It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Greetings from Corpus Christi!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CyberSlush
Newborn
Newborn
CyberSlush

Greetings from Corpus Christi! Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Hello! I have a 2.5 year old female Husky named Slush and we are excited to get to know you.

We recently moved to South Texas, and while Slush was used to the heat in Florida it will be much hotter here this summer. Any ideas for keeping a husky entertained indoors during the hot summer?? sunny
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 12:26 pm

Hide and seek games and you can work on training.

Also long lasting chews, stuffed kongs, etc.

We are in south Louisiana! Welcome to the forum. Smile

davecerv
Adult
Adult
davecerv

Male Join date : 2014-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Welcome!
Nice name by the way "Slush"
My boy is only 4 months and those big wobbler kongs entertain him for a good while with kibble inside. I like to put a sock over so not only does he have to play the balancing game but first take off the sock (which drives him crazy) but eventually he gets it off and carries on with wobbling the thing to get kibble to pop out.
I realize this technique might not work when he's older but he never tries to eat the sock, he only chews on it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/davecerv
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 4:50 pm

Addenda to my other post - you'll actually need to be more careful in Corpus than I am over here.  The natural lack of humidity here helps keep my dogs cooler that the high humidity over in Corpus will.

If you don't know or haven't already looked, there are several informative sites, like this from WebMD, that explain heat stroke in dogs.

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyThu Feb 19, 2015 6:29 pm

Florida to Corpus, huh? You aren't, by chance, a flight student are you?

Welcome! Corpus isn't terribly different from Florida from what I've heard, and you'll probably find that Slush isn't as active during the summer. When I lived in Pensacola, we did a lot of puzzle games, frozen treats, and walked Ghost either early in the morning or after dark when it was really hot. We also had a kiddie pool in our backyard for her, but you do need to watch mosquitoes with those. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Greetings from Corpus Christi! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
JAM
Newborn
Newborn
JAM

Female Join date : 2015-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 9:14 am

Greetings!

Lucky you- Make sure to send some heat my way Smile
I'm tired of the cold weather and snow. I'd definitely suggest Kongs, working on training indoors.. I also know that there is a ton of indoor facilities you can rent for the day to bring your dog too, is there any out that way? It definitely might be something to consider because they generally are large enough to play fetch in Smile
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 11:56 am

I honestly have to say, if the heat is too much, husky will probably become a rug in the shade. At least that's what Ami does. Of course, he IS a wooly one and prefers the single digits...
Back to top Go down
CyberSlush
Newborn
Newborn
CyberSlush

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 7:23 am

Thanks for the advice!
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:20 am

Nice, welcome to the forums!

My old boss recently moved to Corpus Christi for her new job as a library director. Apparently it's nice and warm there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tyler.jenkins.125
Teenager
Teenager
tyler.jenkins.125

Male Join date : 2015-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 9:52 am

Welcome to the forum! I saw your avatar and could SWEAR it was the dog that got angry because the girl pretended to throw the ball...

Here is the picture because I'm not very articulate...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3118322/If-looks-kill-Hilarious-moment-mean-looking-husky-impressed-owner-pretending-throw-ball-him.html

Back to top Go down
http://tylerjenkinsmusic.com/
CyberSlush
Newborn
Newborn
CyberSlush

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 9:02 am

Haha too funny- ours definitely has a similar personaility and this totally could've been her!
Back to top Go down
ShifuHuy
Newborn
Newborn
ShifuHuy

Male Join date : 2015-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 2:45 pm

welcome to the forum! Im from Houston and its HOTTTT
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 4:08 pm

@shifuhuy = it's not hot in Houston, it's humid in Houston!! (Accuweather says that it's 85 with 70% humidity!) It's pushing 95 here in the Big Bend but even with all the rain we've been having it's only about 30% humidity - and that makes a big difference, my 95 is comfortable, your 85 is unbearable!!

“Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.”

Corey Ford                    .
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 3:51 pm

welcome to the forums. i usually use frozen kong treats or food is dispensing toys. although i have also seen puzzle toys, always wanted to try them.
here's a good place for some frozen kong filings http://www.k9instinct.com/blog/more-delicious-recipes-to-fill-your-dogs-kong-with-part-2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Corpus Christi!   Greetings from Corpus Christi! Empty

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Corpus Christi!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1