dog, you should be able to feel her ribs.

What you don't say - and it helps a lot - is where you are, Sasha is just now developing her undercoat while most of the Husky's here have probably had theirs for a month or so already.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: One year old husky is really small   One year old husky is really small EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 12:36 am

I think everything that Al said is pretty much spot on. One more thing is that she is still really young. She might end up filling out a little bit and adding a couple of pounds still, but not too many unless she's actually thin in an unhealthy way. She's definitely on the smaller, but still normal side for a husky.
Back to top Go down
Shredder13
Newborn
Newborn
Shredder13

Male Join date : 2014-03-04

PostSubject: Re: One year old husky is really small   One year old husky is really small EmptySat Jan 17, 2015 5:17 pm

I was about to post the same thing but I guess I'll just add on here. Shredder turned 1 years old last month and I thought he would be bigger. I haven't weighed him lately but a couple of months ago he weighed in at 39 pounds, but that was when he was sick. He's probably around 41-43 pounds right now. His father and his brother are much bigger than he is but they're also not neutered. I neutered Shredder around 6 months I believe.

The other thing that bothers me is that I can't feed him more than two cups of food a day. I know that most people on this forum have said that 2 cups is normal for their huskies but Shredder is ALWAYS hungry. If I feed him any more than 2 cups, he has soft stools or the dreaded D word. He is currently eating Blue Wilderness. Is it possible he's getting too much protein? Should I switch over to something like Blue Freedom instead? Its 34% protein vs. 27% for the Freedom.
Back to top Go down
Artic_Wind
Senior
Senior
Artic_Wind

Male Join date : 2014-07-23

PostSubject: Re: One year old husky is really small   One year old husky is really small EmptySun Jan 18, 2015 12:49 am

^ @Harmon/Shredder13...I have my two on Blue Freedom since they were puppies, they seem to be doing really well on it. Also, my Mishka (girl) is slightly smaller (at almost 10 months) than your Shredder...she is growing, just more slowly than any of my other Huskies have...I think its just the way it is, some grow fast, others more slowly. Im sure Shredder is fine. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One year old husky is really small   One year old husky is really small Empty

Back to top Go down

One year old husky is really small

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1